FJRF004: The 2006/7 Altitude Fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this whole fiasco has been so interesting to me, I'm not surprised by my experience at my Yamaha dealer's shop today. While standing in line at the parts/service counter, waiting to pay for two (2) crush washers (changing rear end juice) my trusty cell phone vibrates. What happens next fits to a tee the reality of the world of motorcycles and us.Hello I say.

Hello Mr. Berlin (don't know whether to feel respected or OLD) this is XYZ Yamaha calling. The parts you ordered are in. When can you come down so they can be installed?

What parts are those I ask?

Don't know, I 'd have to ask the Parts Manager.

Well he's standing right next to you, go ahead and ask him I reply.

Now for the classic response; "HUH" he says.

By now the PM is laughing his ass off, grabs the young guy and points to me standing in line holding the phone.

So..... I now have, much to my surprise another ECU residing in my 06 FJR.

How I ended up getting something so quickly without saying a word is the sad thing.

All I can say is, thanks again to everyone (you know who I mean) for the EFFORT and HARD WORK.

LOL :p Damn that's funny!

Herkypilot

So..... I now have, much to my surprise another ECU residing in my 06 FJR.
Well I checked the CO settings this morning and they are, as was suspected, returned to the ones I had from the factory 5,18,18,21. Those of you that fiddle with this (like I had) will need to reset to your personal choice, if you choose. The bike runs just the way it did when new, that is it has that slight surging at low speeds.

Capt. Bob

My dealer, in Albuquerque, told me last week that there was nothing he had been sent on this. He did, however, check the Yamaha site and found it. He was impressed that we knew about it.

Yesterday, he called me and said he got the actual bulletin. He said it was not as detailed as he would have liked, nor was it really specific. However he said he had ordered two ECUs (?) for me....one for the wife's FJR and one for mine. Also said they had a bunch of ECUs in the warehouse (not sure where).

This is just to let you know that all dealers may not have the info yet. But, they will........

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Called my dealer Tuesday and he verified mine is one of them. Called me today to say ECU is in and when do I want to bring the bike by. :D

My dealer (EMS in Bellevue WA) called me this afternoon and set he got the first 2 ECUs, so I zipped over there and got it installed. Says there were 4 of waiting for one. Sunday I am doing a trip over the Cascades (Steven's Pass, 4000ft) so it was good timing.

thanks again to TruWrecks!

Well I checked the CO settings this morning and they are, as was suspected, returned to the ones I had from the factory 5,18,18,21. Those of you that fiddle with this (like I had) will need to reset to your personal choice, if you choose. The bike runs just the way it did when new, that is it has that slight surging at low speeds.Capt. Bob
I think I'm going to leave the Barbarian changes and bring it in and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm going to leave the Barbarian changes and bring it in and see what happens.
My guess is that you will find the settings are returned to factory spec (whatever that was) unless you ask your service tech to reset them to your specs.

Capt. Bob

Once again, this thread need a photo (assuming this is the appropriate thread)! So, here's mine:

9-ContDiv1.jpg

Fireworks for the FJR's new ECU since I made it to 7,200 feet! :clapping: However, despite 2,000 miles on the new ECU, I'm not ready to make any final conclusions since all 2k have been WOT interstate miles. FWIW, since the swap I have seen a definite decrease in gas mileage (compared to stock ECU, same route, etc). I'll try to post exact numbers later.

AGirl

(p.s. Yo, Warchild, where ya at?)

Once again, this thread need a photo (assuming this is the appropriate thread)! So, here's mine:

Fireworks for the FJR's new ECU since I made it to 7,200 feet! :clapping: However, despite 2,000 miles on the new ECU, I'm not ready to make any final conclusions since all 2k have been WOT interstate miles. FWIW, since the swap I have seen a definite decrease in gas mileage (compared to stock ECU, same route, etc). I'll try to post exact numbers later.

AGirl

(p.s. Yo, Warchild, where ya at?)

or have you gone from states that use low ehtanol to states that use lots?

