Bella Coola & Hyder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fraser Canyon isn't as nice at night…
weirdsmiley.gif
Nice pictures G !
Thanks Tony. I imagine there were a few "eyes" staring back at you at night!

Enjoying the trip and looking forward to more.
You're welcome UK!

Great trip George! Thanks for sharing.
Good to hear from you henwil.

--G

Great RR so far Mr. MasterPlugger. Despite being even closer to it than you are, I've not done this ride - yet. Very glad to hear that the Tenere turned out to be such a good tool for this project!

Great trip report --G. You are a master of understatement.... "I’ve wanted (needed) a GSA forever but the initial buy in and ongoing maintenance costs have always given me pause."

"No guard rails and switchbacks that double back on themselves all while dealing with up to 18% grades." is just another day in BC....
smile.png

Heckman Pass & “The Hill"
Pictures don't do "The Hill" justice. No guard rails and switchbacks that double back on themselves all while dealing with up to 18% grades. The return trip coming up was much more fun and faster than going in! They say that trucks and tour buses traverse this road in the winter...can't imagine meeting one of those at a switchback.
This was actually my second time of riding "the Hill". The first time was in 2005 and I was riding a DL1000. That was quite an adventure after reading about "the Hill" in numerous magazines and how difficult it can be in rainy conditions. This time I knew what was coming, was riding a much better off pavement bike and the road seemed to be in better condition (probably was the same), the grades didn't seem to be quite as steep, and the hairpin curves didn't seem to be quite as sharp. I also had a different role, the first time I was the leader, this time my role was to follow George at a safe distance so I could mark the spot if he slid out and went over the side. That would be the only way the recovery team would have a chance of finding him.
smile.png

Since this is a FJR forum the standard question is "Could I do the hill on a FJR"? Sure....several already have and it would be much easier to do it going uphill but riding a FJR downhill is also very doable in dry conditions. I'm not sure I would want to ride downhill in a heavy rain if mud was caking on the tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heckman Pass & “The Hill"
Pictures don't do "The Hill" justice. No guard rails and switchbacks that double back on themselves all while dealing with up to 18% grades. The return trip coming up was much more fun and faster than going in! They say that trucks and tour buses traverse this road in the winter...can't imagine meeting one of those at a switchback.
I also had a different role, the first time I was the leader, this time my role was to follow George at a safe distance so I could mark the spot if he slid out and went over the side. That would be the only way the recovery team would have a chance of finding him.
smile.png
Gee Steve it is good to know you were looking out for George.
smile.png

Nice to know my riding partner was looking out for me...
omg2.gif
Seriously, "The Hill" was not a big deal and the slopes sure didn't seem as steep as advertised. OTOH, there wasn't a lot to stop you if things got out of hand!

Thanks for all the comments y'all. Working on the next piece...

--G

After traveling Heckman Pass and "The Hill", I didn’t know what to expect in Bella Coola. Several small communities lined the valley and looked like very nice vacation hideaways. Hagensborg has some unique history and appeared to be thriving with tourism.

The valley road was tree lined as far as you could see.

DSCN3023_zpssfd2morz.jpg

After checking into the Bella Coola Valley Inn, we took a short ride to the harbor for a better view of the inlet. I must add, the BC Valley Inn was a pleasant surprise as it was a virtual oasis in a community that is clearly struggling. Dining in the restaurant was excellent although food prices in Bella Coola were extremely expensive. I guess remoteness has a price...

Culture & History - Bella Coola

While riding in I wondered how electrical power was brought into the area. We followed power lines for much of the paved portion of the ride but after hitting the dirt and park they disappeared. My questions were answered at the Clayton Falls Recreation Site. From 1955 until 1962, the valley was serviced by diesel generators. Clayton Falls was constructed in 1962 as a run-of-the-river hydro generation facility to reduce demand for diesel fuel. In 1991 the hydro plant was upgraded from 500kW to 2MW to further reduce demand for diesel fuel.

DSCN3032_zps8tjf48o1.jpg

The next picture is courtesy of the BC Hydro site.

clayton-falls-full-width-nature_zps7mmtkxlq.jpg

Tallheo Cannery is located northwest and across the inlet of Bella Coola. It's a ways over there and barely visible in the pic.

DSCN3027_zps8lofzwco.jpg

There was a surprising amount of activity at the harbor. BC ferry service is available into the community although the schedule is erratic running on even and odd days, plan accordingly! I bet the ride is a stunning one with nice weather.

DSCN3028_zpskfsnrwge.jpg

DSCN3031_zps5hh3o3ge.jpg

DSCN3029_zpsmagf4h1j.jpg

This poor tug has seen better days...

DSCN3030_zps37jdptl4.jpg

The marina had some pretty nice boats in the slips.

DSCN3034_zpsdnmw66l3.jpg

DSCN3033_zpsjecb98cp.jpg

After dinner, we walked around the town and down to the river.

Totem%201_zpsvu4mybyq.jpg

Totem%202_zpsmzriovm6.jpg

Totem%203_zpsreiufwr5.jpg

Two folks drift-netting in the river. It was fascinating watching them in action and seeing the complex boat maneuvering without any power other than the strong current. Their net placement looked to be perfect...obviously they've done this a time or two!

BC%20River%202_zpskn5feniw.jpg

BC%20River%203_zpsnspfpfcu.jpg

...next up, Hyder

Nice write-up, George! My buddy and I rode into Bella Coola last summer. The temperature was close to 100 deg. F. all the way in and out from Williams Lake

which made the ride damn uncomfortable. I rode my FJR - no problems at all. Just keep it slow going down "The Hill". Conditions were bone dry though, it would

be a lot more challenging if the dirt sections were wet.

