FJRF004: The 2006/7 Altitude Fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, concur..... should be a good Dogpile day. Lots of fodder this week. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ok

STOOPID is poping his head up (a little)

my vin (06) 15E****668

Seems to fall to the range of the aflicted ECUs

I have been to 2 EOMs and those are the most mountainous regions I've traveled. I have not noticed this "surging".

I guess I don't ride at "steady speeds" with an altitude change.

Do I fix what aint broke? Risk getting screwed in the mountains at NAFO?

I can't say I actually bought my '05 because of this forum, though I did read it prior to purchase....

Having said that, this forum is such a resource that it's almost an added feature of owning an FJR!

You guys are the best and I'd like to meet Truwrecks, Iggy and especially Warchild at one of the get togethers....

You guys nailed down the problems and symptoms and Yamaha actually stepped up to the plate. This should go down as one of the best resolutions of a user-discovered problem by a motorcycle complany.

I think it's like the TPS. Many are in the range, but don't have a problem and never change it. Even if it does start it doesn't seem like something that's going to strand you. If it bothers you enough...change it. If it doesn't....don't.

I have been to 2 EOMs and those are the most mountainous regions I've traveled. I have not noticed this "surging".I guess I don't ride at "steady speeds" with an altitude change.

Yes.

For one reason, you don't want to risk your NAFO adventure on gambling it will continue to work properly in the Rockies.

Too, suppose there is a future owner someday? (I'm just saying...) Suppose this new owner takes the bike to the mountains routinely?

That having been said.....

I also think that since AS isn't a problem for you currently, it seems you have the option of waiting a few months before getting yours replaced. This would certainly help those mountain-dwellers who are badly affected get a shot at the pipeline first.

I have a question regarding the VIN numbers.

I am in the UK with an '07 bike which I purchased in July. It was new off the boat - hadn't been standing around in the shop or anything. The Vin number starts with JYARP131 and ends with 7721. This seems to be well outside any range that is mentioned in the bulletin - but above, someone said that ALL '07's were affected.

So, where do I stand?

Thanks for any answers

Alan

I am in the UK with an '07 bike which I purchased in July. It was new off the boat - hadn't been standing around in the shop or anything. The Vin number starts with JYARP131 and ends with 7721. This seems to be well outside any range that is mentioned in the bulletin - but above, someone said that ALL '07's were affected.

So, where do I stand?

Thanks for any answers

Alan
Alan,

My guess is this letter is from Yamaha of the US and make ref to the US vin #s.

I would suspect thet Yam of UK or Europe will be putting out a letter with appropriate vins for that market. Although it is possible that UK mods have a diff ECU than the US. Do you surge?

We have one rider who definitely does (Ian) and one who may (me - it did it in the Pyrnees but I wacked the throttle wide open as soon as I felt anything so I sort of got around it).

Thanks for the info

Alan

So, where do I stand?
Alan, do note that the excerpt does state the list is an approx range of bikes affected:

Too, it's always possible that this VIN list is North American-specific, and that Yamaha UK will (speculating here) publish a Bulletin of their own on this matter.

As barking-mad as you Brits are about bikes, I'm surprised you don't have someone in the British FJR community with contacts deep within Yamaha UK headquarters (equivalent to our Cypress) who can feed you the critical info....
shrug.gif

So, where do I stand?
Alan, do note that the excerpt does state the list is an approx range of bikes affected:

Too, it's always possible that this VIN list is North American-specific, and that Yamaha UK will (speculating here) publish a Bulletin of their own on this matter.

As barking-mad as you Brits are about bikes, I'm surprised you don't have someone in the British FJR community with contacts deep within Yamaha UK headquarters (equivalent to our Cypress) who can feed you the critical info....
shrug.gif
I didn't see anywhere on the tech bulletin (I got a copy of the real thing) where it says "approx". But I can well believe that the VIN numbers are USA based.

As to contacts - personally, I have never needed one before now. I'm on my 4th FJR and this is the first time anything has happened like this. I have told me dealer the entire story and he is going to contact Yamaha UK and see what happens. I am sure they know - Ian has had his fixed.

Alan

I didn't see anywhere on the tech bulletin (I got a copy of the real thing) where it says "approx".
Really? Is it a Yamaha UK Bulletin? Because our's does say "approx"... on the real thing, too.

It says exactly this, word for word:

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

Approx range of bikes affected:

FJR1300AV/AW RP15E-0000003 ~ 0004056

FJR1300AVC/AWC RP15Y-0000001 ~ 0000744

FJR1300AEV/AEW RP16E-0000006 ~ 0001212

FJR1300AEVC/AEWC RP16Y-0000005 ~ 0000226

Again, this may or may not be NA-specific VINs. It would make sense (logistically) that they would be NA-specific, but we don't really know.

