Cal-Sci Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is the breakoff for the height of the shield for height of rider? I know it depends on lots of things, helmet, seat height, rider height. I have an 03 and I have a C Baileys 4+3 flip. It was almost perfect until I had Russell do my seat, which raised about an inch and made of difference in shield height. At 5'10" would a medium do it or should I just go with the tall. Are these Cal Sci measurements taller than the 03 shield or the 04-05. If I remember the 03 stock was 2" shorter than the 04-05 stock. Would like to buy the right one the first time. thanks
My CalSci shield is supposedly 4.5+ over stock. I measured it against the Yami tall shield I had and it was 2" taller.

JeffAshe, the helmet buffeting I got was the high freq type that blurred my vision so bad I had to take it off after only 30 miles. I think the brand of helmet has something to do with it also. My HJC has vents on the top that I wish were not there. They make too much noise and upset the windflow.

I just put my Corbin Dual Canyon seat on and unfortunately, it raised me up about an inch or so, which makes a difference on me (6'2") as well. Kinda disappointing, because I was able to ride at any speed with the shield all the way down before. Now I really have to raise it an inch or two and I'm concerned about the wind force at speed straining the brackets. We'll see if it holds up.
Interesting...

I have a brand new, yet 2004 model HJC CS12 series with the top and bottom vents. And at certain windscreen positions, combined with 80+ speed, my head vibrates so badly that I get blurred vision too. I first thought I was having some health problem and pulled off the road, thinking I would have to call a cab or something to get home! Then realized that it was my damn head vibrating.

Hmmmmm.... <_<

What would shipping cost be to get the trade in shield to Cal Sci? Worth the difference. Have you shipped anything lately? Cost have gone way up and UPS is charging a fuel surcharge.

Jeff, mine is an HJC AC11. I never had a problem with it on my RT, but I got extremely good wind protection on that bike with my Aeroflow shield. On the feejer, with the old Yami tall shield, I got the same buffeting as with the CeeBaileys shield.

So ... I'm looking for a new helmet. When I find one that is clean on top, i.e., no vents, it's going to get a tryout! BTW, I have an HJC CS-5 open face I wear occasionally (rarely) and I do not get any ill effects on the top. The vents are in the front right above the visor where the wind does not hit directly. This is what leads me to believe it's the vents disturbing the airflow that causes the high frequency buffeting.

Ultimately, getting the windscreen at just the right height eliminates it all together with the CalSci, but I'd rather have it all the way down, all the time, since it is so tall.

fjrvtx1300s, FYI, I shipped my CeeBaileys back for credit and it cost me $45 bucks! I would assume shipping to CalSci would be the same, making your net credit $15. I never saw anything about this $60 credit, but Cee Bailey gave me credit minus 15% re-stocking with hardly any questions asked.

Last edited:
It's a bit of a barn door...
You've got that right!! I just received a CB +4+2 and I think it's a barn door & the CalSci is two inches taller - YIKES! To me, there's a point where function must follow form & I'll probably end up selling the CB (already have my Yamaha-tall back on) even though it has worked better than smaller than stock, stock, GIVI, Yamaha-tall and Laminar Lip. For me at 5'9", 31-inseam the Yamaha-tall has offered the best compromise closely followed by the GIVI. Good luck with the barn door - I'll still wave :bleh:

I'm interested in this windshield to reduce back pressure.

I would like to know more about it's height. My stock 05 measures 16 inches from center bolt hole, the one in the middle of "W" mounting bracket to the top. My RIFLE is 19 inches from same.

Could someone measure their's and tell my the lenght from bolt hole to top.

3 different sizes. Need to know what you have. Any help? :huh:

If nobody else posts theirs, I'll post mine on Wednesday when my medium arrives (according to Fedex).

I am looking forward to hearing Groo's report on measured height and road test of the CalSci medium. Just from reading these posts I would go with that.

I'm as function over form as anyone, but at some point form has to be acknowledged or people will start calling you road warrior. If it looks like you're packing a large slab of plexiglass, you probably are.

Could someone measure their's and tell my the lenght from bolt hole to top.3 different sizes. Need to know what you have. Any help? :huh:
My CalSci is 21" from the center bolt to the top. Again, it is the tallest you can get, supposedly 4.5" taller than stock. I did not have the stock, I had the Yami tall shield and this one was a full 2" taller.

BTW, I likey, likey, likey! :D But I'm tall and also spoiled coming from a BMW RT. I do think, however, that the "holes" or "vents" in the CalSci shield make the difference in eliminating turbulance and back pressure. Just my opinion ... take it for what it's worth. :p

Thanks for the info spcoms95. I needed some help deciding on size. Med. looks better for me. Don't want to go really tall.

