Would like an ignition reminder beeper

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobOdenweller

Reaction score
I would like to add a beeper that would sound when the ignition switch is on and the kill switch is activated. On several occasions I have killed my battery by using the kill switch to shut off the engine and forgetting to turn off the ignition switch. I've tried to train myself to use the key to shut off the bike but I just can't seem to get into that habit especially since it is behind my GPS. It would seem to be pretty easy to make a reminder beeper but I thought I would run it by the experts first. My idea is to have the beeper run off a switched ignition source but have a relay that is controlled by the kill switch so that the beeper only gets power when the kill switch is activated. Can anyone tell me how the kill switch works? Does the wire coming from the kill switch normally have 12v when the bike is running or is it the other way around? This would tell me if I need a normally open or normally closed relay. I found lots of beepers/buzzers on the allelectronics.com website. Hard to know which ones will be too obnoxious. Anyone have suggestions for a good one that is not too loud? A chime type device would be ideal. Does this idea already exist somewhere as an "off the shelf" product?

More effort to train yourself to use the key and not the kill switch is the best option imho.

I would like to add a beeper that would sound when the ignition switch is on and the kill switch is activated. On several occasions I have killed my battery by using the kill switch to shut off the engine and forgetting to turn off the ignition switch. I've tried to train myself to use the key to shut off the bike but I just can't seem to get into that habit especially since it is behind my GPS. It would seem to be pretty easy to make a reminder beeper but I thought I would run it by the experts first. My idea is to have the beeper run off a switched ignition source but have a relay that is controlled by the kill switch so that the beeper only gets power when the kill switch is activated. Can anyone tell me how the kill switch works? Does the wire coming from the kill switch normally have 12v when the bike is running or is it the other way around? This would tell me if I need a normally open or normally closed relay. I found lots of beepers/buzzers on the allelectronics.com website. Hard to know which ones will be too obnoxious. Anyone have suggestions for a good one that is not too loud? A chime type device would be ideal. Does this idea already exist somewhere as an "off the shelf" product?
Hmm...wow...that's a new one. I think the reason this never happens to me is because there are so many lights left on when the engine stops. Dash lights, headlights, running lights. Since even after 3+ years of ownership it's impossible for me to walk away from the FJR without turning back to admire its profile, I've never had this issue. :clapping:

Apparently I'm more trainable than you. :p Did it once, and never again. Still use the kill switch to shut off, then reach for the key after I dismount.

Try putting stuff you need under the seat or in the sidebag. That'll make you reach for the key!

The red run/kill switch in the run position supplies 12 volt power to the ignition coils, in the off position opens the 12 volts to the coils.

Pickup a beeper, perhaps something like this backup alarm and get a SPDT relay. (Go to any auto dealer and tell the parts counter drone that you want to purchase a door chime for a ______ model car.)

DPDTRelay-1.jpg

In overview, connect the red/black wire from the run/kill switch (FJR coil power) to terminal 85 on the relay and constant ground to terminal 86. Hook up the red/white wire from the run/kill switch (FJR switched ignition voltage) to relay terminal 30 and the red power wire from the alarm to terminal 87A. Connect the black wire of the alarm to constant ground.

When the ignition switch is on, and the run kill switch is on, the alarm will be silent. When the ignition is on and the run/kill is switched off, the alarm will sound until the ignition switch is shut off.

I’m betting in less than a week this circuit will be removed.

Edit: Cut off or insulate unused pin 87. This pin will have power on it while the motorcycle is running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try putting stuff you need under the seat or in the sidebag. That'll make you reach for the key!
:clapping: :clapping:

EXCELLENT advice! I'm already doing that without regards to the obvious solution to the thread topic. I put my house keys in the bag, so I have to take my key outta the ignition to get in the house. I always leave my pockets empty when I ride. Less chance of "stuff" poking/pinching me while I ride.

Ordered a micro SPDT relay and a chime from Radio Shack for about $16. I think I've killed my battery at least 3 times by leaving the lights on. It doesn't take long with the smallish FJR battery. If this saves me from having a dead battery while camping in BFE then it will have been well worth the cost and trouble. I plan on installing uder the seat and muffling the chime so it is not obnoxiously loud.

