Windshield restriction

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaster

Reaction score
Noticed the other day riding to work on a cool morning that my windshield didn't seem to move to what I thought was it's normal high position. I wasn't sure if it was me or was something wrong with the windshield.

Today I got a chance to investigate it further. It turns out that the molded rubber seal just behind the fairing where the winshield brackets come through had come loose. It was waded up in such a way as to prevent the brackets from moving to the fully up position.

So I though this was my excuss to see what all was under the fairing. Two hours later I gave up. After removing twenty plus bolts and various small panels I could not see how to get into it. It's unbeleavable that it needed to be this complicated to get into. :angry: I wanted to get it apart and glue it back in place. It was held in place with some pieces of double sided foam tape. I settled for prying the top of the fairing up enough to pull the gasket completely out.

I guess I have a reason to let the dealer have it for a while this winter. I'm sure they will love taking that mess apart to put it back in. I guess I will see how good that "YES" warranty is. :rolleyes:

Did you try looking for a post on removing the nose? Using our friends at Google (per the intructions on "how to search" suggested to new members: Software and Board Operation: Seaching the Forum Using Google) I found:

removing nose site: fjrforum.com. I clicked on the 03-05 Bin O' Facts (Generation I),, and, low and behold....about halfway down the thread there's a bold title: Cowling and Nose with links to threads about how to perform the operation.

I'm thinking this is the information you need. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd get a service manual for that buddy. It's not an easy job, but mostly time consuming, not hard. You have to remove both side fairings, then the front nose comes out in one piece, with headlights and all. When you see the tiny motor that powers the windscreen, you'll laugh. Once there, you could easily disable the auto-down windscreen feature, by the way (I did). I did this when I replace the maroon panels for silver panels on my '07 almost year and a half ago, so can't help you with details as I hardly remember how I did it. Dealer didn't have a service manual then, so we had to improvise. A lot of time wasted; that's why I recommend it. Good luck.

JC

Many thanks to everyone for your assistance. This forum has been the most informative and helpful tools a person can have in making the best choices dealing with our FJR's. Just a bunch of good people here.

A special thanks to Kaitsdad for your personal help.