ZX-14 info in Motorcyclist

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is so funny this thread it here. I was just coming over to start one about how I can't get this bike out of my mind. And poof! You guys were already on it.

Anyway, this thing is sweet. I love the "alien" face. You know it is going to be silly fast, too.

With a little work, this bike could be an awesome ST. It appears from the show pictures that there are studs for bag mounts. A bigger screen, some risers, the obligatory touring farkles, and we are set, baby! Only no ABS, that is a problem, although there was a rumor floating that an ABS version is due later.

Due Feb '06, but surely there will be some head to heads with the 'busa before then...

The "S/T" space gonna get interesting...

-BD

Sorry FJRZON, I am with afterburn.

Sure you can call ANY bike a sport tourer if your so inclined, but there's no way I would call this ZX-14R one.

Just missing too many characteristics of the classic definition of a sport tourer, whatever that is.

YOU may think the FJR's bars are apehangers, but you are an anomaly.

No ABS? Look in the link below. I've heard that the U.S. won't see this feature until later in the year or 07. I'm not sure about the timeline but it doesn't seem like we have the option available now. It's great for bikes this size though. I hope the Hayabusa gets ABS too.

https://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9363/hp...18resize6il.jpg

A classic definition of sport touring? I'm going with sport touring is touring on a sport bike.

-r

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry FJRZON, I am with afterburn.
Sure you can call ANY bike a sport tourer if your so inclined, but there's no way I would call this ZX-14R one.

Just missing too many characteristics of the classic definition of a sport tourer, whatever that is.

YOU may think the FJR's bars are apehangers, but you are an anomaly.
You may be correct SkooterG and entitled to your own opinion that I may possible be an anomaly in the FJR crowd, but certainly NOT in the sport touring crowd. Sport touring is such an ambiguous term (as you also stated) and in my opinion, I like and LEAN towards the SPORT touring spectrum. I feel the future is looking bright and the blend of GT bikes and STs are intersecting and heading in a direction I find very “flavor full“. The future of the FJR is heading towards the Honda ST1300...and that is not where I want to go when replacement time comes. As far as Afterburn…he made a generalization earlier. We are all unique with individual wants and desires. For example…we all farkle differently to our own styles and comfort zones.

XLR8, Nice pics. The ABS ZX-14R in the pic above looks like it has a green hue. I know this is the Euro charcoal colored one…must be the lighting. Looks like a hell of a good ST to me! :coolio:

Decent looking bike XLR8,

I think they need to take a heat gun to the monster Kawasaki lettering, though. :eh:

It's almost as tacky as the oversize HEMI logo on some of the sedans around here! :bad: :bad: :bad:

Sure you can call ANY bike a sport tourer if your so inclined, but there's no way I would call this ZX-14R one. Just missing too many characteristics of the classic definition of a sport tourer, whatever that is. YOU may think the FJR's bars are apehangers, but you are an anomaly.
Sport touring is such an ambiguous term (as you also stated) and in my opinion, I like and LEAN towards the SPORT touring spectrum.
Actually, if you look at the mfgr that was the leader of the genre for year (they pretty much defined it for years and only had 1 model with an agressive riding position that they classified as sport - the RxxS), you'll note that the options within BMW are more upright in design (slight forward leans on most designs). The ass-cheeks-whistling-dixie designs are new entries and primarily from mfgrs that see a chance to cash in on the most recent popularity by trying to wedge their sport bikes into the niche.

Tried posting a pic but it didn't work. Then I couldn't delete the post, sorry.

Man the ergos on that thing would just about kill me after 50 miles or so. To bad my twentys were twenty some years ago I'd have that thing in my garage. ah well my boys about ready for a monster, maybe I can talk him into one then borrow it to relive my youth for half an hour, followed by a heating pad and a few vicodin for a day :D

:jester:

maybe I can talk him into one then borrow it to relive my youth for half an hour, followed by a heating pad and a few vicodin for a day
Hey, don't forget to chase it with a Budweiser! :lazy:

The "face" of that thing reminds me of the "brain bug" in Starship Troopers...eeee-yukk! The rest of the bike, in pics, looks like it's contesting the Suzook HiyaFUGHLEE fer the ugly bike award...noooo thanks. The ZX12R, in slime green, that I had was actually quite comfy with a Corbin and bar risers and handled very well given its size. Then there is the sound of a Kaw 4, even with stock pipes, very distinctive and ear pleasinn...especially with 160summ RWHP!

I'm sure the new 14 will be fast, but then it needs to be so when the anti-ughly league starts chasinn it outta town....LOL!!! Now where is my '06 FJR anyhoo?? DFO :p

The "face" of that thing reminds me of the "brain bug" in Starship Troopers...eeee-yukk! The rest of the bike, in pics, looks like it's contesting the Suzook HiyaFUGHLEE fer the ugly bike award...noooo thanks. The ZX12R, in slime green, that I had was actually quite comfy with a Corbin and bar risers and handled very well given its size. Then there is the sound of a Kaw 4, even with stock pipes, very distinctive and ear pleasinn...especially with 160summ RWHP!
I'm sure the new 14 will be fast, but then it needs to be so when the anti-ughly league starts chasinn it outta town....LOL!!! Now where is my '06 FJR anyhoo?? DFO :p
Then of course you can't judge a bike by its show picture. Ya gotta see it in person.

I can't wait to get a look at the real thing. I bet it will be pretty nice, except for the wasabi louvers on the side.

I think they told the junior engineer, "hey put something in this space".

-r

2006%20Kawasaki%20ZZR%201400%204.jpg
review_sentinel_1.jpg

Nah, they got the idea from a jumping spider.
we have a winner. You nailed it. :)

I think the new 14 is ugly in pictures. Considering this comment is coming from a prior Hayabusa and an R1150 GS adventure owner, it may have some weight to it. :p