Recieved the"letter" too. I regularly commute through Cajon pass and have vin: 0000005, but don't feel the surge. I wonder if I should get it anyways. I don't want it if it makes my bike slower :)

If all you have to do is pop it over a quarter throttle to keep the altitude sensor in tune what is the problem? I am always over a quarter throttle!

An FJR should always be over 1\4 throttle------------

Recieved the"letter" too. I regularly commute through Cajon pass and have vin: 0000005, but don't feel the surge. I wonder if I should get it anyways. I don't want it if it makes my bike slower :)
I got the surge riding from Victorville up to Wrightwood. It only gets annoying in the curves. You might try the technique from the excerpt posted here. After climbing to the summit, fall back a little (if safe in I15 traffic) and at low rpm, open the throttle to about 3/4 and hold for a few seconds. This should force a new reading and clear up the surge. While experimenting with this technique, I could tell that I had been getting a little hesitation but only after it cleared up. Just try very light acceleration and pay attention to the response both before and after you try clearing it up. See if you notice the difference. If not, then you have an excuse to go up to Johnsonville.

...It only gets annoying dangerous in the curves...
Fixed it for ya.

If you have to go through all that just to have a decent day's ride, why not just get the new ECU (on Yamaha's dime) and enjoy the ride instead of worrying about keeping one step ahead of the ECU..?

Got mine replaced a few days ago, no worries. Then again, if you prefer the mental gymnastics of always trying to stay one step ahead of the ECU, well more power to ya. Different strokes I guess, but I can't see a good reason not to get the new ECU.

Mine is on the list but I have not receved the letter form Yamaha.

Normal to take this long?

Letter came yesterday that there was a recall on ECU because some owners were having trouble with performance in the mountains.

They said FJR's have an "Automatic Altitude-Compensaton feature" that kicks in above 3000 feet however the rider "Must" use over 1/4 turn of the throttle for this to occur or turn off and then back on the ignition. So those who ride very casually (who would) in the mountain will not allow the ECU to change the fuel misture and thus poor performance.

I ride at 7000+ feet some and have not had a problem. Yamaha will replace "all" ECU's however asked that owners who ride over 3000 ft get theirs first.

My question is --- how many of you are going to get the "new" ECU.? I called my dealer and he had not heard of the recall. The letter sounds like the only change the "new" ECU will have is that it will change the fuel injustion with only 1/8th turn of the throttle.

If this is the only "help" will it be worth the bother --- OR will they make some other "upgrades" to the ECU that will make things better.

My bike runs fine now so I don't know if I will have it changed.

If all you have to do is pop it over a quarter throttle to keep the altitude sensor in tune what is the problem? I am always over a quarter throttle!An FJR should always be over 1\4 throttle------------

Well, there are times when this is not true. What about in rain, or high winds, or following a grey hair and not having a good oportunity to pass? Or running behind a group of BMW's like at WFO-6. Anybody remember that?

I got my "letter" today, called my dealer, gave him the info and they are going to check it out when the service manager gets in on Tuesday.

I get to check out the 1/4 throttle change 'fix' tomorrow on a run over to Hanna for lunch. (A few attendees to WFO know the restaurant)

The challenge will be the 1/4 throttle limit for 3000 feet vertical. B)

The guy I'm riding with has a K12S. :rolleyes:

Got my letter today (Saturday) here in NC. I had already tallked with the dealer's Service Manager and have scheduled the replacement service. It really helped to go in and give them the referencs number! Thanks to all who helped get this identified and acted on (or is it re-acted on? :p ) by Yamaha!

As far as whether to have the ECU replaced or not, mine has acted badly on the Blue Ridge a couple of times. One time in light rain with low RPMs (really don't want to open the throttle 1/4 in that situation, imagine that!). I figure it may be important when I go to sell this thing and would hate to lose a sale because it had the original ECU.

Bob

I received THE LETTER from Yamaha today - Oct. 27 - via U.S. Mail. Get in line! Phil