For All You Dirty DS Minded FJR Riders On This Forum!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.pbase.com/pzo/urique DingusKhan and ShinyPartsUp: Here are some pretty good shots of road down to Urique.

As you can tell, since a Nissan van made it, BMW R1200GS with a putz like me on it could easily ride this dirt gravel section.

But it is the roads past Batopilas and Urique that turn into hammered shit; and then they get worse from there. I can't wait!!

https://www.motodiscovery.com/tours/middleeast/caravan.html Shiney, now that I have you junkie hooked on adventure expedition touring: Check out Barak Naggan's video of riding Israel and Egypt. Barak is my Moto-Discovery buddy that Brian and I rode to Real de Catorce with. Barak will also be leading our Copper Canyon trek, he's ex Israeli army officer.
AWESOME!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I'm not sure what else to say. I can't believe he'll be leading our trip, talk about feeling safer and excited! I'll have to watch out for his documentary of Barak's Egypt adventure on National Geographic.

Aside: As a kid I used to walk the few miles from Brighton into downtown Boston to the Museum of Fine Arts and spend many a Saturday roaming their large and excellent archeological exhibits. My first love was Egyptology. That clip brought back memories of those days studying the artifacts. Thanks.

https://bckgs.blogspot.com/ Here is a ride report, of which our route through Copper Canyon is a part of, by my Canadian friends Brian, Conchita and Dan. Shiny, if you are ready for this: Brian and Conchita were two-up on a BMW R1200GS and Dan was on a KTM 950S Adventure. These wild and crazy Canuckistans rode this gnarly trek on 550 pound motorcycles!!!
3rd of the way into pics you'll see Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina" and the rest of the "CC" crew at El Divisadero outlook.

Crazy! But good reading. You looked happy in the photo Don :)

This caption caught my eye:

"After more than 20 years of riding with only one flat tire, the road from Copper Canyon to Choix did it to us again. 250 km of twisting gravel took us over 10 hours to ride."

Thanks for all the links to pics of Copper Canyon, the ride down and the ride to the Sea of Cortes. Looks awesome. Gonna be a ride to remember!

Been riding a bit on dirt and gravel up and down the hills around here, and some on rain slicked logging roads. Trying to keep a good clip to get some experience. Haven't dumped la poderosa diabla yet, but some pucker events a dozen times. Switchbacks down lousy dirt/gravel are interesting.

Did some figurin' and it looks like 6 weekends of OT/on-call or 5 weeks on-call beyond what I usually do should pay for the tour and rental. A hassle, but doable. I am sooooo psyched!

Fence sitters, aren't your riding juices boilin'? Check out some of the links above and hope you can figure out a way to come. Don -- is SkooterG coming you think?

https://bckgs.blogspot.com/ Here is a ride report, of which our route through Copper Canyon is a part of, by my Canadian friends Brian, Conchita and Dan. Shiny, if you are ready for this: Brian and Conchita were two-up on a BMW R1200GS and Dan was on a KTM 950S Adventure. These wild and crazy Canuckistans rode this gnarly trek on 550 pound motorcycles!!!
3rd of the way into pics you'll see Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina" and the rest of the "CC" crew at El Divisadero outlook.

Crazy! But good reading. You looked happy in the photo Don :)

This caption caught my eye:

"After more than 20 years of riding with only one flat tire, the road from Copper Canyon to Choix did it to us again. 250 km of twisting gravel took us over 10 hours to ride."
I was indeed very happy in that photo, Shiny! Mas caminos y mas amigos! Great dirt roads and great new/old M/C friends!!

Here's just how crazy the caption is: That 250 km from bottom of Copper Canyon to Choix, whether it's Urique or Batopilas, is one of roughest stretches that You, I and the rest of our November 2010 Krewe will endure. Skip and Barak are actually going to break up that 250 km over 2 days for us. The fact that my Wild, Whacky, Wooly Canadian friends rode that in 10+ hours is an incredible testimonial to their riding skills. Not for us, Gunga Din! Brian, Conchita and Dan are something else!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump Reminder! If you wanted to ride extensive off road dirt in Mexico's Copper Canyon November 2010 with ShinyPartsUp, El Jefe Brian and Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina" and save $200 in the process: You need to get your $400 deposit into Skip Mascorro of Moto-Discovery by this Saturday, October 31. This was a very generous offer from Skip made only to members of the FJR Forum. Will reduce price of your expedition to $2,795 from regular trip price of $2,995.

