FJRF004: The 2006/7 Altitude Fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the rp15y is the year the 26A i dont know. But the last 6 is and the rp15y is what I asume is the proper range. I should hear back from my dealer today if not i will go down there before work.
Here's a nice VIN tool that will tell you what each digit means.

Link

In your case it breaks down to: (Each VIN is 17 digits)

1-Region: Asiacool thanks

1-2-Country: Japan

2-3-Manufacturer: Yamaha

4-8-Model Specific: RP15Y

9-Check Digit: Valid

10-Year: 2006

11-Assembly Plant: A

12-17-Serial Number: 000152
Cool thanks

It would be interesting to see what the Barbarian jumped ECU owners find with before/after values. If you are having your ECU changed you might want to record the original CO values before the swap.

Ionbeam, Thanks and I agree! Wish I had checked my original ECU. It seems like the replacement before mod was a tad richer than the original which was definetely too lean.

Your karma account is much higher, again. Thanks. BTW, called my dealer today and they claimed nothing was showing on their service sites. I told him to look harder.
My dealer told me that he always checks the yamaha service site and they always show new bulletins on the front page - but this was not showing, but since he had the number from my email to him, he looked further, and there it was, down in the section with all the prior bulletins. Apparently Yamaha does not want to "alert" the dealers, but rather, let them that need it, "find it".

Kurt
That is bullcrap! The bulletin is on the top of the list.

Tony

How would the installation of a PIII affect the dealer doing this..remove it first ?

Thanks, cary

How would the installation of a PIII affect the dealer doing this..remove it first ?
The presence of the PC-III should not affect anything the dealer does.

Still, depending on your relationship with your dealer.... you may want to consider removing it for this warranty repair. Though it shouldn't make a difference, truth be told. If it's a complete ass-pain for you to remove it, I'd just leave it.

For those of you who say your dealer is having trouble locating the Bulletin, tell him that after he logs into his YDS system and enters the "Service" section, he needs to click on "Publications", then "Tech Library", and he should see the Bulletin listed right there.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seamed to run great on the way home but since I'm in FLorida, I couldn't check altitude sensitivity.
As soon as I got it home I did the Barbarian Mod and checked CO Settings. As installed it was: #1 = 5; #2 = 18; #3 = 18; & #4 = 21

I added 7 to all cylinders and it runs great but I'm wondering if maybe it didn't need the addition and that Yamaha has added a little to the CO numbers for the replacement ECU's.
If it was running great with the new ECU, why would you do the BJM?!?!

I'll dump the ECU on my dealer's owner's desk, along with instructions how to access the bulletin. Hope to get the new one in return. If they insist on the bike being there, would just connect the ECU and lay it on top. Shop is only 4 miles away. But hope air filter remains in place. Will have to check the service manual for removal instructions. Looks like the whole plastic piece has to come off on AGirl's photo.

As a side comment, ALL techs that were employed when I took delivery of my bike in late June, are GONE! Geez, and I gave them jackets and motorcycle parts in case I needed them. On the other hand, NONE of them had worked on an FJR beyond assembly. Oh well. Later gang.

JC

I called my dealer and discussed this issue with them. They have the ECU on order for me. Hopefully it wont take long to arrive. Truthfully, this is the only real "nag" I have with the bike.

How long and difficult is it to replace? Will I be able to ride the bike up and wait while the swap it out?

Thanks,

Mark

Harrisburg NC

I'll dump the ECU on my dealer's owner's desk....
And we wonder why dealers get defensive about customers reading stuff on the Internet? :angry:

If I were your dealer and you plopped a ECU down on my desk I'd seriously wonder if you didn't do something like put in your dishwasher before you brought it down. I'd make you go back home to get your bike to bring it back and confirm the VIN number off the steering neck.

Meanwhile I read the bulletin myself and when you return I'd remind you that the ECU will need to be ordered. Of course, I'd give you the option of leaving the ECU on my desk or take it back home. I'd also ask you if you're riding in any mountains with 3,000 elevation anytime soon to establish priority.

