Bella Coola & Hyder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember that place! About there or four bikes ago for you!

If you asked him he saved my life that day too!

DSCN3903.jpg

Thanks for the kind words and following along all y'all - and my buddy Panman!
bye.gif

I gotta tell ya... freaking photobucket is going to drive me bat $hit crazy before I'm done with this. Between downloading pics and being overrun with advertisements, I'm about ready to cough up the $$$ and pay to go ad-free...ugh. I think it was 'Bandit in his thread that said he was afraid to touch anything for fear of the post blowing up...I'm there too!!!

One of the main reasons (other than beautiful scenery at every turn) I wanted to make a return trip to Stewart / Hyder was to see the Salmon Glacier. When Panman and I were here in 2011 it was raining - hard and the dirt road very sloppy. Had I been on the Tenere that time I might have risked it, but on a slick tire street bike it wasn't going to happen. That's the first time I saved Pan's life...
tonguesmiley.gif

This time the weather window was clear, we had the right equipment and there wasn't a question of "are we going". Beginning with six miles of pavement, the road turns into well maintained gravel and was generally in good shape for the remaining sixteen miles to the view point. There were a few switchbacks and steep sections with washboard but we made quick work of those. After all...I had my dirt legs back after conquering "The Hill".

Looking down the valley.

Salmon%202_zpsawxvlybv.jpg

The higher we go, the views got more spectacular.

DSCN3085_zpstl9ahero.jpg

Five miles south of the main view point is the "toe" of the glacier. Clouds were playing their games again, floating up the valley and blocking views.

Salmon%203_zpsjqthnlru.jpg

Once we got to the upper view point, views were completely obscured by the fog / clouds drifting up the valley. After waiting for several minutes, it didn't look like the clouds were going to cooperate so we retreated south to a better point. Damn...

Got some good views and pics, but a clear and sunny day would have been awesome!

DSCN3091_zpsw678ujfa.jpg

DSCN3096_zps7ldgh2m8.jpg

DSCN3097_zps94pkblnj.jpg

DSCN3101_zpsaij20eag.jpg

Had to turn around to catch this creek and waterfall. I bet it's something to see when the melt is going strong!

DSCN3102_zpswufyujsa.jpg

...like Bella Coola, the return trip was much faster out than in.
yes2.gif

Stay tuned!

Great stuff. Might I say, not sure which Tenere belongs to which rider, but that red crash bar looks hot on that bike. Just the right amount of color to work with it. Very nice.

Too bad it's a whole vacation just to get to Wa and back from Texas. Venturing further north requires more resources for us.
biggrin.png

Great stuff. Might I say, not sure which Tenere belongs to which rider, but that red crash bar looks hot on that bike. Just the right amount of color to work with it. Very nice.
Too bad it's a whole vacation just to get to Wa and back from Texas. Venturing further north requires more resources for us.
biggrin.png
That bike would be mine Jasen, and thanks for the compliment. I think it turned out pretty nice!

On this ride we spent nine days on the road and covered 2900-ish miles. Until you ride it once, you can't imagine the distances involved getting around western BC and points further north. Even with where I'm leaving from, it's too easy to burn through two weeks and still not get to the waaaaay north.

Next trip north...three weeks or longer for sure!

--G

By the time we finished the Salmon Glacier side trip, it was getting late and time to head back down the valley to Stewart / Hyder. Before crossing the "border" again, we stopped to grab a couple pics of Hyder and of course, the Glacier Inn. You're looking down main street here...blink once and you might miss it!

DSCN3108_zps3jlc7fbx.jpg

Have this very same pic with the FJR sitting there. Didn't go into the Inn this time and no, even after two trips here I haven't been Hyderized yet. Gotta leave something to look forward to for the next trip!
uhoh.gif

DSCN3103_zpsb13yxnnr.jpg

After dinner I took a short walk around Stewart to see some sights and what else I could uncover. Clouds weren't cooperating again but I caught a sneak peek of this glacier that overlooks the town.

Stewart%20Glacier%202_zpshj5qibww.jpg

Stewart%20Glacier%201_zpstomdqdw3.jpg

Unfortunately, I got to the visitor center after it closed. Too bad, as I wanted to see what made this area tic and figure out the "why" it was even there. Interesting reading on the area's history of mining and the boom and bust cycles that came and went.

Stewart%20History%201_zpst9urqnad.jpg

Stewart%20History%202_zpsjbulkijj.jpg

Stewart%20History%203_zpsdp1jdufw.jpg

Continuing past the visitor center, this boardwalk offered more views of the inlet and westward towards Hyder.

Stewart%20Walk%201_zpswfcllrt0.jpg

Stewart%20Walk%202_zpsyypehlgj.jpg

Remember those weather gods? Well, our luck finally ran out as we left Stewart in the rain and with that, the camera stayed packed and dry.

With limited time, we couldn't make the big loop and had always planned to back track to Prince George. The next day our luck really ran out as we hit rain north of Prince George and temps in the 50's. I was pretty comfortable with a liner added to the 'stich and heated grips didn't hurt either! '007 didn't fare as well and ended up putting on every layer that he packed.
cold.gif
So much for summer weather in BC!

Plans are already forming for the next trip over the border and I can't wait for the next adventure. If anyone's on the fence about heading north into BC, don't hesitate and just do it...you won't be disappointed!

Thanks for following along y'all!

--G

FIN

When George and I did our Watson Lk trip you really start to understand the word VAST.

Here are a couple of shots of George, one where he stopped to shoot a picture.

Not sure circumstances will ever allow me to, but hitting the Arctic Circle with George would be a high light in the bucket list!

Headed up the Cassiar towards Watson Lk some where.

DSCN3951.jpg

Headed south down 97 from Watson to Fort Nelson I think.

DSCN4049.jpg

When I win the lottery, I foresee a supertenre and a deep run into Alaska.
Thought you did, staying at home with the new baby and the Mrs off to work? I do get the point a S-10 and a trip to the end of the world would be cool!

This report brings great memories. Been to Alaska 4 times now, 3 times on a bike by myself. Every time I make the ride it becomes

emotional. The beauty and vastness are always leaving me saying "I wish I had someone to share this with" I will return next year again

and I hope to fly my wife for some "In- state riding"

Great report G !!!

Great ride report George! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Jim, looking forward to our next adventure.

Wonderful ride report with photos!Thanks for sharing with us!
smile.png
You're welcome Mihalis, happy to share pics from this side of the pond!

That was a great report, thank you.
Thanks Fly Bye!

Great RR...now I wanna go
Don't put it off Joe...none of us are getting any younger!

I LOVE THIS REPORT! PERIOD. Thanks George!
You're welcome 'Bandit and likewise for your report!

--G

When George and I did our Watson Lk trip you really start to understand the word VAST.
Here are a couple of shots of George, one where he stopped to shoot a picture.

Not sure circumstances will ever allow me to, but hitting the Arctic Circle with George would be a high light in the bucket list!
Thanks for the memories Kev. The first pic is my PC background at work...makes for a nice diversion when I need a brain break or just zone out for a minute! Seems like only yesterday when we were there. The vast open space is hard to put into words - no matter which adjective you choose, it just doesn't do it justice. Pics help, but still don't convey the feelings experienced in both of those instances.

This report brings great memories. Been to Alaska 4 times now, 3 times on a bike by myself. Every time I make the ride it becomesemotional. The beauty and vastness are always leaving me saying "I wish I had someone to share this with" I will return next year again

and I hope to fly my wife for some "In- state riding"

Great report G !!!
Exactly, thanks Tony!

--G