Cal-Sci Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upon request, Cal-Sci will send you the cut outs (plugs) from the windscreen vent holes. I have yet to mess with them, but figure what little appreciable rain they keep out, will undoubtly increase turbulence. Not sure the trade off will be worth it, but if there is an easy way to install/uninstall them, might be worth a try in a downpour. To be continued.....

Ok, so now that I've had the Cal Sci shield on for a couple weeks... here are my impressions...
Just for references, I'm around 5' 9" tall, have a Rick Mayer seat, and use Heli Risers.

The Cal Sci shield is the Medium, and is 3" taller than the stock Yammy shield, and a significant amount wider as well (note to self... go measure the width difference).

1) I definitely get less buffeting behind the new shield versus the stock one. My shoulders are now apparently out of the turbulence, so my jacketed arms don't seem to get smacked as much.

2) With the shield all the way down, the airstream hits me smack dab in the middle of my faceshield... which I like. Raised up about an inch and I'm in a very quiet neutral pocket. Raised all the way up and I get more back pressure than I ever did with the stocker.

3) All the way down, I can still look over the top of the shield easily. Even when I raise it up to get in the neutral air pocket, I'm still looking over the shield. As mentioned above, at full rise, I get a lot of back pressure, so I doubt I'll put it there often/ever... but if so I do look through the shield at that point.

4) I seem to have significantly less bug hits with the new shield... don't know why, or if it's just a less buggy time of year... but I'm not going to argue with it, because I hate bug splats on my faceshield.

5) The edges of the shield look a bit less "finished" than the stocker. Cal Sci. could apparently take a few minutes and sand the edges down to make it look better. Apparently they cut them out with a laser, and you can see some of the curve transitions are a bit abrupt.

6) Haven't seen anyone else mention this, but there is a big difference in the curve of the Cal Sci profile versus the stocker. If you lay the stock shield down on the floor, and put the Cal Sci. shield on top... the Cal Sci shield has a much more pronounced profile curvature.

7) Don't try to overtighten the plastic windshield mounting bolts. I snapped one of the heads off, and I didn't think I was being too rough with it.

Just initial impressions. Will post some pictures later. All-in-all, I think I'm going to like it.

Just to confirm! you are having serious back pressure issues with this shileld up?

Yes, when I had the shield in the full up position, I was experiencing as much, if not more back pressure than the stock shield in the same spot. However, between full down and say 3/4 up, it was as good, if not better with regard to back pressure than the stock shield similarly configured.

I've now taken it off, and am going to use the stock shield due to a decrease in airflow when riding the bike, which isn't beneficial in Houston in the warmer months. The Cal. Sci. shield will go back on when it gets cooler again.

Upon request, Cal-Sci will send you the cut outs (plugs) from the windscreen vent holes. I have yet to mess with them, but figure what little appreciable rain they keep out, will undoubtly increase turbulence. Not sure the trade off will be worth it, but if there is an easy way to install/uninstall them, might be worth a try in a downpour. To be continued.....
Do you have to request them at time of purchase or can you request them after the fact??

I've just spent two days of riding in heavy, heavy rain in the mountains while using my Cal Sci screen. I'm here to tell you that the issue of whether or not to use plugs is a moot point. In light rain, the presence of the cutouts makes no appreciable difference in how much water gets through. In the real heavy stuff, it is all going to get very wet anyway. Fooling with plugs is a waste of time. Get good rain gear.

I just installed the short version of the California Scientific windscreen, and I really like it. It is about 1" shorter than the Cee Bailey +2 that I had on the bike. It flows plenty of air in the down position and is much quieter than the Cee Bailey when raised. I am 5' 7", and the height of the short screen is right for me. I think I may quit using earplugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Akro,

I wonder if the short would have been a better overall solution for me rather than the medium. For hot weather, I definitely need more airflow than I get with the medium...

Do you get any back pressure at freeway speeds with the shield all the way up?

Akro,
I wonder if the short would have been a better overall solution for me rather than the medium. For hot weather, I definitely need more airflow than I get with the medium...

I rode it only briefly with the screen all the way up, but it seemed to me that the backpressure was a lot less than with the CB. I will try to give a better test tomorrow and report back.

Do you have to request them at time of purchase or can you request them after the fact??
I requested them right after I ordered the windscreen (same day), but must have got wires crossed as the cut outs didn't arrive with the windscreen. Another email fixed the problem and received them via USPS about 2 days later.

JW

Cal-Sci Tall. After about two weeks, I can say it beats the other two aftermarket shields that I have bought. I have previously tried a Cee-Baileys +4/+4, as well as a C-B +4/+2-flip.

Previous large aftermarket screens:

When raised to the full height position, both caused way too much back pressure for me, as well as some windshield wiggle in windy conditions due to flex in the adjuster links, as well as some wind steering problems at speed in cross wind conditions. The back pressure was so strong that my jacket would puff up and suck towards the windscreen to the point that I could physically feel the pull. I am 6'3", but with only a 32" inseam, so I am tall from the butt up, probably equivilent to about a 6'5" person. I also have a Russel seat that I think raises me some. I had never been able to get a quiet ride at speed without a tall screen in the full up winshield position, which I never liked. I used various angle adjustment bushing spacers (3/8", 1/2", 5/8", & 3/4") to cut down on the vertical angle, which helped the pack pressure and handling some, but caused excessive noise for me, even with ear plugs. I also tried a laminar lip, and a wing-tip, and did not like using either of those.

