For All You Dirty DS Minded FJR Riders On This Forum!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just got off the phone with Skip, and I in.

Had some questions about my back and I think all is going

to be OK.

Can't wait

Joe

Well, I just got off the phone with Skip, and I in.Had some questions about my back and I think all is going

to be OK.

Can't wait

Joe
Great Work, Joe! Glad to have you aboard for Copper Canyon Expedition, you will be a great asset to the FJR Forum Team!

Atencion: Do not miss the motorcycle trip of a lifetime! The Copper Canyon will be tamed in another decade or two and the native cultures will be assimilated into mainstream Mexico. If you ever wanted to ride where scenic landscape is wild and open; and get to meet and mingle with the Tarahumara Indians who are still living at The Dawn of Time: Don't miss this trip!

Here is the roster from our Forum, let's make this trip consist of our FJR Brethren: ShinyPartsUp, Joe of Tucson, Brian "El Jefe" Boles, Chris_D and Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"! If you have any questions, please call Chuy at 480-917-3863.

My Los Robustos belly and man-boobs were jiggling as I danced at work this morning when I found out...
Sometimes I wish I couldn't read.
Yeah OM, Shiney might be a partially sick puppy hisself?

Sheeze, I should talk. :eek:

Zip... ]]]]]]]]]]o-o
I just saw this post and old man miguel's. Having met both of you while using my wiley psychiatric interview techniques, I can confirm you are both great but sick fookers! :lol:

I've got an "07 KLR, should do OK

I just hope I do OK

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an "07 KLR, should do OKI just hope I do OK

Joe
I'm sure you'll be fine. I'll be the rookie in the bunch. I guarantee nobody will have less experience and seat time than me, though I'm working on it. If it was cost effective I'd swap fork internals and rear shock and take my '09 KLR for the ride. Don't think I'd have an ass left after riding from and to Oregon on that stock seat.

I think you should think about the KLR for the trip for sure. Put some D606 tires, intiminator fork internals and a Moab shock on the baby, do the 'doo, the thermo-bob and T-Bob changes, and you could go around the world. If there was any money left over I'd suggest a seat though... ;-)

This is really shaping up to be a grat trip!
I agree with you 100% Shiny, we do have some really good guys signed up for a really great trip! Guys, I'm probably preaching to the choir here and you 4 are probably already two steps ahead of me: Get radiator guards for your water cooled KLR's and KTM's! I went to Real de Catorce in Central Mexico without a radiator guard on Salma Hayek, 2009 BMW F650GS Twin, and I constantly worried about holing her radiator with rocks or sticks going through the radiator in the brush!

I went to https://www.touratech-usa.com and ordered Part Number: 048-0135. Pricey at $136, but worth the peace of mind!!

Shiny, I have a tire question for you. In a number of posts you have mentioned the Dunlop 606 knobbies. Have you put a lot of miles on the 606's and do you feel that the 606's are a much better knobbie tire than the other manufacturers sell??

Down here in Central Arizona, everybody and his dog is running the Continental TKC-80 knobbies on their dual sport bikes.

But I like Dunlop tires, my Harley-Davidson's (have owned H-D continuously since August of 1970) has always run Dunlops.

Ironically, since Metzeler (on my GS's) is made in Germany, all of my BMW RT's have left the factory mounted with Dunlops.

So, what makes the 606's better than the TKC-80's? If they're priced comparable, I would definitely consider going Dunlop!!

Sierra Tarahumara-Barrancas del Cobre, by International Map Company, 1004 Cerro Azul Drive, El Paso, Texas 79902-1301

ISBN# 0-9377455-11-3 Cost was $5.95 plus Arizona Tax of $0.48 for total of $6.43. Guys, you have to find this El Mapa at a bookstore near you; I bought my copy from Wide World of Maps in Mesa, AZ. This map has the most detail of Mexico's Copper Canyon that I have ever seen! PLUS, it has twenty-five phrases that are written with a Spanish pronunciation of the Tarahumara language. Tarahumara has always been a verbal language among the Indians, I have never seen it rendered into writing; though, I have heard it spoken many times. Se pronuncia como el Espanol - written to pronounce like Spanish!

For an example, here are just 5 phrases; left to right: English, Spanish and as you would pronounce Tarahumara en Espanol

Where are you going? --- ?Adonde va usted? --- ?Muje cumi simi?

What are you doing? --- ?Que esta haciendo? --- ?Primi ola ati?

