385 miles on '06 today - some interesting observations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjsC6

Reaction score
I put 385 miles on it today. While that is not as much as what I put on one day last week riding home from Alabama, there were some differences today.

1) I rode many backroads - some with some pretty good curves and switchbacks. some of my riding was at a pretty spirited clip on these roads.

2) I rode with three other friends - one on a '06 FJR, one a '03 FJR, one a '06 Hayabusa.

3) I rode the Hayabusa, and I also swapped with my friend on his '03 FJR.

Here are some observations (in addition to those on my thread about my trip home last week). I put new grips on this week, and added a Vista Cruise. The grips might have made some difference, but the Vista Cruise is what really saved my right wrist.

My bike has a very noticable surging in lower gears/speeds, and the throttle modulation pretty well sucks. My friend with the '03 noticed it as well. I know that just some seat time will help, but the problem just shouldn't be what it is in this day of EFI, and the fact it is in it's fourth year of production. The clutch is also like an on-off switch.

One of the things we definitely determined that may help some potential buyers is the difference in heat. It was 90-91 degrees a good bit of the afternoon. Riding my friends '03 I immediately realized how much heat there is in the upper leg area that is totally eliminated on the '06. By the way, we both noticed that the spring tension on the throttle is MUCH worse on the '06 than the '03. And we both had thought they made it lighter on the '06. NO WAY!

On the other hand, my friend said he would have to have a taller windshield on the '06. I stated before that I would actually like it to be an inch or so lower.

Guages and LCD's on the '06 are much better. For the most part, we agreed that from a mechanical standpoint, they feel pretty much the same. We did think (and I'm not kidding) that my '06 felt faster than his - so that proves the "blue is faster" theory! :yahoo: In fairness, his is due to have the plugs changed and a general maintence done to it.

As I said, I pushed it pretty good through a number of turns, some of them quick transitions from one side to the other. I have to tell ya'll that I'm very impressed with the handling. Mind you, I don't ride at the edge, but I do want to remind you that in the early to mid '80s I roadraced as an amateur pretty seriuosly. So I do have some reference as to how a bike handles. It shows how far sport bikes have come that a very comfortable sport tourer can handle so well. This bike feels every bit as good as the 750F and 1100F Hondas that I had and raced back then. The FJR instills much more confidence than my ST1300 ever did (yes, I know that should not be a surprise to me, but I thought it worth pointing out just the same).

The other thing that I'm happy with is that I have given up nothing in comfort compared to the ST. Except for the right wrist issue, I'm more comfortable after several hundred miles than I was on the ST.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,

One thing I have noticed recently is how stiff the clutch springs are. The clutch just feels too stiff to me and I agree that the throttle also is pretty stiff.

I have some herky-jerky things going on too, and I have to be extremly careful with the throttle and clutch when I shift. It just doesn't feel as smooth as I think it should be. I am hoping a throttle body sync will help.

My bike has a very noticable surging in lower gears/speeds, and the throttle modulation pretty well sucks. My friend with the '03 noticed it as well. I know that just some seat time will help, but the problem just shouldn't be what it is in this day of EFI, and the fact it is in it's fourth year of production. The clutch is also like an on-off switch.

Jim,

I have an '06 also and can corroborate the surging.....enough to make the bike a pain in the ass to ride at speeds between 20 and 40. I can't live with it this way and I think it totally sucks that I now have to pay $300.00 for a Power Commander to smooth out a ride that should be smooth to begin with.....I contacted Power Commander yesterday and they said that because of the "limited availability" of the '06's they do not have one in production yet but hope to have one soon.

Interesting comments. I was finally able to get out and run the bike a couple hundred miles today. I don't have the surging issue described, nor have I noticed the clutch springs are a bother. I've too much play in the throttle cable, and can't seem to adjust it out...it causes herky-jerky motions when opening the throttle, much like my 2000 VFR did. I fixed the VFR by tightening the cable up and raising the idle. Perhaps that will work with the FJR.

Grip Puppies make the grips as thick as I like them. I'm not sure they really reduce vibration very much. Ditto for the after market bar ends I put on. I didn't think there was much vibration before the mods, and don't think there's much difference after. I do notice some vibration with my knees against the tank, and through the footpegs at higher rpm, but nothing more than would be expected on a counterbalanced inline 4, certainly not enough to complain about.

