ZX-14 info in Motorcyclist

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Got the latest Motorcylist issue yesterday. Thumbing through, I caught a blurb about the new ZX-14. They said it could be the first production bike with 180 rear wheel HP! What the heck does that feel like. I'm sure I'll have to check one out when it arrives next year. They also said it should have fairly good ergos. Hope I'm not too tempted.

FJReady, if you can find a Z-REX 1400 in New England that can be test ridden write, email and call me ASAP 'cuse I just gotta know if I need to start saving my pennies again :D That kind of motorcycle in New England may be like having an aircraft carrier on Lake Winnipesaukee -- not enough room to turn it around, let alone open it up the way it deserves :dribble:

I've followed the bigger ZX in a thread in this forum and in the motorcycle mags.

Alan

2006%20Kawasaki%20ZZR%201400%204.jpg

zx14.jpg

14a12.jpg

k06-zx14-bu-actrf-xl.jpg

k06-zx14-bk-oar-xl.jpg

…Ya, this bike really hits my shweeeet spot! I have also been following the ZX-14R because I feel it would make an excellent sport tourer and a possible FJR replacement. First, I will (try to) wait for the debut year to pass and see how it holds up. But I am going to try like hell to get a test ride next spring…and temptation does play a huge roll in these things! :diablo: LOL. Second, I know it has the option of ABS…but does anyone know if we can get ABS as an option in the States? This is something I really like in a ST platform and has already come in handy a few times on the FJR. The ZX-14R also appears to have very comfortable ergos. We will just have to wait for the aftermarket to catch up and see what they do for hard bags. Also, heard that Kawi is to release a ST version (a few more bells and whistles) of the ZX-14R called the ZZR-X sometime in ’06? Truthfully, I was really hoping that Honda would come out with the long rumored V-5 for the XX. Heard a rumor that it is *still* possible they may surprise us this spring at a European show to counter the ZX-14R? I am sure this is BS considering Honda has been snoozing in the bike world the last several years. I have about lost patients with Honda and have now been thrilled to see Kawasaki step up to the plate and build something that a lot of us guys want…a Killer Hyper Sport Tourer! Bravo for them! :drinks:

Last edited by a moderator:
I sat on a ZX14R at the Cycle World International bike show here in Houston last weekend. Hell, I sat on just about every bike they had on display, just to say I'd done it. Hard to tell if you'd like a ZX14 just from sitting one one. For the ZX14R, I guess it's a matter of "For people who like this kind of thing, this the kind of thing they like."

I sat on an 2006 FJR1300AE too, and fiddled with the various vents and such. Again, hard to tell just from a sit if it would be "better" than my 2005.

I sat on a bunch of Ducati too....better come to the party with your own rear end padding for these. Harder seats even than I remembered! Padding was evident when you pushed down on the seat with your hand, but it had all the resiliency of steel after about 5 minutes of sitting.

Odd, that of the more than a hundred bikes I sat on, the Suzuki SV650 made the biggest overall impression on me. I could get used to something like this as an "extra" bike.

Looks are growing on me.

It did not make much of a first impression.

Cutting the length of the the exhaust cans in half would do a lot of the looks in the rear.

I sat on a ZX14R at the Cycle World International bike show here in Houston last weekend
I did as well; ergos seemed very close to a 'Busa; that's another great thing about those shows, being able to do 'close-proximity' comparisions. Funny, though; no reps approached me when I sat on the ZX-14 or the '06 FJR...(didn't care for the new dash on the '06, BTW) now, when my wife sat on a V-Max, we were greeted by (2) of them! Of course, they had the V-Max squirreled away in the Star section...such a tragedy! Guess those cruiser reps are just friendlier!

Funny how a group of people can drewl over something like the ZX14 and say it would make a great ST, while at the same time being the same crowd that can't stop talking about which risers to buy for the FJR cause the ergos are too forward. :huh: Compared to FJR straight up ergos this is an all out sportsbike.

