You know how things just seem to happen...?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Left for a ride today on my trusty FJR... (which, as you can see, has been lovingly hand washed while I've been on vacation - first wash since I bought it in '09, in fact... )

9227382876_5af04f6f5b_b.jpg

...and came home on a new bike... (2012 Yamaha Super Tenere)

9227382572_6ed6239d29_b.jpg

We'll see how this goes...
wink.png

In reality, I've been thinking of a different bike since last fall. I love the KTM (690 Enduro R) I have and really enjoy the ability to explore more places with it. That said, a two-up ride she ain't.

And she's more dirt than street if I'm being honest, so you have to live with things a bit. On the plus side, I just love every minute riding that KTM - on road its livable for hours at a time, while offroad it's a pretty sharp weapon. (I'm the dull bit.)

But, I'm one of those guys who sees a gravel road and wants to go explore. That might be in Whatcom County, or in Montana. The KTM is not a mount to ride over to Montana unless you have time to spare and enjoy the back roads.

Which got me to thinking...if the KTM is such a keeper for me, what to do?

Yeah, yeah, a third bike is nice and all that, but I just couldn't do it. While I loved the FJR, in reality, every ride left me wondering what was down those gravel roads I'd pass. Sure, some claim you can ride the FJR just fine on gravel and dirt - I'm not one of them.
smile.png

So perhaps change was in order....and this move to an adventure touring bike was pre-ordained...?

9227518416_85d182609a_b.jpg

That's me at 7, the day my folks surprised me with a new bike. Full suspension front and rear, might as well have been a cast iron frame it was so heavy, but man, what it stable in flight and I could manage huge distances with the suspension soaking up the landings.

Tomorrow, the disassembly of the new ride begins...just to see how it all bolts together, of course! Gotta install the Crampbuster and throttle lock cruise control, so after those 6 minutes have elapsed, I'll start frigging with other bits.

I do owe a massive thanks to everyone here in the forum (and in this area) who turned wrenches on my FJR over the last 4 years. It's been amazing to learn from you and I look forward to being the butt of many jokes with the Super Tenere moving forward...
wink.png

duane

Last edited by a moderator:
you better be bringing the Tenere to the next tech meet

Traitor! j/k

Congrats Duane, STen looks great and will fit the bill nicely...

--G

Minus the rear trunk and the aux lights a twin for my '09. Little cleaner but still a great bike. Enjoy the new ride. I couldn't touch the ground on the one I sat on last year at the IMS in the Convention Center.

I rode a Tenere today as well but left it there... my '03 is still my primary steed and having it and a Tenere would be overkill. Looking at Honda NC700X and possibly a FZ-09

Thanks guys.
smile.png
Takes some getting used to as the bigger front wheel slows down steering a bit, so it's not quite as flickable. BUT, it's plenty responsive, and pushing 100 lbs lighter than the FJR, so the power-to-weight ratio is still solid on the S10.

Now, finish selling the FJR extras I have around, then start on the S10 farkles. Fingers crossed the crampbuster is an easy swap! Can we get a tech day going to help me there...?
wink.png

I'm going to have an N/Line dash on Tuesday for a Gen 2 FJR as the dealer offered to remove it for me to keep.
wink.png
Wasn't going to change the trade or selling price on their side, so I figured I'd work on finding that little gem a home on my own.
smile.png

I want to hear of your 690 experience. I'm droooling...
I'll tell ya... I LOVE the 690! Stupid, crazy hooligan bike made to do incredible, insane things offroad and make you look like either a god (if you appear to be in control) or a Muppet duct taped to the handlebars (for the rest of us).

Recently followed a friend on his Husky TE310 on some single track and was amazed at the 690's ability to keep up!

Here's some short action on a recent ride:

Flat out, its simply an awesome bike. Not a long distance tourer, but it can be made plenty comfy and still retain its offroad edge. :)

Geez Duane, nice pic. We were all thin once, no?

Nuthin wrong with the S10. Ever since missus and I watched Ewan and Charlie, I've thought it would be fun to try an ADV bike. I'd certainly go farther on it than the Matchless...

I was also surprised at how well you kept up on the 690. Mighty fun bike.

As we've discussed elsewhere, the STen isn't really a direct replacement for an FJR. I know I'm giving up sport touring and moving to adventure touring, to use the common monikers. That said, I cannot wait to get past the break in period!

Naturally, I bought my first farkles yesterday for the S10...LOL

That 690 is just balls-out a hooligan bike, IMO. And I love it for making me feel marginally competent. Being honest, though, it was never going to be ridden to Montana for a weekend of trail camping...LOL THAT dream was just all kinds of wrong I now realize. The STen on the other hand...

I'm going to be very interested in following the crowd here on a ride to see what the actual differences on this bike are (assuming I actually get any invites now, that is...
wink.png
). Will I be that much slower? Will I work noticeably harder to keep up? Will I feel the bike is near its limits sooner?

All that said, it's a very pretty blue that ya'll don't have...
tonguesmiley.gif

Oh, one thing I do notice already: the rear end is MUCH lighter, so hard braking transfers enough weight quickly that ABS kicks in back there much, much sooner than on the FJR. I don't recall ever feeling the FJR ABS kick in, but the STen - three times since Saturday - all while playing with hard decels to learn the limits. IIRC, the brakes on this rig come from the R6 - plenty of power - especially at the back - very nice.
smile.png

Congratulation Duane, you will be able to parts of the country that will be unbelievable. I hope to get a dual sport one of these days too. Enjoy the new ride and new adventures :)

Congrats on the new ride. Based on my experience with my vstrom, which is not even as street capable as the Tenare, I'd say that you are giving up very little in the sport-touring department and picking up a lot in the unpaved road department. I could see replacing my FJR with one of these someday, but I'd also be sorely tempted to go the BMW 1200 GS route for the lighter weight. Either way I'd be looking at used bikes a few years old rather than new.

Well, your timing will be spot on Fred - the first of the Teneres are starting to pop up now on the used market, and prices are decent (subjective, of course). So far I've managed to drag my toes a scosh on each side in the turns, so she'll get over pretty far, but the skinny tires it wears remind me to slow the pace just a smidge, too. ;)

Looking forward to getting the break-in miles out of the way, then planning a weekend camping trip somewhere. :)

duane