ZX-14 info in Motorcyclist

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is some very interesting information from a reliable source “BeansBaxor” a ZX-14 moderator. He said:

I think Turboblew said he didnt like the helmet locks on the side. Those are not for helmets, but rather Kawi is coming out for built-in hard and soft bags in the accessory lineup. They are designed to bolt right in. A number of accessories will be able to use those, in order to secure and lock it to the 14.
The Kawi rep said they wanted you to be able to put a pair of hard bags and still be able to comfortably lane-split in Cali.
Quote above can be found on this thread: https://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.p...time=1134094513

Disagree Afterburn. One of my gripes…has been the FJRs oem ape hangers. I would prefer a much longer/further and lower reach. The FJR makes up for it in other ways with its excellent amenities that are impossible to find in a relatively high performing 4 cylinder package from its competitors. That being said, I am getting used to the oem bars. As a personal preference, I just wish they were more aggressive.
I'm totally with you on this one. I bought my bike used and it came with risers installed...I took them off and liked it better immediately. And I too wish they were a bit lower yet and slightly more forward. Too bad there's not enough meat on the bottom edge to mill them down a bit.

"Dangerous Dave Posted on Dec 9 2005, 08:45 PM QUOTE (FJRZON @ Nov 20 2005, 10:24 AM)

Disagree Afterburn. One of my gripes…has been the FJRs oem ape hangers. I would prefer a much longer/further and lower reach. The FJR makes up for it in other ways with its excellent amenities that are impossible to find in a relatively high performing 4 cylinder package from its competitors. That being said, I am getting used to the oem bars. As a personal preference, I just wish they were more aggressive.

I'm totally with you on this one. I bought my bike used and it came with risers installed...I took them off and liked it better immediately. And I too wish they were a bit lower yet and slightly more forward. Too bad there's not enough meat on the bottom edge to mill them down a bit."

Me too. It's my one grip with FJR. The non-adjustable handle bars and grip angles. Lower and more forward, not by much, but just a little would make the world of difference!

Finally a little breaking news from tight-lipped Kawasaki (for those that are interested and following this great beast):

Below is the official Kawasaki *dry* weight specifications posted from “Smitty” who picked up an ‘06 brochure. Interestingly, the 14R is shown as the same weight as the 12R. 210kg = 463 lb *dry*. The 14 has all of my attention now! Can’t wait for the test pilots to work out the bugs on the first year! This is going to be one hell of a ST along with the supposed hard bag options and its relatively reported "light weight". I am hoping to attend the shy town international bike show and plan to get a sit on the 14. If the 14 feels anything like the 12R (which I have driven and loved the ergos but thought the front-end was a little "nervous"), I know this bike will be the shit. I also wonder how Suzuki will react in '07? Rumors of a 1500cc Busa with ABS...and Honda, are you still going to keep your head up your ass in '07 or are you going to come out and play? LOL. Let the hyper-sport-tourer wars begin. Cheers. :drinks:

2006Kwaka1.jpg

2006Kwaka2.jpg

2006kwaka3.jpg

.....mmmmmmmmmmmm probably a good idea to throw a few delicious pics someone took from the Milan show. Got to love them legs. :dribble: It's getting a little hot in here! LOL.

DSC01336.jpg

DSC01337.jpg

Ripped off from the R1 forum.... I suppose it's possible it was installed just for the Denver Motorcycle show (where pic was taken), but if not, it appears that maybe this beastly ZX-14R might come with an Ohlins damper?!
ZX-14R view from the cockpit:

KawaZR-14cockpit.jpg
WC, the bike in the photo is the '06 ZX-10R. It does in fact come with an Ohlin's damper. The '06 ZX-14 does not, nor does it need it.

Great info Stu. I was at the Chicago show last weekend and loved the ergos on the 14R. Fit my 6‘.0” frame and long arms perfect; like this bike was almost tailored for me. Plenty of leg room and the stock seat is extremely comfortable (IMHO). The 14R fits me much better than the FJR (at least from the sit test). Swaying the bike side-to-side it felt very flick-able with the way Kawasaki designed its low COG. Makes the GT competitors like the Busa feel like a pig in comparison (no offense Busa owners). Fit and finish was typical Kawasaki and somewhat poor. I am on the list for a spring test ride when the 14Rs get floored.

P.S. Stu, see you in the spring at TWT!

I was ata the Chicago show last Saturday and also sat on the two 14's they had there,felt like my old 12r,kinda heavy for a sport bike but light enough for a GT.

The 10r i sat on felt like a 600,very light and easy to throw side to side.

If i could afford both i would have a 14 just for the adrenline rush.

And yeah i'll see ya at TWT this spring or whenever it starts. Me and the girlfriend

picked up mesh jackets at the show last weekend,black and blue to match my bike :)

From the performance numbers, seems like the ZX-14 will be head to head competition for the BMW K1200 4 cylinder bikes. Much less costly of course!

Be interesting to see some side by side mag reviews, no?

From the performance numbers, seems like the ZX-14 will be head to head competition for the BMW K1200 4 cylinder bikes. Much less costly of course!Be interesting to see some side by side mag reviews, no?
I'm sorry??? :blink: :blink: :blink:

You're not serious?!?

-BD

I think the new K bikes are sweet - don't get me wrong.

Buuuuuut, the ZX will smoke the S in every category (well, maybe not braking, but an ABS version is on the way which will).

Let's let the comparisons roll, then we'll circle back.

-BD

Since most of us haven't ridden either the ZX-14 or the K1200-, let alone both, I think it will be interesting to hear what the media professionals say if and when they do a comparo.