Alaska 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Road to Valdez...beyond awesome. Pics to follow someday. Auburn FJR almost got a moose...or maybe the moose almost got him. All OK in the end, but it was amazing to see the moose fall completely on its ass trying to turn around so quick. It was a close one...he also nearly shortened a fox tail a bit earlier.

Road to chicken was nasty. Top of the world tomorrow.

ABS activated on both ends. All was good. Soon as the moose dug his rear heel in and started to slip I let off the brakes and went by him about 20 mph and about 15 feet from him. If he had kept going I was set to swerve behind him.

Geez Panman and Pops, that moose encounter sure sounds familiar, remember?. I think it was Kelowna.

Last edited by a moderator:
One day, I wanna have a close encounter with a moose. Not that close but, pretty close. If I don't shit my pants, I might take a picture of it. It'll be epic! :yes:

One day, I wanna have a close encounter with a moose. Not that close but, pretty close. If I don't shit my pants, I might take a picture of it. It'll be epic!
yes.gif
Maybe not! Depending upon time of year (mating season etc.) and possibly other circumstances, moose can be MEAN. You do NOT want one deciding that you are in their space!

Geez Panman and Pops, that moose encounter sure sounds familiar, remember?. I think it was Kelowna.
Remember, my shorts still smell bad!

Yes, yes it was. Twofer, mama and baby, big baby ...
The little one was pretty fresh, it's legs were flailing all over the place! Kind of like my hart at the moment.

Moose are not a good mix with motorcycles. A friend of mine once slowed to let a cow moose cross the road in front of him. When the moose was across and well into the ditch he began to accelerate. The moose wheeled around, charged and smashed into him. Rider and moose went down, but the moose stood up and stomped the rider three or four times before leaving. All this was witnessed by his girlfriend who was following in a car. Bike (Concurs) was totaled. He was unconscious for three says and had a broken back in two locations as well as broken collar bone, ribs and ankle. He survived but lost some mobility in an arm. He suspects that there was an unseen calf following the cow and he got between them which caused the cow to react.

One day, I wanna have a close encounter with a moose. Not that close but, pretty close. If I don't shit my pants, I might take a picture of it. It'll be epic!
yes.gif
Go to NERDS. Sooze and I saw one between North Conway, NH, and the Mt. Washington autoroad entrance back in 2009. It was just talking along the road, eating leaves. We pulled over and Sooze took pictures, but I kept my eye on that moose and was ready to get outta there immediately in case it decided it didn't want us being there.

Coal Mine Campground and Canteen [now that has a nice ring to it] in Carmacks. Looked like the went to the Tatchun Centre General Store and also gassed up before heading to the Canteen err, campground.

Gin and Fresca. Change your life.Especially after a whole bunch of miles of wet clay. Yes, the slippery kind.
Beamer, I live on a dirt road in Florida. It's a mixture of sea shells, gravel, dirt and sand and I don't know what else. When it rains, and it rains every freakin day, it's like riding on an ice skating rink. Go ahead and tell me about all your problems. My adult beverage of choice is tequila! JSNS... :)

529 miles and a lot of it on slippery clay, that my friends is a long day ... in my case it would take a lot of gin.
not_i.gif
The one thing I'm learning here is a S-10 or GS maybe the ticket. You and I have done a bit of gravel together and have laughed and giggled the whole time! But I have always wondered about about the tires holding up and know from serious butt pucker that the font end doesn't like loose soft stuff.