Would you buy again the AS ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nulac

Reaction score
For the owners of the new AS:

After the first impressions of riding a AS, would you buy it again? or no ...you would buy instead the A ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who was it that figured out how to do slow speed maneuvers on one? I might consider one once I could ride it comfortably. It does look very nice, but then there's the "no room for farkles" thing. What were they thinking? "Hey, lets boost the charging system output, then downsize the profile so nobody can get any electrical add-ons in there". :blink:

Although i have not made the jump to an FJR yet, I'm doing my research

I was just told today actually that just dragging the rear brake is the way to do the slow speed maneuvers safely and smoothly, as you have to bring the RPM's up quite a bit for it to maneuver.

In my case it's my only sensible option due to my manky little clutch finger, Hobson's choice. I have to say I would otherwise prefer a manual clutch with its more intelligent (?) operation, particularly in low speed manouvres.

absolutely. without hesitation. the AE/ AS / YCCS is without a doubt the best move i ever made in sport/touring!!

I second Rickster.......the AE is great. The slow speed maneuvers are a no brainer, just lightly drag the rear brake pedal against the power of light acceleration. No more Popeye forearms in stop in go traffic.

Have you ever done a "slow race", see who gets to the finish line last? Clutch in, drag your rear brake, etc. As far as the AE is concerned, you're working the throttle against the rear brake for tight u-turns, parking stall, slipping traffic, etc.

I was just told today actually that just dragging the rear brake is the way to do the slow speed maneuvers safely and smoothly, as you have to bring the RPM's up quite a bit for it to maneuver.
I have heard that too but in a slow speed manouevre especially on a slippery surface, I'd rather use my hand on a clutch to control power to the rear wheel than have my foot off the deck and onto the brake pedal.

I spoke to a dealer yesterday who said that the AS/AE is great on the open road but not so much fun round town - that's just where I want an auto clutch to be most useful.

I spoke to a dealer yesterday who said that the AS/AE is great on the open road but not so much fun round town - that's just where I want an auto clutch to be most useful.
I agree the "a dealer". On the open road, changes are quick, easy, and after learning to control the throttle correctly, smooth. And NEVER, NEVER do I get a gear change wrong.

By the way, could you start from rest without a problem in 4th gear with a manual? I can with my AS (OK, I actually thought I was in second, until I glanced at the idiot number), and no skill required. And, before anyone else says it, what a stupid thing to do, but it does show the ability of the electric system.

For the owners of the new AS:After the first impressions of riding a AS, would you buy it again? or no ...you would buy instead the A ?
No, I would not get another. I have to spend too much time thinking about shifting smoothly, and my AE has recently developed an annoying habit of not releasing the clutch when I'm downshifting to a stop so the bike stays in gear an continues pulling and I have to tromp on the brake. Even with arthritis in my thumb I'd get the clutch. The auto-clutch is a PITA.

I would like to ride an "A", But that would be how I feel about many bikes. I would buy the "AE" again in a second.

It has its small consessions to the "A" but "for me" the "AE" is just the ticket

I have heard that too but in a slow speed manouevre especially on a slippery surface, I'd rather use my hand on a clutch to control power to the rear wheel than have my foot off the deck and onto the brake pedal.

I disagree with the dealer. Around town it is great for me too. I wonder how many miles the guy with that opinion has logged on an AE, jes sayin

I am going to say that learning to properly control and enjoy the AE takes time and practice. And I dont mean only a few hundred miles, so a test drive (such as the magazine testers get) surely wont sell you on the concept. When I first got mine I thought it was a major PITA to ride. It required so much concentration from me trying to ride it smoothly that I was afraid I was going to wreck it, and I was half worn out after returning home. I needed a huge hole to pull out in traffic, I was always running wide, and I was feeling sorry I bought it. The more I ride it though, the easier and more like second nature it becomes. Many things that I knew about riding a clutch bike had to be unlearned in order to work the AE smoothly. Throttle roll on, shift timing, when to change gears, all of it is just enough different to mess you up in the beginning. I can actually control the clutch engagement now nearly as good as with a manual clutch (its all in the throttle position) , and gear shifts are smooth as silk whereas they were clunky and jerky when I first got it. Its a whole different experience for me now.