I ran all day with the temps in the high 90's. I did feel heat off the engine. I also feel heat off the engine off my Goldwing at those temperatures. Nothing to really remark upon, were it not for all the concerns about the issue...it's NOT an issue, for me.

I was wearing full gear, a Rukka suit which is alleged to be mesh...and it is, in the torso, but the pants and the sleeves have an inner liner, making the mesh ineffective. I was very hot all day...welcome to May in Texas.

I installed some highway pegs this week. I have to say I was unable to use them on the '06. They just don't stick out far enough for my legs to clear the fairing. As delivered, they are not functional. I'm going to try to figure out a way to extend them about an inch and a half.

I've set the suspension up much softer than most people on this Forum would probably do. I want a Grand Touring ride, in the sense of a very comfortable vehicle capable of rapid transit without harsh ride. I can't recommend the setting for a track day, but it was certainly adequate for the quick pace I rode on twisty public back roads.

I'm able to report that old British bikes, BSAs and Triumphs, are as reliable today as they were when produced. I went to a Britbike "Rallye" ('zup with that spelling?) and passed three sets of guys on the side of the road trying to get one of their bikes to run. Lotta beatiful restorations at the rally. Some of the attendees looked at me as if I was arriving in a spaceship.

So far, the nicest thing I can say about my FJR is it's like a larger VFR. High praise, I think.

Some have released one of the throttle return springs (The main spring in the center of the throttle bodies). That seems to alleviate most of the tension and helps with the strength required to "hold" the throttles and somehave also reported smoother shifting. There is enough tension with the 4 individual throttle butterfly springs to colse them.

As to lowering the windshield, some of us have added spacers and longer screws under the "W" bracket, effectively leaning the windshield back farther, thus lowering the top edge. If you remove the plastic screws from the "W" bracket and remove the windshield, you will see the heads of 2 allen countersunk screws that hold the lower "W" bracket to the windshield motor bracket. Take those screws to your local hardware store, buy a couple of 5/16" nuts to use as spacers (1 under each countersunk screw, I think I used 2 under each screw) and longer screws to make up for the added length needed.

This way you will still have the height when you extend the windshield to its highest adjustment (which you may still need in the rain or cold).

Jim,
One thing I have noticed recently is how stiff the clutch springs are. The clutch just feels too stiff to me and I agree that the throttle also is pretty stiff.

I have some herky-jerky things going on too, and I have to be extremly careful with the throttle and clutch when I shift. It just doesn't feel as smooth as I think it should be. I am hoping a throttle body sync will help.

Not dissin' or nuttin', but, er, stiff clutch springs? Man, I thought the spring was rather whimpy... Maybe they've upped the spring rate for '06? Course, this comes from a guy who quizzically ponders the notion of heavy throttle springs on this machine. Must be the Wheaties, or sumpin'. :dntknw:

+1 on the following statements from above:

- bike has a very noticable surging in lower gears/speeds

- the throttle modulation pretty well sucks.

- The clutch is also like an on-off switch.

- throttle is stiff

- Herky jerky things going on

Let me know when you get your throttle body's synced. I'm hoping this will help as well.

GreyGoose

Not dissin' or nuttin', but, er, stiff clutch springs? Man, I thought the spring was rather whimpy... Maybe they've upped the spring rate for '06? Course, this comes from a guy who quizzically ponders the notion of heavy throttle springs on this machine. Must be the Wheaties, or sumpin'. :dntknw:
Perhaps you missed what I said. My friend's 03 is has much lighter throttle springs than my 06. Let me repeat - MUCH LIGHTER.

The clutch's slave hydraulic cylinder on the side of the engine has changed for '06. This might explain why the clutch seems different.

'05 & earlier

Master Cylinder ID = 14 mm

Slave Cylinder ID = 33.6 mm

Slave Cylinder Surface Area = 887 sq.mm

'06

Master Cylinder ID = 14 mm

Slave Cylinder ID = 29.6 mm

Slave Cylinder Surface Area = 688 sq.mm

The master cylinder on the handlebar is unchanged. But, the slave cylinder has a smaller diameter and area.

With this change you'll experience a faster acting clutch -- the '06 clutch rod moves 29 % farther for equal movement of the master cylinders. Since it moves farther faster, the hand clutch requires a shorter, harder pull -- the on/off behavior.

Quote "My bike has a very noticable surging in lower gears/speeds, and the throttle modulation pretty well sucks. My friend with the '03 noticed it as well. I know that just some seat time will help, but the problem just shouldn't be what it is in this day of EFI, and the fact it is in it's fourth year of production. The clutch is also like an on-off switch."