I didn't see anywhere on the tech bulletin (I got a copy of the real thing) where it says "approx".
Really? Is it a Yamaha UK Bulletin? Because our's does say "approx"... on the real thing, too.

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

Off topic, but can you read into those VINs how many bikes were sold in US, elsewhere, and which were autos versus with clutches, or do they not use all VIN numbers in the range?

Kurt

They use the numbers in sequence, so you now know exactly how many '06s were built for the US market and just how poor AE sales were.

I assume (a dangerous thing) that the '07 numbers are not 'whole year' and that there may have been additional units built after they implemented 'the fix'.

I also wonder if the fix will also be implemented in foreign (Canadian and rest-of-world) models.

I spoke with my Dealer in Tallahassee and he has put me on the list. Thanks again to everyone that made this possible. Of course I'm at or on some occasion above sea level. I made it clear that I was in no rush to have this work completed. My Dealer says mine will be the second they will do.

Sweet. I'd been getting stonewalled by the two closest dealers since this thing began. I started calling/emailing dealers farther away saying that I wanted to get in line for the new ECUs (before the bulletin came out). One dealer up north called the day the TSB came out and called again today to say he had the ECU:

"I'm surprised to be calling so soon but it's here. Why don't you pick a time when we can put it in for you?"

"What are you doing right now? I can be there in 30 minutes."

A half hour later they handed me the unit and let me put it in myself in the parking lot (I'd rather not mention the dealer for that reason - I don't want to get them in trouble). I won't say I did it in 18 minutes but it wasn't very much longer. Now who do you think is going to get my business the next time I need help from a dealer?

It's 70 degrees today in Salt Lake and it's supposed to rain and snow over the weekend. Can you imagine how difficult it was for me to come back to work!?! I'll report back when I can get it up the canyons. Wait, that didn't come out right...

This is a great forum!

After reading most of the posts, I figure I will not have to worry about having the ECU changed on my bike for awhile. I have not noticed the surge problem. I should be able to wait for Yamaha to send the letter about the problem and get it changed when I return from Baghdad next year?

Does that sound right? There should not be any time limit?

I plan having it changed regardless just wondering about timimg?

Well after much trial and tribulation. My new ECU is on its way. I am glad this is finally going to be over after dealing with this issue since May of 2006. Thanks to everyone who stuck a hot poker up this problems ass. Also thanks to PCP Motorsports service department. They haven’t done me wrong yet. :yahoo: :clapping:

On Saturday 10/06, I stopped by my dealer and ask if they were familiar with the AS problem and a Tech Bulletin soon to come out with the fix and new ECU.

The service manager stated that he knew of a lot internet hysteria that was going around, but that he knew nothing about a bulletin or fix.

I told him that I had learned of the issue through the internet, had not experienced any problems myself, but felt that the issues that had been presented by

others were genuine and a real safety issue.

I further commented that I was in no hurry, but if such a bulletin did come out that at some point I would like to get my ECU replaced as I do enjoy riding at higher elevations, and would have many future opportunities to do so. The manager took my name and phone number and advised that if such a bulletin came out that he would give me a call. I figured that was the last I would hear from him.

On 10/18, the day after the bulletin was announced on the internet, I received a call from the manager advising that they had received the bulletin and that he had ordered the new ECU for my bike.

Today, 10/19, the service manager called again advising that the part was in and that I needed to make an appointment for the install. I commented that they had only ordered the part yesterday, how could it be available already. He said that it only had to come from a local warehouse here in Atlanta.

So apparently these are in fairly mass production now. Again I told him that I was in no hurry and would forgo the part for someone in more need, he advised that there were more where that one came from and that I was the only customer that had made a request at their dealership and that this one had my name on it.

Thanks to everyone who made this possible. It seems like those that fought this issue for so long should not have a problem getting the fix made to their bike.

They use the numbers in sequence, so you now know exactly how many '06s were built for the US market and just how poor AE sales were.
I assume (a dangerous thing) that the '07 numbers are not 'whole year' and that there may have been additional units built after they implemented 'the fix'.

I also wonder if the fix will alse be implemented in foreign (Canadian and rest-of-world) models.
Bram., Yamaha Canada is in the process "of editing a bulletin to our dealerships. We will make available a new ECU. Please make arrangements to have this installed at your dealership once you receive this letter." That is the gist of the response I got after contacting them thru their website, the problem I am having with my `07, in the mountains (which there are alot of around here). I am especially pleased with their response time...less than 24 hrs! Yamaha Canada---your awesome! :clapping:

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

Again, this may or may not be NA-specific VINs. It would make sense (logistically) that they would be NA-specific, but we don't really know.
Weird. I downloaded the bulletin as a PDF from a link on this forum. It says

"Affected Range"