How a computer engineer charges a phone on a motorcycle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a bit of engineering marvel. I have an I Phone and now a Samsung Tab 3 8.0. I also have one of those aux. batteries that holds enough charge to charge everything for days. The battery can fit into a riding jacket pocket with the iphone or in my tank bag. This makes the glove box charger unnecessary for most things.

Finally got the bike out for a road test for about an hour. Phone charged the entire time! I had no reason to think it wouldn't, but it was a nice icing on the cake of what I think is a pretty successful farkle.

Nicely done! Any chance you can reconfigure the charging system on Iphone 5 so I can implement the same farkle you just created?

Nicely done! Any chance you can reconfigure the charging system on Iphone 5 so I can implement the same farkle you just created?
Easily. You need a case for the iPhone 5 that gives you the Qi standard for wireless charging, since the iPhone doesn't support it natively.

For example something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/YIPIN-Standard-Wireless-Charger-Receiver/dp/B00F95E944/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396381046&sr=8-3&keywords=qi+iphone+5

Slap a case like that on and you can do the exact same mod as I did. With the added case, you may not need the neoprene foam to prevent it from rubbing against the pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, I'm confused. I thought the FJR was for riding, not phone charging.
What's the matter with you people?
You try spending 5 months in a cave surrounded by snow and ice Mark... We have to do something to keep entertained.
tonguesmiley.gif

Like the theory, but i kinda lost the concept of what you wanted to initially achieve? as i have never ,as yet,over 20years of phone ownership had the need to charge my phone on a bike.

I would have thought that getting a phone with a battery life of say 7hours,spare phone battery in pocket for emergency if living off grid for a few days.

Charge it all before leaving home. Switch on if you need it,switch off when not in use.

If touring , mains charge phone in morning, charge phone again at hotel stop.

I too am an engineer and i see alot of expensive ideas and r+d budgets blown on solving problems that dont exist .

In saying that i am to first to see how anything new works and what benefits it will create, but some techy stuff is just a gadget.

Good work though.