The weather is hot! --- Hace mucho calor! --- Hue rata!

Are you hungry? --- ?Tiene usted hambre? --- ?Achami loche?

Sit down. --- Sientese. --- Asaga.

Shiny, I have a tire question for you. In a number of posts you have mentioned the Dunlop 606 knobbies. Have you put a lot of miles on the 606's and do you feel that the 606's are a much better knobbie tire than the other manufacturers sell??
Down here in Central Arizona, everybody and his dog is running the Continental TKC-80 knobbies on their dual sport bikes.

But I like Dunlop tires, my Harley-Davidson's (have owned H-D continuously since August of 1970) has always run Dunlops.

Ironically, since Metzeler (on my GS's) is made in Germany, all of my BMW RT's have left the factory mounted with Dunlops.

So, what makes the 606's better than the TKC-80's? If they're priced comparable, I would definitely consider going Dunlop!!
I have no personal experience yet, but I'm ready to replace my stockers soon. Just based on research. The D606 is considered a 90% off road DOT tire with better than expected on road stickiness. The TKC's supposedly last a little better because of the less aggressive knobbies. The TKC's (supposedly) do better on the street. Also more expensive.

The D606 tires have aggressive off road tread, are supposed to be the absolute best dual-sport tire in mud, loose stuff and sand. It is a bit muddy up here right now, so next paycheck I'm buying a rear tire. Mileage is pretty good from what I hear and most (on a KLR) report 5-8000 miles off a rear tire. They can be a little noisy on the street, but that can be fixed supposedly with tire pressure adjustments. One scary thought is they can chew up rear fenders and license plates (so far I've only read this happening on GEN I KLR's) when run aggressively.

A pair off Motorcycle Superstore go for about $140, making price per mile attractive.

Your mileage will vary.

I have a question for you Don. The radiator guards I have seen protect from drops and side impacts. My 2009 KLR has a plastic screen over the rad fins. I have Nerf bars on the side, bash plate, and highway bars. I don't see a metal grating to replace the plastic on the web. Are you suggesting I should fab. up a metal mesh to replace the plastic stocker (similar to replacing the plastic bash plate for aluminum)? Or are you suggesting the aftermarket side impact tubing they sell as "rad guards"? Not quite clear on what you mean... TIA

EDIT: I checked out the touratech link and part number you supplied Don. I have not seen anything like that for a KLR, though something made from aluminum grating could be made up with some mounting tabs welded on, to replace the plastic stocker. I'll give that some thought, as I've not thought too much about it but the front of the bike is a little vulnerable there...

Sierra Tarahumara-Barrancas del Cobre, by International Map Company, 1004 Cerro Azul Drive, El Paso, Texas 79902-1301
ISBN# 0-9377455-11-3 Cost was $5.95 plus Arizona Tax of $0.48 for total of $6.43. Guys, you have to find this El Mapa at a bookstore near you; I bought my copy from Wide World of Maps in Mesa, AZ. This map has the most detail of Mexico's Copper Canyon that I have ever seen! PLUS, it has twenty-five phrases that are written with a Spanish pronunciation of the Tarahumara language. Tarahumara has always been a verbal language among the Indians, I have never seen it rendered into writing; though, I have heard it spoken many times. Se pronuncia como el Espanol - written to pronounce like Spanish!

For an example, here are just 5 phrases; left to right: English, Spanish and as you would pronounce Tarahumara en Espanol

Where are you going? --- ?Adonde va usted? --- ?Muje cumi simi?

What are you doing? --- ?Que esta haciendo? --- ?Primi ola ati?

The weather is hot! --- Hace mucho calor! --- Hue rata!

Are you hungry? --- ?Tiene usted hambre? --- ?Achami loche?

Sit down. --- Sientese. --- Asaga.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/093745511...me=&seller=

Don here are pictures of the Conti and Dunlop dual sport tires. The tread pattern may help you decide.

Continentals:

ContiTKC80tires.jpg

Dunlops:

D606front.jpg

D606Rear.jpg

Shiny, thanks for info on the Dunlop 606's! If I decide to take Salma Hayek, instead of renting Suzi, I'm definitely going with the more aggressive 606's over the Contis. Should be bone dry in November, but would need these if we hit rain/mud!

You will definitely need to order the available metal tubing radiator guards if you are going to take La Diabla Poderosa to Copper Canyon, I had them on Mi Mexico Mule II Kawi KLR 650 when I rode him down to Batopilas and also down to Urique.