:wacko:

Funny how a group of people can drewl over something like the ZX14 and say it would make a great ST, while at the same time being the same crowd that can't stop talking about which risers to buy for the FJR cause the ergos are too forward.  Compared to FJR straight up ergos this is an all out sportsbike.
Oh but I'm not looking to replacing my FJR, just supplement it. Ride the FJR for long days, two up and inclement weather and another bike for squidly, anti social, hooliganism, pure mayhem on the roadways and a whole lota fun :dribble: While the FJR is a big powerful motorcycle it isn’t as quick or fast as other bikes I have owned and I am looking for something that has wretchedly excessive power. Feejer was 100% paid for upon delivery so I have room for a bike payment :D

If it's good enough, looks don't matter, kinda like that fugly 'Busa.

Alan

It's ugly as shit and I think I want one but not to replace by FJR. Trouble is I don't know if I'd ride my FJR again. I heard ABS will be an option for the ZX-14 later in the year but will be available in Europe when the bike hits the showroom. I don't get the logic there but whatever.

Along the same genre, somewhere out there I came across a picture of what was supposed to be the next Hayabusa. It had integrated turn signals and different front end design and looked really sharp so I kinda want to see what it's like too.

-r

In the USA, it's called the ZX-14R. In Europe, the ZZR1400.
https://www.kawasaki.co.uk/product.asp?Id=3400D556116&Sub=1

Same bike...different nomenclature.
Yes, RadioHowie. I am aware that the ZZR1400 is the tag for the Euros and we in the States get the ZX-14R name. The ZZR-X is an addition to the ZZR1400/ZX-14R. Read below. The ZZR-X is also featured in an old 1-04 CW issue. It is Kawis answer for a Hyper Sport Tourer. Note the sketches below don’t do it justice like in the pics of CW.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page=mot...=NEWS_NEW-BIKES

Funny how a group of people can drewl over something like the ZX14 and say it would make a great ST, while at the same time being the same crowd that can't stop talking about which risers to buy for the FJR cause the ergos are too forward.
Disagree Afterburn. One of my gripes…has been the FJRs oem ape hangers. I would prefer a much longer/further and lower reach. The FJR makes up for it in other ways with its excellent amenities that are impossible to find in a relatively high performing 4 cylinder package from its competitors. That being said, I am getting used to the oem bars. As a personal preference, I just wish they were more aggressive.

Compared to FJR straight up ergos this is an all out sportsbike.
Again, disagree here. The ZX-14R is in no way an all out sport bike. It is a big heavy GT bike, a desert blaster, a mile-eater and an obvious quarter-mile drag machine with strong sport touring capabilities. It is relatively heavy like other GT (& ST) type bikes. I expect it to weigh around 500 lbs dry (#s not yet released) and that ain’t no “all out sport bike“. Any GT bike: Busa, XX, ZZR1200, K1200s, ZX-14R etc., can easily be converted into a sport tourer. Complete and utter nonsense Afterburn! It’s all cool Afterburn…I know you are just trying to “jankin our chains a bit.”

It's ugly as shit and I think I want one but not to replace by FJR. Trouble is I don't know if I'd ride my FJR again. I heard ABS will be an option for the ZX-14 later in the year but will be available in Europe when the bike hits the showroom. I don't get the logic there but whatever.
Along the same genre, somewhere out there I came across a picture of what was supposed to be the next Hayabusa. It had integrated turn signals and different front end design and looked really sharp so I kinda want to see what it's like too.
Sounds like ABS will not be available in the US on the ZX-14R. That is disappointing. Keep us updated on any Busa changes. Word is, the Busa will be updated in ‘07 with optional ABS and some cosmetic changes. ABS again, will probably only be available to those lucky Europeans.

With all that being said above. I am extremely happy with my ‘05 FJR. It is most likely not going anywhere soon. I am looking towards the future ‘07-’08 if it comes time for a replacement. I am just a little disappointed with how “soft” the new generation of ‘06 FJRs are becoming. Yammie is taking the FJR further towards the sport TOURING direction. Enough said. :D

Ripped off from the R1 forum.... I suppose it's possible it was installed just for the Denver Motorcycle show (where pic was taken), but if not, it appears that maybe this beastly ZX-14R might come with an Ohlins damper?!

ZX-14R view from the cockpit:

KawaZR-14cockpit.jpg