FJRF004: The 2006/7 Altitude Fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question regarding the VIN numbers.
I am in the UK with an '07 bike which I purchased in July. It was new off the boat - hadn't been standing around in the shop or anything. The Vin number starts with JYARP131 and ends with 7721. This seems to be well outside any range that is mentioned in the bulletin - but above, someone said that ALL '07's were affected.

So, where do I stand?

Thanks for any answers

Alan
I'm in Germany with an '07 purchased in September. Mine does the falter-surge thing just over 2000 ft changes in altitude. My VIN also starts with the JYARP131. Anybody else in the Europe side know of bulletins with VIN ranges in them for us?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like to ask where I stand. The question is I bought my FJR ´06 new in US and imported to Iceland. Now I have contact my Yamaha dealer (Yamaha Main Dealer) and asked what about the surging problem and replacing the ECU under warranty. They told me that they would not help? I have to go through the dealer in US???

I always thought that Yamaha would service they’re bikes no matter where it was bought at the first place. If something comes up then I have to get all my warranty service in US they told me. This is because I did not buy the FJR from them in first place.

VIN: 15E-1472.

Way don’t they contact Yamaha for me and claim this? Way do I have to do all the work for them and this is under warranty? I have been arguing with the main dealer here in Reykjavik and it’s like talking to the wall.

Could anybody point out for me some phone no: at Yamaha in US or the main office in Europe? Or do I have to call them in Japan?

Hawk1

:angry2:

Hawk,

I hate to say it, but you are dealing with an asshat. They should take care of you as (theory) A yamaha is a yamaha is a yamaha. They will get re-imbursed for the work and part.

Did you print the PDF bulletin? show them the code to use for re-imbursement.

Try another dealer if possible.

Maybe you can get a US dealer to mail you the part to put on and do it yourself under these conditions.

ELPJC knows one (apparently)

Are they asking for the old module back, anyone???

PS edit your vin out. scammers like to get real vin #s to try to make a fraudulent sale

yes they are taking the ecu's back. They get a huge fine from yamaha if they dont send them back as I understand.

Guess I'm fortunate that the dealer in my area is honest and has integrity. When I first noticed the altitude problem in May on my trip to Mojave he listened attentively and never once doubted what I had experienced on the FJR going up the backside of Crestline. A few weeks later he called me and told me he had talked with Yamaha, couldn't say for certain but that they were aware of the problem. He stayed in continuous contact with me all summer. Later when I came in to buy an oil filter he came out and told me that Yamaha had gotten back to him and that a "fix" was in the near future. (all stated on this site as well). :clapping:

I finally got back from travel this week, went in and inquired about my bike. He let me see the bulletin and he told me to go talk to David in Service and then David ordered a new ECU, told me that he would call me when it came in and then thanked me for being his customer. This is the kind of dealer that other dealers probably wonder "why the hell do people drive 200 miles to buy a bike from him"? (I talked to a rider who came up here from Phoenix and another from New Mexico)

I don't know where some of you find these "ass hats" as you refer to them but Cochise Motor Sports here in Sierra Vista, AZ is a great bunch of folks from the owner (Cliff) all the way down through his sales and service people. I think it was because of this attitude that I was never worried about Yamaha getting a "fix" to us and I think I stated that a few times here to some of the owners who thought they were going to get "screwed".

I suppose it's just the luck of the draw that I bought my FJR from CMS but I'll take it. Glad all of us are getting our ECU's replaced. I don't think I've ever enjoyed riding a bike like the FJR and I think Yamaha designed and manufactured an incredible product.

Ride safe.

AZ

Warchild, Dale many thanks. I didn't see this thread until today although I have been following this issue (other threads) for a long time. I personally have not experienced the problem yet on my 07 but it is only because the last higher altitude I rode at was on my 05 in the mountains & I live in the flatlands having not toured yet on the 07. I live 60 miles from my dealer. It just happened that Thursday (10/18) I was near the dealership on other business & stopped in to visit with the service manager. I had mentioned the Altitude/ECU issue with him a few weeks ago and he had not heard anything about it. At any rate Thursday he attemped to call Yamaha while I was there and was never able to get through. After what seemed like an infinite hold the system went to voice mail. To make a long story short-today I saw this thread that you posted late on Wednesday (10/17) and called him. While on the phone I quoted him the "M2007-016" excert. While I was still on the telephone he checked his computer & found the Yamaha document and he agreed to order the ECU so that it could be installed at my next standard service. The service manager has always been the best, and most responsive I have worked with. One of the major issues seems to be knowing where/who to contact and/or to have a reference to use. As a long time forum member (#17) I am totally convinced that most of us are more aware than our dealers are of details about our bikes-At least when problems/solutions first come up. This should take care of any future problems when I am 700 miles plus away from home on a trip. Thanks once again for your efforts. Ron

Mine is one of the affected bikes too. I'll call them next week and see how long until they get me a new one.

