Windscreens again...I got to do it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan

Reaction score
I know this is an old and covered topic. After searching this forum for sometime I have read many opinions and seen much information on aftermarket windscreens. There has been one aspect that I haven't seen mentioned, though I haven't read every post, and that is the issue that has bothered me most since I first rode my 06 FJR with the stock shield and it is....I have never had a bike that produces the "roar" that the stock screen produces around my helmet when in the up position. I'm not being buffeted but am bothered by the howl that the airflow is producing. In warmer weather I ride with the screen in the lowest position and I can't complain much about the sound in this configuration. I did install a laminar lip and it helped a little but not enough. I could raise it some more and will when the weather warms. So clean airflow is not my quest but a much more quiet ride when I have the screen up for colder weather is what I seek. I'm 6ft have a 32 inseam and the seat is in the up mode. The seat and handlebars are stock. I have been eying the Vstream due mostly to their advertising showing the design of the shield taking the vortex away from the head but that is advertising. The Vario screen from Twisted Throttle looks interesting because of it's adjustments. If anyone could shed light on this old subject I would appreciate the info. Thanks

I know what you went through....

But windshields, oil and tires are in the same Oh crap those again topics....

It took 2 windshields for me to find the right one for me... I went the OEM touring route.. still have the cee bailey sitting in the box waiting for its new owner....might change my mind once I get a few hundred miles behind it... but what the hey... thats what this fourm is for... selling the stuff you dont want anymore

Besides the stock windshield I have the Givi and California Science - Tall (Gen II). For max airflow you can't beat the stock shield. The problem is it is so short you can't get rid of the wind noise without slouching down... and for tall guys it may prove to be impossible. The Givi works well for me in that respect. I'm 5'8" and it cuts out everything but the engine noise when I dial it all the way up. It is just under two inches taller than stock. In the down position I get adequate airflow for 85+ days.

The Cal-Sci screen is the best for stopping noise... and at 3.5 inches taller than stock it is really tall for me. My problem with it is the heat bubble that forms behind it. It's about 3 inches wider than stock and I can't get any airflow to cool me down. I kept it because I think it is going to be ideal for winter.

My search ended when I installed my Rifle,, I'm 5'10 - 32" inseam, had the V-stream and the Cee Baily, both are good screens but niether really did it for me or my SO.

I also have the Vstream,it's pretty good,but I'm still searching for Nirvana!

For the shorter rider the vario could be

what you're looking for.

It has a good airflow without much turbulence and you can alter the height of the top part to

suit your height.

It's hard to answer a windshield question. What works for one may not the other. I just put a VStream on mine and really like it. It is much quiter than stock when I raise it up some, about the same when all the way down and for me I get no buffetting in any position. It may prove to be to hot in the summer and but I'll have to wait and see. I really have no problems with the stock screen if I get my earplugs in right 9which doesn't always happen). If they are wrong the the noise is killer. If it happens with the VStream I just raise it up a bit more and I can ride without the roar.

Gary

Thank all you guys for responding to my topic and providing your insights. I know there is no, one specific make that will do the same job for everyone and I realize all the variables that attribute to this. My hope was that I could possibly find more of a consensus on this subject but alas....no luck. This I know, the stock screen emits the loudest wind noise I have ever experienced through a helmet. Wearing ear plugs is my only relief when it's in the up position. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and purchase something (I'm leaning toward the Vstream.) and if that doesn't work then I'll try something else, like some of you have done. Again thanks to all for the feedback. PdqFjr

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank all you guys for responding to my topic and providing your insights. I know there is no, one specific make that will do the same job for everyone and I realize all the variables that attribute to this. My hope was that I could possibly find more of a consensus on this subject but alas....no luck. This I know, the stock screen emits the loudest wind noise I have ever experienced through a helmet. Wearing ear plugs is my only relief when it's in the up position. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and purchase something (I'm leaning toward the Vstream.) and if that doesn't work then I'll try something else, like some of you have done. Again thanks to all for the feedback. PdqFjr

Dan one other thing to keep in mind that I haven't seen mentioned here is helmets. I tried three different helmets with the same windshield and was amazed the difference in wind noise. I have also tried several different windshields. The other amazing thing was two of the three helmets are flip up's and they are both quietier than my Shoei TZR full face helmet. As of right now I use a Shoei multitec flip up helmet with a VStream windshield for cold weather use and I have a CB stock size dark smoke windshield with a Laminar lip for summer use. These two shields work the best for me.

Dan one other thing to keep in mind that I haven't seen mentioned here is helmets. I tried three different helmets with the same windshield and was amazed the difference in wind noise. I have also tried several different windshields. The other amazing thing was two of the three helmets are flip up's and they are both quietier than my Shoei TZR full face helmet. As of right now I use a Shoei multitec flip up helmet with a VStream windshield for cold weather use and I have a CB stock size dark smoke windshield with a Laminar lip for summer use. These two shields work the best for me.