You have heard me mention my good friend Dave Cooley before, Dave is also a good buddy of SkooterG - Greg Marbach here on the Forum, and he headed up the Plumbing Division of Metro Mechanical; I headed up the Metro Pipe Fitting Division.

Dave took fine metal grating off of an abandoned air handler unit that came back into our shop and fabricated radiator fin guards for my KLR, also fabricated a fin guard for the oil cooler on his 2005 R1200GS; Dave also rode to Copper Canyon.

Very glad you found the map at Amazon and at a cheap price. Chris, BB and Joe: You may want to use the link to get yours!

You will definitely need to order the available metal tubing radiator guards if you are going to take La Diabla Poderosa to Copper Canyon, I had them on Mi Mexico Mule II Kawi KLR 650 when I rode him down to Batopilas and also down to Urique.
You have heard me mention my good friend Dave Cooley before, Dave is also a good buddy of SkooterG - Greg Marbach here on the Forum, and he headed up the Plumbing Division of Metro Mechanical; I headed up the Metro Pipe Fitting Division.

Dave took fine metal grating off of an abandoned air handler unit that came back into our shop and fabricated radiator fin guards for my KLR, also fabricated a fin guard for the oil cooler on his 2005 R1200GS; Dave also rode to Copper Canyon.
Thanks Don,

The Nerf Bars run pretty high up the sides Don. This thread shows the Happy Trails Nerfs on the right side and of course attach to the frame -- good quality and folks report no damage to plastic, let alone hard parts when they went down. A quick search of the net and KLRnet found nothing for fin protectors. I'm going to try ADVrider, then start a thread if I can't find somebody else's solution. The 'pings' I've heard from rocks thrown up at the bash plate and frame are now making me nervous.

La Diabla poderosa makeover

Wow MM, thanks for posting link of your KLR and your family. As much as you and I communicate, I hadn't seen this earlier!
:thumbsup: Yeah, I think I'll keep the rugrats. I've done extensive searching on three websites/forums and no rad fin guards for the '08 and '09 KLR's that I can find. I started a thread but no response as yet. The only fin guard on a GENII KLR was fabbed by the owner.

Thanks for the heads up on the map. I ordered one off Amazon and get it on the 17th.

I did another 75 miles on the KLR on slick/tricky logging roads today. The grades up and down were pretty steep. Fishtailed so severely once, I am shocked I didn't go down. Going up a steep mud road with a few remnant pieces of gravel was interesting -- finally got off and turned the bike around and down. By the end of the ride today I'm finally near the wear bars on the rear tire. I went to the stealership and they wanted $125 for a rear tire. I told them I would pay a bit of a premium over the $70 I found on the internet. The wouldn't go below $115. she offered me a great deal on a pair of stocker Dunlops I got only 1500 miles on. The other guy behind the counter laughed when I said no way. so ...

I'm thinking I'm getting ready for Mexico. A few more thousand miles and I'll feel better. I'm planning a few hundred mile ride in the Spring through and around the Umpqua Forest to Diamond and Crater Lakes via logging/back roads to get ready. Some of the roads are steep enough around here my ears pop.

I'm also SERIOUSLY considering custom boots from Wesco that one of the personal contacts you gave me suggested. Pricey, but they are just up the road and will be custom for only $200 more than high end boots that "may" fit. I really appreciate all your help Don.

Shiny, By Spring do you mean Saturday, March 13 through Monday, March 29 by any chance? Seth is on Quarter System here in the Chandler Unified School District in Arizona. We could be tempted to put knobbies on Salma and place her on a trailer and head up to Roseburg. Seth could play with your children, while DaddyMike and DaddyDon go dual sport riding!!!

Shiny, By Spring do you mean Saturday, March 13 through Monday, March 29 by any chance? Seth is on Quarter System here in the Chandler Unified School District in Arizona. We could be tempted to put knobbies on Salma and place her on a trailer and head up to Roseburg. Seth could play with your children, while DaddyMike and DaddyDon go dual sport riding!!!
Great idea Don, but the timing isn't good. Snow can still be piled up several feet thick at higher elevations in March, and they don't plow national forest trails. And weather is dicey up by Crater and Diamond lakes into May. The North entrance to Crater Lake opens at different times every year depending on when they can get the roads plowed, but usually May. So more rightfully I meant late Spring/early Summer. It was an idea that hasn't jelled yet, but I'll keep you informed. It would be fun having you guys up here. My son would be 13 then.