21 is almost 5 inches over stock 05 shield. 1/2 inch could be difference in where we measured from, doesn't matter.

Back pressure pushes my head foward, strain on neck. IT SUCKS.

I might try to modify RIFLE, cut holes. Don't know yet.

Enjoy your ride, thas what its about.

Im 5'11 with the tall, it is way better than i expected no noise much less buffeting in the lowest position :D

Ok, so now that I've had the Cal Sci shield on for a couple weeks... here are my impressions...

Just for references, I'm around 5' 9" tall, have a Rick Mayer seat, and use Heli Risers.

The Cal Sci shield is the Medium, and is 3" taller than the stock Yammy shield, and a significant amount wider as well (note to self... go measure the width difference).

1) I definitely get less buffeting behind the new shield versus the stock one. My shoulders are now apparently out of the turbulence, so my jacketed arms don't seem to get smacked as much.

2) With the shield all the way down, the airstream hits me smack dab in the middle of my faceshield... which I like. Raised up about an inch and I'm in a very quiet neutral pocket. Raised all the way up and I get more back pressure than I ever did with the stocker.

3) All the way down, I can still look over the top of the shield easily. Even when I raise it up to get in the neutral air pocket, I'm still looking over the shield. As mentioned above, at full rise, I get a lot of back pressure, so I doubt I'll put it there often/ever... but if so I do look through the shield at that point.

4) I seem to have significantly less bug hits with the new shield... don't know why, or if it's just a less buggy time of year... but I'm not going to argue with it, because I hate bug splats on my faceshield.

5) The edges of the shield look a bit less "finished" than the stocker. Cal Sci. could apparently take a few minutes and sand the edges down to make it look better. Apparently they cut them out with a laser, and you can see some of the curve transitions are a bit abrupt.

6) Haven't seen anyone else mention this, but there is a big difference in the curve of the Cal Sci profile versus the stocker. If you lay the stock shield down on the floor, and put the Cal Sci. shield on top... the Cal Sci shield has a much more pronounced profile curvature.

7) Don't try to overtighten the plastic windshield mounting bolts. I snapped one of the heads off, and I didn't think I was being too rough with it.

Just initial impressions. Will post some pictures later. All-in-all, I think I'm going to like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
In response to my email inquiry today, Mark Lawrence, of Cal Sci said he was testing his second prototype for the '06 today. He said he hope to have something for market by the end of the month.

Ron

Groo,

Glad the medium worked out for you, That's exactly what I found with mine.

5'10" no risers, std seat + air hawk.

Chris

Secondary followup...

After riding with it some more... the Cal Sci shield may become my cold weather shield... riding here in Houston, especially in the summer, I need a LOT of air flowing on me to stay cool. It seems like using the CS shield, most of the airflow is missing me, even in the lowest position... so I may cut the stock shield down, cut out some Cal Sci. holes, and make it my warm season shield... and save the CS for when it's cooler and I don't want as much air on me. I'm still debating. One big benefit with the CS so far is way less bug splats.... :thumbsup: I like that a lot!

Oh, and here are pics of my bike... with the stock shield:

Stockshield.jpg

and the Cal Sci. Medium shield:

Calscishield.jpg

I put the stock shield (unmodified so far) back on last night and drove in to work this morning... man what a difference I get in terms of cooling airflow.... I'm definitely going to keep the stocker on (maybe minus an inch or two) for the summer... and use the Cal. Sci. for the colder months.

After reading about the Cal-Sci Windscreen I decided to order one myself also. I have to say I'm very happy with it. Like STL FJR, I'm a bit spoiled because I came from a cruiser and had great protection. So I'm looking for function. Although I personally do not think it looks that bad. It definetly is worth the money for me. Like Groo, I can see myself during some hot periods changing out to the stocker again just to have more wind for cooling, but I'm happy with my purchase.

devanator

I should also note that in addition to taking an inch off the top of the stocker, I'll probably be cutting holes like the Cal Sci. in the bottom... those do seem to help reduce the turbulence.

I should also note that in addition to taking an inch off the top of the stocker, I'll probably be cutting holes like the Cal Sci. in the bottom... those do seem to help reduce the turbulence.
Groo - Howz about a lessons learned and ride impression report when finished? Pics would be nice too! Just today I received the "plugs" for my Cal-Sci windscreen, might do a little experimenting with them for heavy rain showers, (hopefully I'll have to wait until late fall). If anyone has found a slick way to temporarily install them, I'd be interested in a how to.

Thanks much.

JW