FJRF004: The 2006/7 Altitude Fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my letter yesterday had my new ecu installed today. I am going to take it up past 7000 ft tomorow on Hwy 88 past carson pass. I will post tomorow night to let you all know how it went. :yahoo:

Got the letter and the ECU yesterday. Dealer never called me, so I went in. The mechanic sent out a flunky saying he didn't have time for it and I brought the ECU home. How hard is this thing to install if I have little mechanical skill? I was able to do the Barbarian with Kaitsdad's assistance, if that gives you an idea. I have the service manual. Do I need to reverse the Barbarian mod? Suggestions appreciated.

shiny., it`s plug and play. Some plastic has to come off to get to it. Also, if u have the ignition immobilizer system (the 07`s up here in canuckland do), you will have to "reregister" the keys to the ECU otherwise, it won`t start. :assassin:

Got the letter from Yamaha yesterday. A bit confused here , as my vin is ---RP15E0000396 , not an RP15Y...so I assumed I was not on the list. I have not had one problem with the bike and I always am hesitant to have the Dealer touch it, even if they seem to be fairly competent. I still have the 17mpg problem and just don't care about that, but I can see myself at somepoint changing altitude. So am I reading the bulletin correctly and my bike does not need the new ECU?

KM

Reading comprehension is key.
Go back to the original post and linked summary or this post. RP15E is on the list.

Comprehension was fine...just a long 18 hour day and dirty glasses and I missed it. Granted I did not read through all 6 pages of posts, and for that I should be whipped...but , thank you for pointing out my fumble, and thank you for the info.

KM

I never got a letter (nor will I as I am the second owner). I stopped at the dealer on the day after this original thread was started. My ECU came in last Tuesday but I won't get a chance to take the bike in until Wednesday. They will do it while I wait first thing in the morning and then I will be on my way.

GP Sports in San Jose. I've had good experiences with their shop although they don't clean the parts they work on after they work (returned my honda filthy). I just thought that if you have it apart, take pride in your work and clean it.

Also, they want $250 for a 4K service on the FJR. I did that myself today.

Will post up after new ECU.

Well-

Got back from the ride-

Stopped at the top of Wolf creek pass (9485') and turned the key off to reset, then descended down to Hanna, UT elevation 6765'. I kept a mellow throttle and felt no 'symptoms' untill Hanna. In the 'town' on the flats, I lightly rolled off the throttle to slow then rolled on. There was no response, like the kill switch was thrown. Then, I had power in a quick snap. Not full throttle, just what I had rolled on.

My bike has the problem! :glare:

I got my "letter" today, called my dealer, gave him the info and they are going to check it out when the service manager gets in on Tuesday. I get to check out the 1/4 throttle change 'fix' tomorrow on a run over to Hanna for lunch. (A few attendees to WFO know the restaurant)

The challenge will be the 1/4 throttle limit for 3000 feet vertical. B)

The guy I'm riding with has a K12S. :rolleyes:

well just got back. I went over 6000 ft not a single problem looks like the new ecu did the trick.

Got my new ECU installed Friday. Got home to find the letter from Yamaha :blink: Took the bike on a decent mountain ride today and it wasn't running quite right. I stopped and kicked the CO up by 4 across the board (where it was before the new ECU) and all is right with the world again :clapping: I'll have to reserve final judgement for now, but as of yet, I'm happy B)

well just got back. I went over 6000 ft not a single problem looks like the new ecu did the trick.
co425, just curious if your gas milage has decreased since the new ECU was installed? Still waiting for a call from my dealer to bring the bike in for the install. Congratulations on the fix! PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
co425, just curious if your gas milage has decreased since the new ECU was installed? Still waiting for a call from my dealer to bring the bike in for the install. Congratulations on the fix! PM. <>< :D
Havent noticed a real change will post when I get through a full tank by the end of the week.

If all you have to do is pop it over a quarter throttle to keep the altitude sensor in tune what is the problem? I am always over a quarter throttle!An FJR should always be over 1\4 throttle------------

I did multiple tests in moderate altitude (1000-3000), and the 1/4 throttle thing did NOT reset the ECU (I even went near max throttle a few times)... still had to power off and on again to get things working right. So there was likely a defect in that scenario that needed to be fixed.

BTW - Germany is finally onboard. The dealer has the ECUs in and mine is being installed today.

I never got a letter (nor will I as I am the second owner).
You've just given the best reason for calling Yamaha customer service and registering your VIN with them. No cost. What if you hadn't had access to this group?

Did the dealer (or whomever changed your ECU) set the CO settings? YOU'LL NEED TO DO THE BARBARIAN MOD IF YOU ARE CHANGING THE ECU YOURSELF.

shiny., it`s plug and play. Some plastic has to come off to get to it. Also, if u have the ignition immobilizer system (the 07`s up here in canuckland do), you will have to "reregister" the keys to the ECU otherwise, it won`t start. :assassin:
Actually, '06 and up. And I believe that all '06+ FJRs have the immobiliser except those sold in the USA. Canada is too small a merget to justify anything specific to the country-model (except, of course the lack of the bag liners).

Did your '07 come with heated grips standard? THAT was a change for '07.

You don't have to call customer service to change the warranty info, your favorite dealer does it but you must take the FJR in so they can look at it. Just did it myself, painless. Takes about 20-30 minutes.

Did the dealer (or whomever changed your ECU) set the CO settings? YOU'LL NEED TO DO THE BARBARIAN MOD IF YOU ARE CHANGING THE ECU YOURSELF.
As in the quote above, I haven't had the ECU changed yet. Dealers are not suppose to give out ECU's new or old according to Yamaha. And never did the Barbarian Mod. or felt the need to. PM. <>< :D

Letter showed up Saturday, 27 Oct also. My dealer called me the same day - not because of the letter - I call him a few days earlier. He ordered the new ECU - it's come in already and I'm bringing my bike in Tuesday afternoon for the install.

Herkypilot

I've got an 06 with 23k on the clock and have not had the altitude issue, although the highest I've been is 5000+ on the blue ridge. Did the problem surface at this altitude or lower? Should I switch the ECU out per Yamaha or leave it alone? Note: I am riding cross country next spring.

Latest posts