How a computer engineer charges a phone on a motorcycle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesignFlaw06

Reaction score
For the longest time, I've had a phone charger in the glove compartment. I run GPS, music, route tracking, etc. while on the bike.With my last phone, I had to buy a right angle micro USB and get it in there just right to get it to fit. Wasn't always easy. That phone was broke in an ill-fated air hockey game so my latest phone is the Droid MAXX. The MAXX supports wireless Qi charging. Hmmm
grin.gif
, I got an idea!

Wireless charging works with coils in the device and the charging station. With the coils lined up, the device can inductively charge. A Kickstarter project caught my eye a while back called Tylt. Tylt is somewhat unique because it has 3 coils instead of 1 allowing easier alignment of the phone's coil.

01.jpg

When I saw this picture, I thought I might be able to make something work.
02.jpg

When it arrived, it looked even better from a size and fit standard. On top of that, it ran off 12V instead of the 19V I had seen on the other chargers. That meant I wouldn't have to step up voltage, which was a bonus. The 3 coils meant being precise about the positioning wasn't as much of an issue. Got the glove box out of the bike and sized it up.

03.jpg

Yup! Looks like it's going to fit! Had to remove a couple support fins to really get it in the right spot, but it was pretty close from the start.
04.jpg

Nick (naskie18) came over this weekend to help me on this project. He's mechanical, I'm electrical and that's pretty much how the work divides out on all of our projects. Now that we knew the coil wold fit, I needed a way to keep the phone in place against the side of the glove compartment. Nick came up with this idea. Using the top half of the housing, add one more bend, and trim the plastic until it fit.

05.jpg

I took cut up a can coozie to line the pocket with so my phone wouldn't get scratched up. Nice little neoprene cover. Attached the new pocket into the glove box.
06.jpg

With a little JB Weld and caulk, I attached the coil to the back of the glove box housing. Sealed up to protect from the elements just in case. The wires run out though a 12V regulator.
07.jpg

Phone fits! Box fits back into the bike!
08.jpg

Time for the moment of truth!
09.jpg

TADA!
10.jpg

We did some shake testing with the phone and the box before we put it back in the bike. Phone is pretty secure in there and never lost charging status while we did it. Still too cold and wintery to do a road test, but I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me Likey! Just one thing though. Have you thought about the heat issue? That glove compartment gets so hot, you can fry an egg in there. Just a thought! Nice work! :)

don't they make plugs to fit the charging port on an iphone?

Sure, but he wanted wireless charging which won't work with an iPhone.

The world needs guys like DesignFlaw (by the way that's a pretty horrible nick name for an engineer). Back long ago it was a guy like him that was roasting his mammoth meat to a tender and juicy medium on a rotating spit over a fire, while my ancestors were gnawing on raw bones. However, it's a reasonable proposition that my ancestors smacked his ancestor on the side of his head with a rock because they considered his invention to be the spawn of evil spirits. We've given up gnawing and rocks, but I still think his work is influenced by the black arts.
tonguesmiley.gif

Nicely done - I'm definitely "not electrical" - I'm having trouble wrapping my arms around "How does amperage fly though thin air?" No point in answering, I probably won't understand it anyway.

Nicely done - I'm definitely "not electrical" - I'm having trouble wrapping my arms around "How does amperage fly though thin air?" No point in answering, I probably won't understand it anyway.
We may deduce through inductive reasoning that the charging is being done by magnetic waves
blinksmiley.gif
Seriously.

Umm wow! A+++ for ingenuity.

Being a lazy computer engineer, I just run a cord to the RAM mount, or to my tank bag if it is raining. :)

no piccies show?
Some company firewalls block the no-ip.org domain name which is what I'm using. Try it from home and it may work, or I can send an alternative link if you really would like to see.

Thanks for the kind words. I was really happy with the way it turned out. As for the heat concerns, my phone is insured. If I need to I can add a small fan without an issue. Don't see much reason that it will heat up much more than when I was charging with a cable.

The one side effect while putting back together, I lost the locking capability of the glove box on ignition. I say side effect because it doesn't really bother me. I keep my cover for the J&M there. When I wash the bike, now I won't have to turn it on to grab the cover.

I do have a new bluetooth adapter that I need to install. I rewired the buttons on that for previous and next track to some external ones. I have some waterproof buttons that I can keep on the outside. Tried to install it while I was doing this, but I made an oops and may have fried the adapter. At least I have some practice for the next one I guess.