Mike, Brian and I are going to use our saved $200 to help out poor, but stacked, bar maids in cantinas throughout Mexico!!!

Bump Reminder! If you wanted to ride extensive off road dirt in Mexico's Copper Canyon November 2010 with ShinyPartsUp, El Jefe Brian and Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina" and save $200 in the process: You need to get your $400 deposit into Skip Mascorro of Moto-Discovery by this Saturday, October 31. This was a very generous offer from Skip made only to members of the FJR Forum. Will reduce price of your expedition to $2,795 from regular trip price of $2,995.
Mike, Brian and I are going to use our saved $200 to help out poor, but stacked, bar maids in cantinas throughout Mexico!!!
Why limit yourself el jefe? :)

When I'm old I'll be able to tell my grandchildren all about (some of) my adventure in the wilds of Mexico on a motorcycle.... doesn't get much better than that. I hope others take up the challenge.

I knew there was a reason I haven't been on the forum lately :mellow: Darn it Don, I'm trying to maintain my current crusade to pay off all my bills by the end of next year.. :eek: .

As Shiney said, I too have been riding my 990 as much as possible to gain experience riding off road. I have gotten a lot better since last December, :rolleyes: but still have a lot to learn. I hope I would have enough experience for a trip like this.

A couple of questions, did you find a place to store the motorcycles in El Paso while on the trip? If I can pull this off, I'm wondering if I should buy a bike and haul it down with my truck, just so I have some experience with it before the trip. However maybe it would be best to go with one of their worry free rentals instead. What do you think? That would be a nightmare if I had trouble with my bike and had to go back at the end of the trip to retrieve my bike from the indians. OK and finally how do I convince my wife of all this? :unsure: :blink:

One other quick question, would we need sleeping bags or any other kind of camping stuff?

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=116905&hl= Good Morning Chris_D, I was hoping that you would check in with ShinyPartsUp and I regarding this Copper Canyon to Sea of Cortez Expedition; this is right up your KTM alley.

In the photos offered in the link above you can see Moto-Discovery secured a hotel in McAllen with enclosed parking garage.

I'm sure that Skip and Barak will have also provided for secure storage for our bikes in Tejas. Both Mike SPU y Papa Chuy intend at this time to just rent our Suzuki DR650's from Moto-Discovery. Brian "El Jefe" Boles is going to trailer his KTM 525, just barely street legal here in Arizona, behind his pickup truck. El Jefe's Mom and Dad live in El Paso; will park there.

ShinyPartsUp and I'll ride our FJR's from Chandler to Rio Grande, Mike spending prior night at mi casa in Chandler, Arizona.

You do not need sleeping bags! Accomodations are shown also in the photo links above. Skip and Nancy Mascorro do a great job of providing fine accomodations for we biker types. Will be rather rustic when down in the Copper Canyon itself!!

Footnote: On a weekly basis, I have been checking out Cycle Trader looking for a used, but in excellent condition, Suzuki DRZ 400E for sale in the $2K+- range. So far, no luck; but if I could score a nice Suzi 400 with a 4 gallon tank; I'd buy it.

If you were to pick up a used 400, 525 or 650 of any persuasion, don't worry about retrieving it if you "wipe out" on the trail!

That's why BrianB, MikeM and I are going with Moto-Discovery on this one. BB and I've looked at doing this Batopilas to El Fuerte and Alamos to Urique expedition for over a decade now. But we were always fearful of "crapping out" in the boonies!

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=640.0 Chris_D: In Reply #8 you can see Brian and Melanie Boles, Senor Martin Osete our Amigo from Hermosillo, Sonora standing on the porch of the Las Minas Restaurant at the bottom of Copper Canyon in Batopilas. The two story building behind it, with the refrigerator on the porch, is the Las Minas "the Miners" Hotel.

Somewhat rustic, but very clean, neat and tidy - staff is very friendly and courteous; la comida "the food" is utterly fantastic!

Check out picture of breakfast in Reply #9. Fully Los Robustos M/C approved! Everything Las Minas cooks is mucho bueno!

Las Minas and El Divisadero Lodge, located on the edge of the highest canyon, are same lodgings that Moto-Discovery uses.

In Reply #7 is a Cantina located between La Bufa and Cerocahui that Papa ChuyM intends to buy as his retirement business.