........................ ....hey there JJ, I understand yer frustration and for what it`s worth, I believe the Fjr is in it`s 5th production year ( it was released in Europe in the fall of `01 as an `02). Kinda makes it all worse actually: after all that time they still haven`t gotten the bike right. From the wrong angle of the bars to poor low speed throttle manners (and all the stuff in between), it`s making me rethink my plan to trade up to an 07.As it is now, i am going to have to wait and see how well (or poorly ) the `07s do on the road. Damn, I was looking forward to dumping my deep fryer 04 next spring. Oh well, it might be time to put an end to this misery and look elsewhere. Hope you get those niggly details sorted out JJ...suppose to be all about the ride isn`t it?! :assassin:

Jim,

Yeah...stiff clutch springs on my used 05, too... I was really suprized how stiff it is...

Of course, I do have the White Bros cam adjuster on my Harley so it's not bad, but the Yammy is stiffer and takes more strength to pull in the clutch...Maybe it'll soften up after it gets more miles on it... not even 4000 yet... :eek: (

Put 360 more miles on 06 yesterday (522 Total miles).

The wife & I rode to Ruidoso NM yesterday for the annual Aspen Cash motorcycle rally (170 miles one way).

Temperatures in the upper 80s-lower 90s through the desert, & upper 60s-lower 70s in the mountains.

The ride started out sunny & calm for the first 150 miles or so. Bike likes to ride at about 80 - 85 mph, smooth.

Wind buffeting on the helmet at all windshield heights. Fulmer AF-M Modus helmet very uncomfortable, (may have to try a larger size). I could already tell I was going to be having tired neck muscles by the day's end. (confirmed). The Vista Cruise worked excellent on giving my hand a short break to shake it out. Will be ordering replacement grips today! The Wildbill highway pegs, worked fine, need to find a way to extend them out about 1", to get the whole boot on the peg.

The bike seat started getting uncomfortable at about 80 miles, seems to get really hot. This seat will definately have to go. Coming from a cruiser w/ mustang seat & backrest, the fjr seat never had a chance.

Will do additional research on Tobin, Russell & Mayer seats for suitable replacement.

Stopped off at Champion HD in Roswell NM, they also sell Yamaha. Did not see any touring grips or grip puppies here.

Rode some long straight runs, long sweepers, flat switchbacks & mountains twisties. Bike can handle all road types no problem. Wind gusts in the canyons caused me to back off on the throttle, which does seem to have a little freeplay, also a bit stiff. Throttle is also sort of jerky in the under 20 mph range.

We then ran into gusty winds, with heavy clouds & lightning about 10 miles out of Ruidoso. As we reached Ruidoso Downs we ran into rain so we parked in a carwash bay for about 20 minutes till the rains passed. My hind parts needed the break anyway.

Had lunch at Farleys, recommend the Mondo Hondo burger, advertised as "Bigger than your damn head". When the waiter brought it over, he said "Hope your hungry". I had to pick it apart with knife & fork.

Made it to the tradeshow at the rally, the wife picked up some boots & shades. I was looking for grips or grip puppies, they only had Kurakyn cruiser bike grips.

I did not see another fjr at the rally, although I did see a gray one parked in town. Saw a few BMWs, & full sport bike types. 99% cruiser types at this rally.

Rode the twisties out of town at about 60 mph, still windy here. Stopped in Roswell to let the Iron "skillet" butt cool off. Rode out of Roswell to Tatum NM, (approx 75 miles), I could feel the heat coming off the engine, tolerable though. On my cruiser I would have just kept going the additional 22 miles home. A friend of mine drove up to us in his car, & asked "is that the new bike?" I gave him the scoop, "What's the use of having a 225-250 mile gas range, If you can only stay on it for 100 miles".

I was suppose to ride thru 12 states starting on Memorial day, I don't think the bike is setup as an LD rider yet.