Wow. In 18 years, I think I've actually used the kill switch 3 times total. Why the hell would you do that? Unless you've just crashed?

Wow. In 18 years, I think I've actually used the kill switch 3 times total. Why the hell would you do that? Unless you've just crashed?
Same here. The only time I use it is to test it.

I usually just shut the bike off using the sidestand. Its convenient, because your going to put it down anyway, and, it tests THAT circuit every time you stop the bike. I don't believe I've ever left the key on.

Modern bike has tipover switch, shuts itself off when in crashed mode. Tested twice. :rolleyes:

I use the kill switch because my MSF instructor said to, and we didn't get through his course if we didn't shut our bikes down with the switch, THEN the key. (Of course with the baby cruisers they used, with the key on the side, it was MUCH more convenient to stop it with the kill switch.) Just kept the habit after that.

I find myself using the sidestand, though, more often than not. Pulling up to someplace familiar, like work or home, I hit the kill switch, then put the stand down. I also flip the switch back to the RUN position so it's ready when I am later. Parking at the store or gas station, something like that, I let the sidestand kill it. Either way, the first thing after dismount is grab the key.

MSF logic was if you have an emergency and need to stop the engine RIGHT THE FUCK NOW (not his exact words, but the intended effect was clear,) it's a lot easier if the kill switch is already an unconscious habit. Stuck throttle, bike's on fire, whatever, reaching for the key takes longer and takes your hand off the grip, and is especially harder for cruisers that insist the key goes on the side, out of sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuck throttle, bike's on fire, housekey jammed through your 'nads, whatever, reaching for the key takes longer and takes your hand off the grip, and is especially harder for cruisers that insist the key goes on the side, out of sight.
Finished up your thought for ya, Walt. :lol:

Stuck throttle, bike's on fire, housekey jammed through your 'nads, whatever, reaching for the key takes longer and takes your hand off the grip, and is especially harder for cruisers that insist the key goes on the side, out of sight.
Finished up your thought for ya, Walt. :lol:
Hey, I can't find my keys!!!!!

I usually just shut the bike off using the sidestand. Its convenient, because your going to put it down anyway, and, it tests THAT circuit every time you stop the bike. I don't believe I've ever left the key on.
+1 This is my habit.

[rant]

I think using the kill switch is pretty dumb idea and I'm sorry, but I really don't see why the MSF would insist that you use it to turn your bike off routinely. Do they think that it won't work when you need to use it, so you need to constantly test it?

I've seen lots of switches that have trouble closing. Not to many that have trouble opening.

Or is it that they think we are all so simple that we'll forget that it's there in an emergency? :blink: Sheesh.

I bet that you'll wear it out a lot more quickly by cycling it every time you get off the bike... ;)

[/rant]

But, all that said, I did once leave the key in the on position after deploying the kickstand on a bright day, when I somehow was distracted, and therefore didn't look back to admire my lovely bass boat blue bike.

I'm really not so sure the kill switch is the problem here. I'm kind'a thinking that the problem is the key switch was left on... :eek:

+1 This is my habit.

[rant]

I think using the kill switch is pretty dumb idea and I'm sorry, but I really don't see why the MSF would insist that you use it to turn your bike off routinely. Do they think that it won't work when you need to use it, so you need to constantly test it?

I've seen lots of switches that have trouble closing. Not to many that have trouble opening.

Or is it that they think we are all so simple that we'll forget that it's there in an emergency? :blink: Sheesh.

I bet that you'll wear it out a lot more quickly by cycling it every time you get off the bike... ;)

[/rant]

But, all that said, I did once leave the key in the on position after deploying the kickstand on a bright day, when I somehow was distracted, and therefore didn't look back to admire my lovely bass boat blue bike.

I'm really not so sure the kill switch is the problem here. I'm kind'a thinking that the problem is the key switch was left on... :eek:
The reason the MSF guys teach you to use the kill switch is because the Fags on Harleys have the key under the seat or someplace stupid like that so using the kill switch is easier. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Latest posts