PaleRider, try lowering your idle speed a slight bit, it should fix that hanging engagement. I have messed with mine up and down until I got it to where it will stay engaged for me right up until I am nearly stationary (really helps with slow speed manuevers) , and disengages just as I stop.

Roy

When the magazine guys perform their 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile tests how do they launch an AE?

If you've selected 1st gear you can't rev the engine for take-off, otherwise the AE would start moving. So it would seem you must launch from an engine idling condition.

When I picked up my AE from D&H Gerald and his mechanic both said it was just fine to shift without releasing the throttle. I called Yamaha and asked them the same question and was told the same. So I DON'T release the throttle on upshifting and this rocket on 2 wheels shifts as smooth as silk.

For me it was a short learning curve to become comfortable with the AE's clutch. Since then I have ZERO problems with slow speed turns or any other handling aspects of this bike. My previous 4 bikes were Honda VFR Interceptors. I can say without hesitation that I LOVE my AE and would definitely buy one again.

Rod

PaleRider, try lowering your idle speed a slight bit, it should fix that hanging engagement. I have messed with mine up and down until I got it to where it will stay engaged for me right up until I am nearly stationary (really helps with slow speed manuevers) , and disengages just as I stop.Roy
Thanks, Fastmax,

The problem is that the disengagement is unpredictable, and in stop-and-go LA traffic that can be dangerous. After 1500 miles I too have figured out how to shift smoothly, and I can do it (nearly) all the time, but I still have to think about it to do it.

I'm glad people like the AE, and I'm glad Yamaha had the balls to put it out there. I think that was the right decision, and I don't regret having made the choice to try it. I think they'll refine it and make it better over time. I love the bike--hey, it's not for sale--and maybe eventually the shifting will become second nature. But the question was would I buy it again knowing what I know now, and my answer is no.

I got the AE mostly out of curiosity. Satisfied (curiosity, that is). And, it works OK. I do like it on the road, and with more miles it gets more natural (until I get on my conventional CBR1000F).

If I were to order one right now, what would I do? Probably get the standard clutch. But then again...

Dick

When the magazine guys perform their 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile tests how do they launch an AE?
If you've selected 1st gear you can't rev the engine for take-off, otherwise the AE would start moving. So it would seem you must launch from an engine idling condition.
The first time I did a fast take-off (from rest, just opened the throttle to about half way, I was absolutely amazed by its acceleration. Believe me, in any road situation, that's all you have to do, open the throttle. I quote from my write-up (https://atrophy.lock.net/atrophy/do/fjr.php):

"Launch Control" - Fast moves from stationary are very easy. I was very surprised at the rate at which the bike accelerated when I simply snapped open the throttle. I have the impression the clutch engagement software was tuned for performance. I'm quite sure I could not obtain the same rate from rest with the manual clutch of the Trophy, certainly not from the initial idle. This would be a real bonus if you were about to be hit in the rear. The only skill required is to ensure the rear wheel won't slip"

OK, revving the b*lls off a manual and dropping the clutch may make it accelerate faster, but unless you are measuring it on a 1/4 mile, you won't care. And, no skill required, it's the same every time you do it.

The first time I did a fast take-off (from rest, just opened the throttle to about half way, I was absolutely amazed by its acceleration. Believe me, in any road situation, that's all you have to do, open the throttle. I quote from my write-up (https://atrophy.lock.net/atrophy/do/fjr.php):

"Launch Control" - Fast moves from stationary are very easy. I was very surprised at the rate at which the bike accelerated when I simply snapped open the throttle. I have the impression the clutch engagement software was tuned for performance. I'm quite sure I could not obtain the same rate from rest with the manual clutch of the Trophy, certainly not from the initial idle. This would be a real bonus if you were about to be hit in the rear. The only skill required is to ensure the rear wheel won't slip"

OK, revving the b*lls off a manual and dropping the clutch may make it accelerate faster, but unless you are measuring it on a 1/4 mile, you won't care. And, no skill required, it's the same every time you do it.
Well, I have almost 8,000 miles on my AE now and I LOVE IT! It shifts smoothly and I ride a lot in Houston and Austin traffic. I have had NO problems with the bike shifting in STOP and CRAWL traffic.

In fact, everytime I get back on my GL1800, I really wish it had the AE's shifter!

Best Regards,

Shane