FJR Pilot: I had given the helmet aspect some consideration and you could have a point. I'm on my second HJC flip up. I like these helmets though I don't think they are constructed as well as the Shoei, which I have also previously owned. It was a full faced non flip up helmet. I have ridden other bikes and can not complain about noise in the HJC's and this includes bikes with no fairings. When my stock shield is in down position I have no complaints. Having two windshields such as you do may be the way to go and I'll keep that as an option. By the way I have ridden in your area quite a bit and plan on heading back to Lake George this early fall. The Adirondacks are a great place to ride. We have great roads in the area I live in, Shenadoah Valley and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Your mountains are full of lakes and there are no lakes, other than man made, in my part of the country. Thanks for the info and reply...Dan

FJR Pilot: I had given the helmet aspect some consideration and you could have a point. I'm on my second HJC flip up. I like these helmets though I don't think they are constructed as well as the Shoei, which I have also previously owned. It was a full faced non flip up helmet. I have ridden other bikes and can not complain about noise in the HJC's and this includes bikes with no fairings. When my stock shield is in down position I have no complaints. Having two windshields such as you do may be the way to go and I'll keep that as an option. By the way I have ridden in your area quite a bit and plan on heading back to Lake George this early fall. The Adirondacks are a great place to ride. We have great roads in the area I live in, Shenadoah Valley and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Your mountains are full of lakes and there are no lakes, other than man made, in my part of the country. Thanks for the info and reply...Dan

Dan I have been to deals gap,Shady Valley,Blue Ridge parkway and I love riding down in your neck of the woods. We have some nice riding up North here but nothing like you all have down south. Your pavement is usually in better shape than ours and your twisty roads are much longer than ours. If you come up this way shoot me an email and maybe we can do some riding.

Eric

Eric: Thanks for the invite. I'd be interesting in knowing about any of your favorite day rides out of the Queensbury area. My email is [email protected]. Thanks, Dan

My FJR came with a V stream on it from the previous owner. I used it for about 12000 miles and knew there had to be something better out there for me. I have a Russell saddle in the high position. I recently purchased a Rifle. I think it is a +5 height and +4 width. I am 6'1" with a 34" inseam and I don't get beat up anymore at highway speeds like I did with the V stream.

As others have mentioned, results will vary from rider to rider.

Good luck.

The Rifle seems to generate the most consistently positive feedback from what I have read in the FJR Forum. I don't consider myself a tight wad but I was trying to hold down the price, knowing the Rifle was one of the most expensive of the aftermarket windscreens. If I'm really honest with myself I should just pry the ole wallet open and purchase the Rifle. In the long run it would be worth more than the purchase price to not have to deal with howl I now put up with. Thanks for the info...Dan

The Rifle seems to generate the most consistently positive feedback from what I have read in the FJR Forum. I don't consider myself a tight wad but I was trying to hold down the price, knowing the Rifle was one of the most expensive of the aftermarket windscreens. If I'm really honest with myself I should just pry the ole wallet open and purchase the Rifle. In the long run it would be worth more than the purchase price to not have to deal with howl I now put up with. Thanks for the info...Dan
I have been classified as a tight wad and fugal as well, but as many miles as I ride it was a no brainer to invest in a quality windshield that would make my miles much more comfortable. Only you can decide what you will ultimately be satisfied with.

I too was in the same quandry just last week until I decided to spring for the Rifle. I ride the 08 with the stock screen and am 6'2" and was getting beat to death. I decided to unhinge my wallet and go for the gusto because of all the great reviews on the Rifle. I will post again after I get it to give you some feedback as to if the purchase was worth it or not. Happy screen hunting!

I would be most interested to hear your opinion after you've had a chance to access the Rifle. After everyone's responses on this thread and looking over the Rifle web sight today I've decided to go with their windscreen....Dan

I would be most interested to hear your opinion after you've had a chance to access the Rifle. After everyone's responses on this thread and looking over the Rifle web sight today I've decided to go with their windscreen....Dan
My OP is probably on page 2 or 3 maybe 4 by now, but I had specific questions about the rifle, and I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago. Ive done not only commuting but the wife and I had a nice 350 mile day trip last weekend with it, and honestly, its worth the money. I really cant add anything that hasnt been said if you search for rifle and read the threads, but...its all that. Riding two up, with the windshield all the way up, going 80, it is alllllmost dead enough in front of my helmet to light a lighter. And Im not kidding either.

Ok just installed my new Rifle windscreen (+4/+5) and let me just say its awesome compared to the stock one. Since I am 6'2" I was getting blasted by wind noise and anytime I ran up onto a truck I had to slow down because of buffeting. Well all that is a thing in the past my friends. This new windscreen is great!!! I can ride with my face shield up if I care to without feeling too much wind and the screen is large enough that don't get beat up from the sides anymore. Money WELL spent in my opinion!!

+1 on the Rifle. Also being classified by my wife as Cheap (I would say frugal) I took great pains to decide what screen to go with. After all was said and done I was glad I went with the Rifle. It truly performs as desired and part of what convinced me was how often you see them for resale(rarely)as compared to the other after market and factory screens. Big D did a great write up on his experience a search should get you some great info. ;)