It is the building at the edge of Rio Urique marked by the Tecate sign out front. When my Son Seth (12) and I go to the Canadian FJR Rally 2010 in Mont-Tremblant in Quebec I intend to ask Mary Ellen, Kasey and Barb if they want to be Del La Cantina Papa Chuy's waitresses. When I see Old Michael at Death Valley Daze I am going to ask if he would consider being my Bartender. Seth will be the Bus Boy, ShinyPartsUp will be Dishwasher; dcarver, RadioHowie and I will do the cooking!!!

Sorry Don. I don't do dishes or windows. It is below my station; however, I will consider being concierge and gigolo for the female guests. :p :p :p

I didn't know I was staying at your house the night before take-off Don. Thanks for the invite. I didn't know we scored parking either. Good going burrito ballerina!

Chris, I hope you make it. Tell the wife it is a matter of safety. You need the experience off-road with friends to become a better rider to avoid accidents both on and off-road. "Honey, I'd hate to not improve my skills and have an accident...." Pout just a little when you say this and no smirking. It has a chance of working....

Thanks for all the info, boy it looks like it will be lots of fun. Mike you are scaring me with the gigolo thing! :lol:

Great so there's covered parking at hotel for when we are gone?

Don you mentioned: "If you were to pick up a used 400, 525 or 650 of any persuasion, don't worry about retrieving it if you "wipe out" on the trail!

That's why BrianB, MikeM and I are going with Moto-Discovery on this one. BB and I've looked at doing this Batopilas to El Fuerte and Alamos to Urique expedition for over a decade now. But we were always fearful of "crapping out" in the boonies!"

In other words "Moto-Discovery" will take care of your bike (haul it out) if something where to happen?

I do think everything is starting to fall in place, I have the Wife convince, which luckly for me her mother has a house in AZ near Tucson. The current plan is for me to go on the Mexico trip then after meet up with the Wife, mother and B-friend at their house to spend Thankgiving. I'm sure there's lot of good DS riding in AZ too, Don?. This plan will give me over week to explore the great state of AZ riding on a DS.

So if this works out I will most likely be taking my truck, which means there's plenty of room for a bike in the back. :blink: Soooo I been thinking and eyeing the KTM 690 Enduro or maybe a Husky TE 610 (damn my eyes :rolleyes: ). I know this wouldn't be the smart way to go, but hopefully Dave Ramsey will forgive me :lol: . Honestly, I just don't know what to do, yet Argggg! :)

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=1762.0 Buenos dias, Chris_D. Here are some more pictures of Brian "El Jefe" Boles and I riding offroad bikes in Mexico, this was the Ride to Real Catorce and Santiago we rode together last April.

Yesterday I mailed off an hour long video presentation of Real trek to ShinyPartsUp, film was shot by amigo Barak Naggan; who'll also be our Tour Guide on Copper Canyon Ride-Creel to Los Mochis, Culiacan, Mexico; MM will forward DVD to you.

1) Si, anything happens to your bike: Moto-Discovery will get it back to your departure point of origin. For example, AZ Beemers Member Clint Alston, he'll be at FJR Forum Death Valley Daze 2010, fractured a rim on his BMW R1200RT on the road from Mazatlan to Durango by hitting a pothole. Clint and his Beemer were transported back to Tucson in support truck.

2) I might as well mention this now, since we are all adults and fully realize that operating motos does have its safety risks.

AZ Beemers Member Levi crashed his BMW R100GS at bottom of Copper Canyon in February 2007 and broke his right collarbone. Levi and his GS were loaded into the support truck; Levi was driven to Chihuahua where he received medical treatment. He had purchased the Med-Ex insurance, which I highly recommend, and was offered the option of being flown back to Phoenix. Levi did not want to miss out being with his AZ Beemers buddies, so he and his GS then rode in the truck.

3) You can't go wrong with either a KTM 690 Enduro or a Husqvarna TE 610; both machines are fantastic and perfect for CC!

Do you mind taking some advice from your Old Irish Mutha-Papa Chuy? Buy these machines used, don't buy them as new!

Take my word for it, somewhere on this trek you'll drop your bike; I have been there, done that and have the damn T-shirt!

4) Si, Amigo: There's plenty of great off road riding in Arizona. I would be happy to be your tour guide for a week after CC!

5) As my hero Steve McQueen always said: Any motorcycle ride you don't take, is one you don't make. RIP Amigo SteveM!

I turn 61 this Wednesday, 10/28; so my motorcycle riding clock is ticking. I need to do this gnarly trek before I go "tits up"!