I have run 3 IBA type rides on an 02 Yamaha Venture, 01 Yamaha Roadstar pulling a trailer, 4 if you count the SS2000 on the Roadstar w/o the trailer I bailed on in January because of electrical problems. I would not want to try an IBA ride on this bike the way it currently sits.

bob

Quote "My bike has a very noticable surging in lower gears/speeds, and the throttle modulation pretty well sucks. My friend with the '03 noticed it as well. I know that just some seat time will help, but the problem just shouldn't be what it is in this day of EFI, and the fact it is in it's fourth year of production. The clutch is also like an on-off switch." ........................ ....hey there JJ, I understand yer frustration and for what it`s worth, I believe the Fjr is in it`s 5th production year ( it was released in Europe in the fall of `01 as an `02). Kinda makes it all worse actually: after all that time they still haven`t gotten the bike right. From the wrong angle of the bars to poor low speed throttle manners (and all the stuff in between), it`s making me rethink my plan to trade up to an 07.As it is now, i am going to have to wait and see how well (or poorly ) the `07s do on the road. Damn, I was looking forward to dumping my deep fryer 04 next spring. Oh well, it might be time to put an end to this misery and look elsewhere. Hope you get those niggly details sorted out JJ...suppose to be all about the ride isn`t it?! :assassin:
While I am annoyed at these problems - I want to be sure that it is clear that I love this bike. Unfortunately, nobody makes the perfect motorcycle. I have ZERO regrets buying it. I just hope that either Yamaha, or the aftermarket can improve on the things I'm not happy with. That's the main reason I am posting them here (and to be sure its not just me).

Thanks for all the great responses!

The Wildbill highway pegs, worked fine, need to find a way to extend them out about 1", to get the whole boot on the peg.

Bob, get a longer bolt for the peg but also consider reinforcing it with an aluminum sleet the same ID as the bolt's OD between the peg and the mount on the frame. That's worked for me.

My 05 had a very loose throttle cable when I first got it. Taking the play out helped with surging.

I also disconnected the 2 throttle springs that are on either side of the main throttle spring. That eliminated throttle tension, at least for me. A vista cruiser will help also. I got the convex grips that are mucho thicker than OEM and fit the hand well. That and risers and I don't have any numbness in the hands (on my 05).

OEM seat sucks. A beaded cover helps keep you cool and a Russell is way more comfy for any length of ride.

Also, I'm in Abq. NM

I took the FJR out for a ride today and then came home and got on the GL1800 to go to town. Wow, what a shock. I just about dumped the GL1800 in the first turn because it turns in so much easier. By comparison, the FJR is hard to get healed over in the corner and takes more effort.

I like the way the bike feels and runs, but just wish it turned in a little easier. I wonder if a different brand tire with a rounder profile would help the bike turn in quicker. Has anyone tried lowering the forks in the tripple clamps a bit to see if that helps the handling?

Thoughts, comments?

I took the FJR out for a ride today and then came home and got on the GL1800 to go to town. Wow, what a shock. I just about dumped the GL1800 in the first turn because it turns in so much easier. By comparison, the FJR is hard to get healed over in the corner and takes more effort.
I like the way the bike feels and runs, but just wish it turned in a little easier. I wonder if a different brand tire with a rounder profile would help the bike turn in quicker. Has anyone tried lowering the forks in the tripple clamps a bit to see if that helps the handling?

Thoughts, comments?
Can't argue on the slow speed turn-in ease on the GL. What tire are you running? I know that th Z6's I recently took off were the worst tire I ever had... flopped into the turns and were really slimy in the corners. The Avons and Michelins turn in much better and handle better overall, IMO.

As far as sneaking the forks up the TT's? Go for it. It'll only take you ten minutes to make the adjustment. May help a bit, but you're pegs will be a bit closer to the ground, too.

There are a couple of owners who've raised lowered the front and raised the rear. Yes, it makes a difference.

The biggest difference some of us have found is when changing the OEM tires. I've had OEM 020's and OEM Z-4s, IMO, both brands were "wooden" compared to Pilot Roads, Avons. The Pirellis I am currently running turn in as well as the Michelins or Avons but I'm not satisfied with the fel of the rear under acceleration from turns. The "E" spec Strada is on the way so I'll reserve my final judgement until then.

Kinda interesting watchin waiters turn into whiners, dontcha think?

Deal with it. +1 on the sloppy loose throttle cable, though I haven't noticed any surging. As far as the hurky-jerky shifting, you just have to time the shift right. I love this bike.

But then there's that damn whistle. Gonna drive me nuts.

Right on FJRski. Its amazing. Seems like some of these whiners have never owned a machine in the past. I wonder if they ever rode the CB750, or the old KZ's. Talk about problems. Ask a BMW rider about the EFI surging. This is one of the somoothest bikes out there. Nothings perfect but this machine can come close with a few mods. Of course if their unhappy the could always spend $5-6000 more and have their final drives fail.