Cal-Sci:

When raised to the full height position, it reduced noise as well or better than the other two I had tried, but the important part is that the back pressure, wiggle, and wind steering handling issues are not a problem for me anymore. The back pressure is reduced due to a combination of the vent holes, and the shape of the screen, which cuts back and tapers to a reduced on the upper section, which reduces the total cross section. Adjustment spacers can raise the lower section away from the fairing and also reduce back pressure an additional amount. I have noticed that on cool mornings my unlined stitch jacket leaves me with more chil on my arms than with the previous screens, because of the narrower tapered width, but that is a small price to pay for the improvement. I have been experimenting with spacers again, because I prefer the looks with the shield angle lowered some, and I can get close to the same raised height, but with a little reduction in the angle at the full height adjustment position, while still not sacrificing much on the noise, and also get better wind flow when lowered. For me, a 1/2" or 5/8" spacer seems to be about the best compromise. For me, I don't think anything will fit me perfectly, but this is the best I have found after hundreds of dollars of trying (ready for close out sale). I will still wear ear plugs most of the time because it still helps some at highway speeds, and because I like to ride with the shield lowered a lot of the time.

I just sent one of my C-B screens off for the competitive trade in, to avoid the hassle of selling it, but be aware that I was told to not wait to do so, because they were considering ending that plan this month.

Bike811

Just a follow up about the cal sci. Loved the silence, but the tall was right below my sight in the down position. I liked it there but would probably never use the adjustment. E mailed Mark the other day about cutting the shield down and within a few minutes he replied. Gave me some tips how to cut it, someone who might buy it and offered to exchange it for a small fee. I chose that option, and should have the medium here in a few days. Nothing but the best service, very appreciated. Being in retail, I cant count the times I have done things to make a customer happy and he now has earned my total respect.

On another note it hit 98 degrees here Wed, so as an experiment I drilled two 2 1/2 holes in the stock shield and put it back on the bike. It's amazing how much quieter it is in the raised position. Little or no buffeting, but could be a little taller. I think the medium should be just the ticked.

junior

Is there more than one place to buy them from? Or is $185 the only price out there?

Also do you think they would consider the Yami tall screen for trade in?

XHDrider,

See their webpage for the dimensions of Small, Medium, and Large. Most of the difference is in height.

Akro,

I took the bike for a 100 mile ride this morning to check out the Cal Sci short screen. The short screen measures 17" from the center mounting screw to the top of the screen. I am 5'7", 29" inseam and I have a Sargent seat (which seems to be the same height as the stock seat).

Compared to the Cee Bailey +2 flip I found:

1. In full down position, the Cal Sci short flows lots of air without turbulence - it is quieter than the CB.

2. In the full up position, I still look over it, but just barely. There is more noise in this position and some turbulence, but I did not notice any back pressure - the CB has lots of back pressure in the full up position. I will not use it in the full up position.

3. In the mid position, there is a place that is just right for me - still air, no back pressure, and less noise than the CB.

from reading posts i think cal science might be best for me. i'm

6'3" tall. guy at cal science said to get the xtall screen. but i heard

it might be too big and look like a barn door?? does anybody know

and think if the tall screen would be ok? have '06 fjr with stock seat.

:unsure:

from reading posts i think cal science might be best for me. i'm 6'3" tall. guy at cal science said to get the xtall screen. but i heard

it might be too big and look like a barn door?? does anybody know

and think if the tall screen would be ok? have '06 fjr with stock seat.

:unsure:
Hi,

Just got and installed my CalSci windshield. Mark from CalSci advised me also and at least for me it recomended me just what I needed. IT seems that he knows what he talking about, so I would listen to him.

FedEx reports my CalSci Tall for the '06 has made it from Sac. all the way to Fort Worth as of 9 pm last night. Too bad it's going to take them until tomorrow to get it the last 20 miles to my house :angry2:

EDIT: Now they show out for delivery today (8/16) so change that :angry2: to :D

I will be doing a full report vs. the '06 OEM shield with pics of the install and reviews of the shield's performance with both my Arai Signet and Schuberth Concept helmets for those that may be interested.

FWIW, I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam and have the OEM seat in the low position.

I installed a Cal Sci two weeks ago, and overall I really love it.

Before ordering I talked with Mark and he suggested the Medium would be perfect for my 5'10" height and 29" inseam. Since the tall seemed to be the choice among those who post, I was a little wary. I have to say he was right.

The difference in noise level from the stocker to the Cal Sci is more than I could ever have imagined. The Cal Sci is soooooooooo much quieter.

Downsides? A couple of things - First, the Cal Sci is so large that it prevents folding the mirrors back (be careful when you install or you will end up with one side resting on a mirror and a nice little paint nick as a result). No really a problem.

With the stock shield I often ran it at the very lowest position, which directed the airflow to me at shoulder height. If you like that type of air flow, you need to stay with stock. I don't miss it, but some might.

I rode my FJR from Chicago back home to Nashville (500 miles) on Monday. The difference in comfort level with the Cal Sci and the Corbin seat was a real treat. I actually went an entire tank of gas without stopping, which I could not do with the stock components.

I was curious as to the effect the larger windshield would have on gas mileage. Two weeks ago on a trip to Atlanta with the stock shield I got 52 mpg (running about 80 most of the way). Nazi level LEO activity and 65 mph speed limits meant I could only run about 70 on the Chicago trip with the Cal Sci. I got 49 mpg.

Bottom line is I would highly recommend the Cal Sci.

VM

Latest posts