Don't forget to get Hyderized in Hyder!.

George, excellent report and pictures. A friend and I have been considering a trip into Bella Coola and your report is very helpful.

It is nice that you had a personal bodyguard in case of an accicent.

Traveling UP “The Hill” was much easier (and faster) than the trip in previous day. What was the unknown was now fresh in my mind…I knew what the Tenere (and I) was capable of and it was game on. The dirt was quickly dispatched as we were running upwards of 50 – 60 mph and having a ball! Stopping at the same Heckman Pass overlook, the road didn’t look nearly as daunting as it did just a few short hours ago.

DSCN3036_zpsni75nbpf.jpg

We returned to the Drummond Lodge in Williams Lake to plot the next day’s ride and enjoy a few adult beverages. Sleep came easy that night.

Heading north on CA 97 from Williams Lake, we made short work of Prince George and quickly made plans to stay the night in Smithers.

An old barn and homestead.

DSCN3037_zpsmmqt4e0u.jpg

Little red church all by itself in the field.

DSCN3039_zpsotfh8jbt.jpg

We skirted the river as we traveled north.

DSCN3040_zpsda6rtvqw.jpg

More open country.

DSCN3041_zps7thxdpmu.jpg

Stopping for a break we came upon the Hungry Hills Grizzlies.The story goes that a Grizzly developed a taste for beef and dined on thirty or so local stock. Understandably, ranchers were neither amused nor willing to continue feeding the wildlife…

View from the rest stop. Don't think I'd want to track down any hungry bears in this terrain!

DSCN3044_zpsvnvhwqff.jpg

Looking north into more rugged country.

DSCN3047_zpsaznycze8.jpg

That’s a big bear!

DSCN3048_zpshttybizq.jpg

The plan was to arrive in Stewart early the next afternoon, grab a room, cross the border and then spend the rest of the day sightseeing. In 2011, Panman and I had stayed at The King Edward Hotel and it again was clean, quiet and comfortable. Highly recommended! Weather reports looked promising with a dry window in the afternoon with rain returning in the evening and unfortunately the next day too. For the time being, the weather gods smiled on us.

Working our way north.

DSCN3051_zpst0hhp4ov.jpg

DSCN3052_zpskbxoqjsp.jpg

DSCN3053_zps8k2ajomx.jpg

Kitwanga is the junction of CA 16 (to Prince Rupert) and CA 37 the Stewart-Cassiar highway, and ultimately the Alaska Highway. Top off fuel here as the next fuel might be at 37/37A Meziadin Junction or Stewart. As we ventured further north, I was hunting for fuel whenever the tank was half empty. I’d rather stop once too often than miss it by that much...emphasis added!

The money shot!

DSCN3055_zpsapkldhpt.jpg

Crossing the Skeena river just north of the junction.

DSCN3057_zpsryrlzrxk.jpg

More big country.

DSCN3058_zpswgwef58y.jpg

Speed limit varied from 100 to 110...glad I was on the Tenere this time as the FJR would be a willing accomplice to do bad things...

DSCN3061_zpshrxd4k2u.jpg

Roadside color.

DSCN3060_zpsfmrf38ol.jpg

For Tyler...
smile.png

DSCN3062_zps3so1porj.jpg

From here it's glacier time and some more awesome scenery.

DSCN3063_zpsyzvlajoy.jpg

...stay tuned!

If you ever get bored in retirement don't forget this is a project waiting in the wings! You have the perfect skill set to assure your ship will come in!
smile.png

We could take up a collection on the forum to help you with this project. As Captain of your own ship you could provide a wonderful service to FJR riders on the forum who make their way to Bella Coola!

DSCN3030_zps37jdptl4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember the weather gods were smiling on us...

After making the corner at 37 / 37A the sun was out and the clouds lifted - at least for a little bit.

DSCN3064_zps1qducjhi.jpg

On familiar roads and close to Stewart, it was time for some sightseeing. The scenery traveling down the valley is simply stunning...lush, green, waterfalls, craggy mountains, it's all here. Oh, and did I mention glaciers??

DSCN3065_zps4nocaiye.jpg

DSCN3067_zpsp694sxf9.jpg

Not saying that I enjoy seeing critters while riding a motorcycle, but on the trip in 2011 there was abundant wildlife. The road was clear cut back 50 feet or more so visibility was never an issue and we always had plenty of warning when critters were around. We saw several deer and at least a dozen black bears before reaching Meziadin Junction.

This year nada, nothing. This lone young adult black bear was the only sighting while in the wilds.

DSCN3069_zpseoogvxo0.jpg

Continuing down the valley the clouds began to get lower.

DSCN3070_zpsxm0tzcri.jpg

Smaller glacier before reaching...

DSCN3072_zpstoq1zyuh.jpg

Bear Glacier. This trip I couldn't get a good pic as the clouds were low and just not cooperating with me! I've got the same pic from 2011 with my FJR and the clouds / overcast looked the same. The glacier looked very similar to me this trip. You'll see later that seemed to be the norm...

DSCN3076_zpsxmypcgke.jpg

Less bike!

DSCN3075_zpsqcfb5btk.jpg

As we continued down the valley, there were abundant waterfalls.

DSCN3080_zpset0inzai.jpg

Sneak peek of the inlet at Hyder off the pier / boat launch area.

DSCN3081_zpsh3aasqjs.jpg

'Nuff said!

DSCN3082_zpsxkegdwti.jpg

...next up, Salmon Glacier!

Great memories you are stirring up. Did a different route but Hyder was one of our highlights. Google " go west come hell or high water" and it will come up on Advrider. Was on my Super Tenere at the time too.

Keep me coming!

Cheers!