How about the whacky idea that you ride your bike down, say that you have a problem, suggest there might be a bulletin providing a number if they have any problems finding it, and then let your dealer do some work? It just seems a lot less confrontational. :rolleyes:

I called my dealer and discussed this issue with them. They have the ECU on order for me. Hopefully it wont take long to arrive. Truthfully, this is the only real "nag" I have with the bike.
How long and difficult is it to replace? Will I be able to ride the bike up and wait while the swap it out?

Thanks,

Mark

Harrisburg NC
Mark, if you notice on page 3 of the bulletin the labor allowance is 0.3 hours. It also tells you how to R&R the unit. Not too difficult I must say. And probably only the dealer can do the work and as far a waiting guess that will be determined by your dealer and how busy he is. PM. <>< :D

And we wonder why dealers get defensive about customers reading stuff on the Internet? :angry:
Not when they personally know the customer.
Well, that's a great missing detail to know. Had there been a smily face with the desk dumping we might have know you were being facitious. :) But, with the updated detail now other folks that aren't on first name basis with their dealer won't be confused. Thanks for the clarification. ;)

But, with the updated detail now other folks that aren't on first name basis with their dealer won't be confused. Thanks for the clarification. ;)
On the downer side.... by posting this in the public domain, now Yamaha Cypress knows that your dealer is cool with allowing customers to perform their own warranty work. Pretty sure that's a direct violation of policy, but....

As a side comment, ALL techs that were employed when I took delivery of my bike in late June, are GONE!
A mass exodus like this is frequently an indication of significant internal strife within the dealership. Makes one wonder what is going on in that department that results in their inability to retain employees. Dunno if I would want to subject my bike to such an organization to allow whatever culture was created that prompted a mass exodus like that....
shrug.gif

I stopped by my dealer this morning and they ordered the ECU!!! Thanks everyone!! Back to the mountains for fun.

"As a side comment, ALL techs that were employed when I took delivery of my bike in late June, are GONE!"

In Houston thats just a sign there is more than one place to work, the job market is good and no one has to stay anywhere and put up with any crap.

Is it just the last 6 digits of the serial number that we need to check? Mine is an '06 with the last digits being 000157. Would this be included?

Is it just the last 6 digits of the serial number that we need to check? Mine is an '06 with the last digits being 000157. Would this be included?
Axe,

You should be good to go. If there's a "15E" in your VIN then you fall into the first range (my '06 did and I've been called by the dealer and Steve from Cypress). If your dealer says "no" then I'd drive on to the next dealer.

You must be in the "mountainous" region of Sag Harbor :D

FjrVfr

Well, my dealer ordered the ECU. They stated that the tech bulletin is not on the service site, but upon pulling the bulletin they noticed that my VIN number is in the specified range. They seem perplexed by this. YAmaha seems willing to do the repair if you know you need it. Fair enough.

On the downer side.... by posting this in the public domain, now Yamaha Cypress knows that your dealer is cool with allowing customers to perform their own warranty work. Pretty sure that's a direct violation of policy, but....
And how the heck do you know he'll accept my offer??? Don't ASS-U-ME buddy. Read what I said first.

I'll certainly try :rolleyes: , but am prepared to hear 'I'm sorry buddy, but you have to bring it in'.

And I have to say many of us are much more capable than just swapping an ECU. You seem to imply dealers always know what they're doing. Guess you haven't read about dealers even screwing up the assembly, huh? Do a search here. There're a few threads where folks with a brand new FJR found their axle bolts loose, caliper bolts loose, and another basically every bolt involved in the assembly loose. That's scary $hit man. Nobody is interested in my safety more than I am, and fortunately, I feel perfectly capable of doing all the work on my bike. And at least in this town, I can almost guarantee you I can do most work better than any dealer, simply because it's MY bike, it's my safety on the line, and I take the TIME to do the job right the first time.

This is such an easy job that I don't mind taking the bike in at all. With the ECU laying under the seat, it'll take them a minute to swap... under my watchful eye < he he>. Later.

JC

In response to Warchilds reply E(xtra)L(ong)P(lay) sez:

...Guess you haven't read about dealers even screwing up the assembly, huh? Do a search here...fortunately, I feel perfectly capable...I can almost guarantee you I can do most work better than any dealer, simply because it's MY bike...Later.JC
Well, the fuse is lit and Friday is coming ---- :jerry: