ZX-14 info in Motorcyclist

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody see the computer generated pic of the proposed ZX14GTR. Thats right hard bags, risers and SHAFT drive. Pic in the latest Cycle World. The bags are shaped much like the FJR's but has that ribbed theme going through them. Possible release next year.

Glenn

Oh and I think it had a taller windshield.

I have also heard that Suzuki is not planning on taking the ZX14 lying down either. Supposedly there is a 1400cc version of the Busa ready and waiting for next year. :dribble:

Now all I need is a nees is killer new Honda XX model to throw in the mix. <Dreamer>

New article in this month's Motorcyclist First Ride & very favorable - 555 lb wet & ridiculous Hps. I don't need (or really want) the excessive HPs, but a silky-smooth, fine-handling sport-tourer fits my bill since the CBR1100XX is no longer offered this side of the pond and the new FJR is leaning more toward tour.

The ZX-14 is Fugly as previously quoted, but it might grow on me.

Who gives a crap about the chain. Sealed O-ring lasts longer and easy to fix. Ride it till it breaks.
Really? I'd think the chain could be a pain in the ass on a week long MC vacation that spans several thousand miles. Lube, adjust, replace, repeat.

I can read it now: '05 FJR ABS for sale. LOW miles...
Ahhhh, now I understand!! No miles = no chain maintenance, so who gives a damn! :lol:

Now that that's all sorted out, I'm trying to remember why I need 200 rear wheel HP to go ST riding? Overkill, methinks for ST, but fine for GT hooliganism if ya can stay outta jail.

Oh, and if they do come out with a shaftie and bags for the ST crowd, don't be surprised if they detune a whole bunch. Been known to happen.

My understanding was that a couple years ago the Japanese agreed to a truce w/respect to building faster bikes, and that it was suppose to end w/the busa. I think there was possibly some verbal undocumented U.S. Gov. threats of not wanting to get involved but would if the industry didn't stop this one upmanship. I guess I was wrong in my understanding. We shall see!

My understanding was that a couple years ago the Japanese agreed to a truce w/respect to building faster bikes, and that it was suppose to end w/the busa. I think there was possibly some verbal undocumented U.S. Gov. threats of not wanting to get involved but would if the industry didn't stop this one upmanship. I guess I was wrong in my understanding. We shall see!
I believe this agreement was struck in the European Union which was basically a gentleman's agreement to stay below 200mph. So what is happening now is that the motorcycle manufactures are putting a governor of some sort to stay within this agreement.

This however does not restrict HP, so I'm sure the power will continue to increase, and with a little minor engine modification will enable an owner to achieve maximum output.

Last edited by a moderator:
My issue came in the mail about 2 days ago, the bike is on the front cover and I scaned through very quickly. I am headed to B'ham AL this afternoon after work, wife is driving truck, I'm drinking Sharaz and reading this article/issue, I should have the whole issue read by the time we get there--its a 3-1/2 hour drive. ( and a buzz to boot ;) )

Just saw a black ZX-14 at my local bike shop. This is one fugly bike - same vane as the Busa, but with the longest set of cans I've ever seen on a bike. Why they couldn't make these bikes more along the lines of the sexy, top-line sportbikes, I don't know.

I briefly contemplated one prior to seeing but after seeing - not. I'll wait to see if the rumours materialize into a sport-tour version. BTW, they also had an '06 FJR - now that's nice! :D

I have also heard that Suzuki is not planning on taking the ZX14 lying down either. Supposedly there is a 1400cc version of the Busa ready and waiting for next year. :dribble:
Now all I need is a nees is killer new Honda XX model to throw in the mix. <Dreamer>
I think the Busa is better looking. Always have.

Latest rumors about Honda is that they scrapped their XX effort, and are starting over. Might see a V5 engine a la MotoGP, but there definitely was a bike in the works, and all the rumors over the last 3 years kept referring to it, but its not even certain we will see something for next model year from Honda. Sure hope so...

Heh... guess what a common complaint is on the various ZX-14 forums.... ready for this?
Excessive heat cooking the shins/feet... right through their boots! :lol: :lol: :lol:
....yeah, and they're also whining about waiting for their bikes to show up. Imagine that?

last Wednesday at the local motorcycle evening meet someone rode in with a blue ZX-14 he had just picked up from a dealer in Houston that afternoon. First one in town and it did look sweet.

This guy owned both a V-Max and FJ-1200 and said they were strong bikes but the ZX-14 was REALLY strong at all rpms. Got a lot of attention - especially from the BMW boys when I told them it had 195 hp.

Rode a blue one the other day. the ZX14 seems to come ready for the future saddle bags. There is some kinda of loop&hook at each side of the rear end and a strange little cone with an allen bolt in the middle, half way down the passenger peg hanger on each side. Neither seems to have any real purpose, unless it is to hang some sort of bag system.

Also air streaming black pieces on the sides seem to be an afterthought, there is more blue fairing underneath. I think I'd paint those blue pieces to match the rest of the fairing anyway.

The ergos are very similar to a Busa and to a K1200S. But the ZX14 seems to handle better. Seems more planted in the front. The k1200S front end seems looser, but it might be because of that wonderful suspension system that Beemers have.

The wheels are a weird color. They painted them to look like magnesium wheels, but too dark. Black would've fit better with any color bike.

And it still looks like the Brain Bug from the front. :lol:

The ZX14 is a beast.

I want to ride this bike. It reminds me of the old Kawaski 500 and 750 triple if you like speed.

:yahoo:

I rode my friends ZX14 today. This bike feels more like a XX than Busa. Turns much better than a Busa and feels much lighter. Another friend that has a XX rode it and said the same thing. The motor is very smooth but smoother than the XX, I think not. Best brakes up front I have ever felt. This bike is fast, heart stopping fast, like a XX on steroids, lots and lots of steroids. If you ride this bike hard you will need to buy rear tires by the six pack. Its the fastest thing this ole boy has ever sat his butt on.