I never really noticed it though cuz I don't think I've ever had the throttle "steady" for more than a mile or two. :)

Warchild, Dale, Many thanks. Talked to the local Yamaha dealer here in Ogden, UT this morning (are names OK here). He said the new ECM was on its way.

Living here along the Wasatch, I frequently ride from 4000 to 10000 feet altitude. Didn't buy the FJR from this dealer but when I told him a few weeks ago about the altitude surge and the forum discussions, he contacted Yamaha without my asking and followed it up until, thanks to your efforts, Yamaha acknowleged the problem. I'm not sure that my vin falls within the ranges posted on the link but it appears that I will be getting it fixed anyway.

It was interesting to read on the link that opening the throttle beyond 1/4 causes a new reading to be taken. Of course, I always have to open the throttle WAY up when I experience the "dead zone" at altitude in order to get a response from the engine. The link implies that once I do that, the problem will clear up until another altitude change. That is not the case, however. The very next time I try to open the throttle a little, the flat spot shows up again. The only way I have noticed to clear up the problem was to stop, shut off the engine, then restart. It stays fine then until I decend in altitude.

Again, many thanks for your efforts. Next time you make it to Northern Utah, I owe you a beer. See you at NFO.

Just wondering if any one had trouble getting the ECU changed due to "stuff" under the seat such as Audiovox CC, PCIII and autocom or starcom etc. Sam

Just wondering if any one had trouble getting the ECU changed due to "stuff" under the seat such as Audiovox CC, PCIII and autocom or starcom etc. Sam

Not yet. :ph34r: As long as they can get to the ECU, you should be good. I have an alarm, brake light controller, and a HUD transmitter tied in down there. They didn't even question it, but that could just be my dealer.

Correction: In my previous posting, I disagreed with the bulletin and claimed that shutting off and restarting was the only altitude cure I experienced. That turns out not to be the case.

I took my FJR out for a loop over the Wasatch into Wyoming and back this afternoon and deliberately tested the bulletin's claim about 1/4 throttle causing a new reading to be taken by the ECU. Riding conditions were dry winding canyon roads, mostly, with some snow showers and slick spots on the Wyoming side of the loop. Temperatures were 25 to 45 Fahrenheit. This was seat of the pants experimenting but here's what I found.

Once the altitude surge became noticeable, my typical (couldn't be too agressive because of the danger of slick spots lurking in the middle of shaded curves) method seems to be opening the throttle until I get a response from the engine then backing off quickly because the acceleration I get is much more than the gentle push I intended. Next time I try to roll on a little mild acceleration, the "dead zone" is still there.

However, when I deliberately opened to nearly full throttle and held it for a count of 4 or 5, the surge went away and nice fine, smooth acceleration returned until I gained enough altitude for the surge to become noticeable again. I tried variations on the amount of throttle and duration but can't really quantify the results. Bottom line, however, is that opening the throttle to some extent and holding it a little bit will clear up the surge, just as if I had shut off the engine and restarted.

I still think that the current ECM setting is impractical. I certaintly could not get the ECM to reset within any kind of throttle opening or duration that kept me within speed limits (or reasonable safety on potentially slick roads). I never did get it to reset on the downhill side of the canyons. Too much acceleraton to hold the throttle way open for long enough.

BTW, that kick in the pants I get when the surge kicks in is pretty thrilling on slick roads.

Hi guys,

Thanks to Warchild et al., I went to my dealer last Thursday and the Parts Manager ordered an ECU for my affected bike. He says 5 days for delivery, but we'll see. My question is, do I need to reverse the Barbarian modification? I kept the original CO values written in a safe place. I'd prefer not to open up and mess with the pins again if it truly doesn't matter. Opinions welcome.

