Come drink some POISON!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I guess I am going to ship tires out to Ely as I can get them shipped direct for free and save $200+ on tires and I will need to find a way to mount them there. I am arriving early, June 17, so I will have time to get them mounted. I may even bring my spoons and do it myself. My biggest issue is I run a car tire on the rear and many motorcycle shops will not mount a CT on the wheel. My local dealer does and so does the local Tire Kingdom.
I just mounted new tires this week but I am planning a long ride out, more than double than my direct route.
winksmiley02.gif

Is anyone brining any tire changing gear to Ely?
I lived in Ely for 10 years and was just there a couple of weeks ago. As far as I know there's no moto shop in town, and only one automobile tire "store". The nearest towns that I'm aware of that would routinely change/balance moto tires would be in Elko, Cedar City, UT, and Salt Lake City, UT. Depends which way you're coming into Ely, I just assume probably from the south or east.

Good Luck!!

Thanks everyone. I am going to call the shop in Elko tomorrow and see what they can do.
If you're coming through Carson City I'd be happy to do the tire work for you AND you can spend the night here. You'll also get a decent BBQ meal (IMO anyway) and have company on the ride to Ely :)

Thanks everyone. I am going to call the shop in Elko tomorrow and see what they can do.
If you're coming through Carson City I'd be happy to do the tire work for you AND you can spend the night here. You'll also get a decent BBQ meal (IMO anyway) and have company on the ride to Ely :)
Can't go wrong with BBQ and a bed at Endo's place; I've partaken of his hospitality a few times. Throw in a tire swap and it's a no brainer if you're heading through.

P.S. - He's got a fridge full of beer too :lol:

It sounds like a great offer but I am going to be on the clock on my way to Ely.

It sounds like a great offer but I am going to be on the clock on my way to Ely.
Aren't we always on the clock?
weirdsmiley.gif
One of the drawbacks to LD riding IMO …

Have a great ride Greg! I will be following out there in early July.

I just spoke to the 4-7's hotel to ask about having tires shipped to the hotel and they said that would be fine. So I am ordering to be shipped there with free shipping. I am going to bring Dyna Beads and my tire irons in case I can not find a place to mount the tires.

I am arriving late on June 17 so I should have time to get the tires mounted.

I have a shop in Broomsfield Co if that's better
Ok, thanks. I am still trying to get everything in order. My wife coming out makes it a little harder to get all of the planning done. Now she wants to go west instead of north and she is flying into Reno.

I have a new rear tire being shipped to the host hotel and will just need to get it mounted somewhere.

I still have not found a LARGE bone, at least that I can show everyone.
winksmiley.jpg
I have been to a couple local grocery stores but they no longer get meat the same way. I am headed to a butcher shop Monday.

I have a new rear tire being shipped to the host hotel and will just need to get it mounted somewhere.
winksmiley.jpg
I have been to a couple local grocery stores but they no longer get meat the same way. I am headed to a butcher shop Monday.
Try calling Gale Oil and Tire (775.289.2165), in Ely. A friend thought they might be able to mount your moto tire. It's worth a phone call anyway.

winksmiley.jpg
Pssst.... I got a good, big, exotic Gemsbok skull from a taxidermist. ;-)

Well my Poison rally did not go as planned, 5 hours into the rally I had a helmet malfunction on my Nolan N104. The button that operates the latch mechanism on the flip up part of the helmet broke off and I could not open the helmet. Not being able to open the helmet also meant I could not take it off very easy as the helmet was designed to only be taken off after opening the flip part of the helmet. I did get the helmet off but I had to almost rip off my ears to do it.

The button broke about 5 hours into the rally and I did not want to ride with the flip part of the helmet up as I felt it was a safety issue. I tried to ride with the flip part down but not latched and the winds kept closing the flip all the way which again made it difficult to take off the helmet. I thought about not taking the helmet off during the 32 hour rally but that did not seem to be a good idea.

After about 1150 miles I called it quits and dropped out of the rally. After I got somewhere I could take the helmet apart I found the reason for the malfunction. I had ridden 4 BBG's to the start of the rally and I rode through multiple sand storms and the mechanism was full of sand which caused me to use more pressure to operate the button which plastic and it broke.

The rally was fun and I had a great time and I hope I make the cut for the next one. I did get to ride 2 Nevada Fast Triangle loops and the name speaks for itself.
winksmiley02.gif

Sorry to hear about your helmet issue, Quatro BBG thru sandstorms, they just don't make those helmet latches like they used to. Nolan should give you a free one and sponsor you on your next cross country flight.

Sorry about your helmet, Greg! I had a great time. No one puts on a fun event like Cognoscente! !!