Yamaha Valve Train News

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Gleaned from a well-known European Yamaha web site.....

One of the most significant changes is the use of shorter intake valve guides for 2006. Measuring 27.5 mm, these new guides are 5 mm shorter than the 2005 model, and this 15% reduction in length increases engine efficiency by increasing intake air flow, and reducing frictional power losses. To match the new intake valve guides, the 2006 model also features smoother intake ports.

Hmmm.....verry interesting.

Is this something to solve the "dreaded tick"?

From the way it sounds to me, they are just massaging the airflow, to gain hp increases. But doesn't their current website give HP/torque figures the same as last year?

I am confused. As usual.

Just because the peak values stayed the same doesn't mean some of the intermediate values didn't move, or for that matter, just helped increase off-to-on throttle response when the intake needs to increase the flow rate quickly.

Of course if it is a tick fix, the first question out of me is "retrofit?"

shorter intake valve guides for 2006
Shorter valve quides cannot be a good thing for us. Less load bearing surface area. :bigeyes:

Unless NONE of the tickers had intake valve problems.

YMMV and IMHO :)

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, ticky ticky exhaust valves are the prob, not intakes. Probably figured as long as they were in there, might as well try a little subterfuge.......

They also fiddled with the bodywork/air inlet stuff, so maybe the valve guide change is an effort to recoup something lost elsewhere.

Pepperell

I wonder if this has something to do with the more restrictive smog regulations of the future. I remember reeading a comparison piece between the FJR and ST1300 and the author mentioned that the ST1300 would meet some standard that would kick in in a couple of years that the FJR would not meet.

I wonder if this has something to do with the more restrictive smog regulations of the future. I remember reeading a comparison piece between the FJR and ST1300 and the author mentioned that the ST1300 would meet some standard that would kick in in a couple of years that the FJR would not meet.
interesting since the 03 was reported as meeting 08 CARB requirements.