Bags or No Bags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the bagless look, but I almost NEVER go bagless. I still believe in the urban myth that if you have side bags you are less visible to the powers that be. If there's even the slightest chance to get looked over or get a pass, I'll take it.

But yeah, the bike DOES look sweet without them!

Although the FJR looks good bagless (unlike my '04 ST1300) I think it looks better and complete with bags on. I feel the same about my '04 VFR (sold and miss it)

Not to mention the added convienence of the bags. Standard hard bags is what I really like about a good sport tourer and I never take them off.

VFR_1e.jpg

VFR_2e.jpg

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the bagless look, but I recently started riding with the bags on because of my commute to work. If the weather is nice and i'm just running around with some friends I'll take the bags off. I don't have a tailbag/tankbag so the saddlebags is all I have to work with.

Definitely bags, owned a bagless motorcycle pre-FJR and found it to be a complete pain in the arse. Never know when you will be riding around and find that impact wrench, torque wrench, table saw or whatever that you just must have :lol:

I love the look of the bags, and use it daily to commute, and use the bags every single time! It looks good without too, but the proportions are a bit off for me to love it.

It behaves like a completely different machine with the bags off. First time I took the bags off a nice traffic official gave me a performance certificate, my first one in almost 20 years. Now I ride it with the bags on all the time, so it looks more like a nondescript family type vehicle, much less likely to attract attention. Goes just as fast...

I like the bike with and without. Not many bikes look as good in either fashion and shows some design insight.

Is it just me, or does any one else find themselves always looking for the key to open and close their bags. I know I don't always think ahead, but many times I move things from one bag to the next while trying to even the weight out. Maybe I'm just being picky in thinking it would be nice to have a latching mechanism that didn't always require the key to open or close. A key is made to start the ignition or to lock something?

I think I am one of very few and maybe the only one that actually likes the look better with the bags on. To me the bike looks unbalanced and front heavy with the bags off.

I just knew I was different. :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the bike with and without. Not many bikes look as good in either fashion and shows some design insight.
Is it just me, or does any one else find themselves always looking for the key to open and close their bags. I know I don't always think ahead, but many times I move things from one bag to the next while trying to even the weight out. Maybe I'm just being picky in thinking it would be nice to have a latching mechanism that didn't always require the key to open or close. A key is made to start the ignition or to lock something?
My Goldwing was that way, and it was very nice; lockable when desired, but otherwise just latched. Of course those bags didn't come off.

:cold:

-Jimbo

One of the forum members is selling the stripe kit...It's too late and I'm too lazy to find it though. No bags for me unless I'm heading out of town, a tank bag provides enough space for flat repair kit, camera, etc...

--G

I started riding with the side bags off about a month ago and I actually prefer it that way. I find that for my daily rides that I have plenty of room for laptop, jacket, etc. in my top case.

When I travel overnight, the bags go back on (until I get my Bushtec in about two weeks :yahoo: :yahoo:)!

Best Regards,

Shane

Is it just me, or do certain years look better with bags than without? I really like the 06-07 sans bags, but to me, my 03 is just 'off' looking. I really don't like it much. ...maybe its the givi rack.... I'll post pics later from home for comparison.

Bag-less for daily commuting or weekend Hill Country riding, unless it's one of those Texas days that starts out needing heat and ends with A/C. Then I may need the bags to carry the extra gear. Mostly bag-less though unless heading out of town / overnight. I can get what I need for daily riding into my tank bag and under the seat.

As already stated, the FJR is one sport tour that looks just as good with or without the bags.

Bagless for me most of the time. A mag. tank bag is all I need for around town, and the twisty bits. I like the sportier look sans bags! BTW I have garnered a ticket in each configuration, so I don't place much faith in the bagtoten stelth concept.

Bagged. Only time I'm bagless is when I'm headed in for service. Taking them off makes it easier for the service techs, and less possibility of dammage to the bags. Personally, I think the bike looks better with them than without.

2cents.gif