An aside -- it would be interesting to see if the CO settings are changed with the new ECU...and any effect on handling.

TIA

Appreciate all the kind words, gentlemen, but you really should be directing your appreciation to TruWrecks, as he is the one who "did it right" and took the time to gather the information and work WITH Yamaha to effect a (relatively) quick fix to this issue.

TruWrecks rocks! :punk:

Appreciate all the kind words, gentlemen, but you really should be directing your appreciation to TruWrecks, as he is the one who "did it right" and took the time to gather the information and work WITH Yamaha to effect a (relatively) quick fix to this issue.
TruWrecks rocks!
Thanks much TruWrecks for all the work. Ron

Hi guys,
Thanks to Warchild et al., I went to my dealer last Thursday and the Parts Manager ordered an ECU for my affected bike. He says 5 days for delivery, but we'll see. My question is, do I need to reverse the Barbarian modification? I kept the original CO values written in a safe place. I'd prefer not to open up and mess with the pins again if it truly doesn't matter. Opinions welcome.

An aside -- it would be interesting to see if the CO settings are changed with the new ECU...and any effect on handling.

TIA

Yeah, I have the same question. What would you guys do?

I just called my dealership here in Charlotte and asked about the Alt sickness fix and the service dept rep said he didn't know if he had any kits in stock, but he took my number and said he'd call back. That was in the morning and he called back in the afternoon to say he retrieved my VIN from the computer and would be able to order a kit for my bike W/O me having to bring the bike in. He said he wanted to get back to me on this and didn't want me to think he forgot about it. I thought that was pretty decent of him to do this - this is my first time I've used the dealership for anything maintenance related for the bike. I'm pleased they are willing to earn my business! :drinks:

Herkypilot

TruWrecks rocks! :punk:
Ditto that.

I followed this "adventure" from its start and never thought that my 06 would be within the "fix" group. I don't (at least not yet) travel at altitude.

Thank you TruWrecks!!

My situation is similar, with respect to dealer service. I went in last fri afternoon explaining evrything to my dealer. I even copied off the threads here with all the pertinent info. I had been on a ride to the Arkansas hills the previous weekend and noticed a slight stumble at 1800 feet. The guy called me back 4 hrs later and said the new ECU was on it way, and I could come in next week to change it out. I was shocked. But thankful for the service.

Thanks for the info WC, at least I now know the bike will have to go to the shop at some time or other for this fix. I'm glad this is going to be taken care plus the fact I know my bike is on the list. If this weren't so funny it would be pathetic, the last words the srevice writer at the dealership where I've had warranty work done performed on my FJR several times was "The next time we see this bike I hope it's for something other than warranty work". Oh well....... What can I say? I don't figure this will take a whole lot of time to complete (at least not weeks or months), but then I could be wrong as I have been before. About the only good thing is the fact it's almost getting to that time of year when the bike isn't ridden that much, and this is something Yamaha is fixing for free. My poor bike since I've gotten it seems like it's been in the shop more months than I've ridden it, but that's another story that doesn't have an ending to it yet.

I appreciate all of the people who have been keeping track of this problem and are partially responsible for getting Yamaha to not only notice it, but create a permanent fix for it. At least this time I get to take Feejer to the doctor at my convenience.

Since this whole fiasco has been so interesting to me, I'm not surprised by my experience at my Yamaha dealer's shop today. While standing in line at the parts/service counter, waiting to pay for two (2) crush washers (changing rear end juice) my trusty cell phone vibrates. What happens next fits to a tee the reality of the world of motorcycles and us.

Hello I say.

Hello Mr. Berlin (don't know whether to feel respected or OLD) this is XYZ Yamaha calling. The parts you ordered are in. When can you come down so they can be installed?

What parts are those I ask?

Don't know, I 'd have to ask the Parts Manager.

Well he's standing right next to you, go ahead and ask him I reply.

Now for the classic response; "HUH" he says.

By now the PM is laughing his ass off, grabs the young guy and points to me standing in line holding the phone.

So..... I now have, much to my surprise another ECU residing in my 06 FJR.

How I ended up getting something so quickly without saying a word is the sad thing.

All I can say is, thanks again to everyone (you know who I mean) for the EFFORT and HARD WORK.