Cal-Sci Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the local Home Depot yesterday, looking for spacers and FHCS's like in Brundog's photo. After searching in vain for the specialty nuts, bolts, fittings, etc cabinets, a floor salesman told me that HD management had them taken out...not enough sales.

Lowe's didn't have metal spacers (only nylon) and didn't have the metric FHCS's. No joy. :(

So, I'll begin searching other places today.

Probably gonna burn up $10 in gas looking for $2 in parts!

I second that. Got mine yesterday and it is a great improvment over the stock shield. No more wind hammering at higher speeds. I got the tall one with no regrets.

I received my medium CalSci windscreen two weeks ago and it is wonderful. No back pressure, no bufetting and I do not wear earplugs anymore. Now I can listen to the engine and hear the mellow sound out of the exhausts.

Happy riding

I've got a medium size Cal Sci on it's way to me... hopefully it works as well as everyone says. I'm not the tallest guy in the world, so I figured the long would be overkill. If I like it, I think I'll take a dremel to the stocker and summer-ize it.

I went to the local Home Depot yesterday, looking for spacers and FHCS's like in Brundog's photo. After searching in vain for the specialty nuts, bolts, fittings, etc cabinets, a floor salesman told me that HD management had them taken out...not enough sales.
Lowe's didn't have metal spacers (only nylon) and didn't have the metric FHCS's. No joy. :(

I have some extra hardware and spacers that I painted that I can send you. PM me your address info.

-BD

G"Day Guys

After reading all these posts about the Cal-Sci windscreens I emailed them and they recomended a tall screen for me .

So I have placed a order

I hope I have made the right choise . I was only a click away from ordering a Cee-Bailey

Time will tell ..Im in Australia

Regards Jacko

I have some extra hardware and spacers that I painted that I can send you. PM me your address info.

-BD
PM sent...thanx.

I saw on the CalSci web site where they give a $60 competitive credit for trading in a competitor's shield. That does make it tempting.
Anybody tried making similar cutouts to a CeeB to see how it behaves?

How about to a stock shield?.... I took off the oversize CeeB this summer... was way too hot...

got the drill out and....

Holes0542.jpg

Hope that link works, first time posting a photo...

Seems ok in cold weather.... also in the very wet.... bikes at the shop today for the throttle sensor stuff... they said will take a few days, but no biggie...

Talked my friend Rob into riding it... was in the low 40's.... so I'm a wuss, the Jeep is nice as comfy. He did manage to crack the throttle to 130..... and didn't stop grinning all the way home.... :D

Mary

Cal Sci medium report

After reading this thread, I decided on a Cal Sci medium.

I am 5’ 10”, of ‘average’ proportions, and I ride an 06 in the tropics.

Installed the screen this afternoon.

Installation was easy – the screen’s holes all lined up, and I was very careful when tightening up the screws…..

The screen is beautifully finished – no rough edges, and the optics are perfect.

Interestingly, it does not have the cut out holes of previous models.

Here is the new screen and the standard one for comparison. The Cal sci is a lot more upright than the stocker.

screenlb3.jpg

How is it? A big improvement.

At 60 km/hr (35 mph) with the screen all the way down, buffeting and noise is reduced by at least 75% over stock. At speeds up to 100 km/hr (60 mph), the noise is not obtrusive with the screen down. It is great to hear that wonderful engine….I hadn’t noticed how much the FJR pops on deceleration…

At speeds up to 120 km/hr (70 – I ran out of road to go any faster…), there is a lovely quiet area with the screen about ¾ up.

With the screen all the way up, I am looking through it, and all is very quiet. Back pressure is reduced by at least 80% over stock.

I didn’t get the chance for a longer ride, nor higher speeds…however, I am most impressed.

Screen all the way down....

dsc01987ol5.jpg

Helmets make a HUGE difference. I just went from a Caberg flip front to a Shoei RF1000 and the high speed buffetting with my Cee Baileys is gone. I considered getting a Cal Sci until I bought the new helmet. Now I am not so sure. BTW I am 6'2"

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

Did about 400 k's over the weekend with the new screen.

Great.....sitting at 160 km/hr (on a closed course, of course), with my visor open was a rather surreal experience....

:yahoo:

I did find the new screen more sensitive to disturbed air from the vehicle in front.

Update:
Did about 400 k's over the weekend with the new screen.

Great.....sitting at 160 km/hr (on a closed course, of course), with my visor open was a rather surreal experience....

:yahoo:

I did find the new screen more sensitive to disturbed air from the vehicle in front.
Wonder why they stopped putting holes in them? I thought it was supposed to help with back pressure relief.

GP

Proud new owner of a CalSci XTall. Took it out for a spin tonight, couldn't be happier. Much quieter than stock and it doesn't look as goofy as I thought it might (well, when it's down it doesn't). When it's full up I feel like a cop in riot gear, but man it's quiet.

For the record, 6'4", 220 with 34 inseam. I can ride with a slight slouch (bad posture) with the shield half up and it's quiet. It gets quieter from 50% up to full up, but not substantially quieter so I will probably ride with it at half up most of the time on the highway.

Ciao!

-jtrhone

Latest posts