For All You Dirty DS Minded FJR Riders On This Forum!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well dang I just cant take this any longer!

Question? Honda CRF450X, its got headlight and taillight and I can put a plate on it, past that its not really street legal. Would this be a problem to take on the trip?

Question? Honda CRF450X, its got headlight and taillight and I can put a plate on it, past that its not really street legal. Would this be a problem to take on the trip?
If you can register it in your state, I imagine it would be fine. You don't mention turn signals but I assume that is not an issue. The intial recommendations by the tour operators were for bikes no larger than 650CC and smaller cc/weight was better. I would suggest you email Skip on the site (see the first couple posts for a link) and get an official answer. There is a chase vehicle with supplies, so you don't have to worry about a lot of baggage. This is a rare ride for sure, and it would make it super-special if most/all participants were off this forum. Go for it!

Shiny,

It looks like your KLR is about ready for the trip. Also nice pics of your kids.

The recommended tires I have been told is D606 in the front and D908 for the rear. I currently have a TKC on the rear and I'm about to remove the worn out Scorpion place a D606 on the front.

My bike currently has just about every guard made. :rolleyes: And as much as I hate to say it they been pretty much tested out. Shiny the only thing I can see that you may need and I HIGHLY recommend is a good set of hand guards. The ones I'm talking have the metal bar that goes from the end of the grip around the controls and fasten to the handlebar. The will not only protect your hands from branches etc, but will actually protect your controls in a drop. They are expensive (around $120) but they have save my controls many times.

Shiny,
It looks like your KLR is about ready for the trip. Also nice pics of your kids.

The recommended tires I have been told is D606 in the front and D908 for the rear. I currently have a TKC on the rear and I'm about to remove the worn out Scorpion place a D606 on the front.

My bike currently has just about every guard made. :rolleyes: And as much as I hate to say it they been pretty much tested out. Shiny the only thing I can see that you may need and I HIGHLY recommend is a good set of hand guards. The ones I'm talking have the metal bar that goes from the end of the grip around the controls and fasten to the handlebar. The will not only protect your hands from branches etc, but will actually protect your controls in a drop. They are expensive (around $120) but they have save my controls many times.
Thanks Chris. I'm always open to suggestions. I've never heard of the D908. What are the advantages? I'm ordering a tire Friday (payday) so this is timely.

High on my list are some ascerbis, moose racing or barkbusters; I agree totally.

Also need to pick up a few more hard parts, like replace the rear master cylinder bracket (breaks easy) with one from Eagle Mike, swap the brake pedal and shift levers to stouter versions. The priciest changes are suspension upgrades. I'm torn, but I think I'll get the FJR running top notch instead of the suspension I know I need; I can't do it all and the feej deserves my attention. I'll end up renting a bike for Mexico unless I hit the lottery. I need to get some good boots and riding pants. None of this comes cheap. I just signed up for another extra week of on-call in December. It's killing me but the money will allow a few farkles.

Any suggestions welcome!

EDIT: I researched that tire Chris. A thread on ADVrider indicates D908's are oustanding in mud, sand and rock. But when I checked it only comes in 18 inch rears; the KLR is a bizarre 17 inch rear tire. That explains how I missed hearing about it on the KLR boards. Swapping to an 18 inch rear rim isn't practical for me. The tread is strange in that cross pattern. I can't say I've researched it extensively, but tire life seamed shorter than the D606. What has your experience been?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard, fjrrider! That'd be great if you can join us and your Honda CRF450X will be perfect for this Expedition!!!

If you can get a plate from Estados Unidos, you are good to go! I actually am taking the turn signals off of Salma Hayek, my 2009 BMW F650GS Twin, before this ride begins. When I face planted coming down the goat track from the Old Mission outside of Real de Catorce in Central Mexico last April, the left turn signals were the first things that I broke off of mi moto.

I have a lot to do to my KLR.

First I will get a seat from Russell Day Long.

Have one on the FJR and love it.

Will have to get all the guards as mine is pretty much

stock, but I have hand guards.Thank god we have a year to do this.

Joe

I have a lot to do to my KLR.First I will get a seat from Russell Day Long.

Joe
Hi Joe, I'm thinking of getting a trailer that can haul three dual sports; KLR's and the small GS's. Sure would be nice if we could rendezvous with ShinyPartsUp somewhere half way between Roseburg and Tucson for a weekend of dirt M/C test riding!

While I'm no expert on motor vehicle registration, some states have become pretty sophisticated -- using the power of computers and the information provided by the VIN. In some states, the MVD computer looks-up the VIN and knows if the m/c is EPA/DOT street-legal (or not) -- plate or no-plate.

I don't think Mexico cares? But, you may have a problem getting back in the U.S.? Depending on if you intend to ride it back into the country (maybe hauling and declaring, too?) and the border crossing/state/etc.?

I guess I'd recco that you try to check this out thoroughly beforehand with all the bureaucracies involved... :unsure:

Joe
Hi Joe, I'm thinking of getting a trailer that can haul three dual sports; KLR's and the small GS's. Sure would be nice if we could rendezvous with ShinyPartsUp somewhere half way between Roseburg and Tucson for a weekend of dirt M/C test riding!

I was going to trailer over to El Paso, so this sounds good to me

if I can get the extra time off.

Joe

Joe
I have been dreaming about things like this. I have off from November 1.... I can take my time down to AZ, or at least Southern Cali. If I can get the suspension upgraded I might do it. I wish I could have gotten the last week few days of next November off, but that was not approved. I probably will need to be back home for Thanksgiving too. The ride back from AZ would be the most difficult part I think. But doable. I'll know more in February after I can set a household budget and figure out when I will have serious farkle money and $ to pay for the balance on the tour.

(edited for clarity)

Second Edit: Don and Joe, if this idea works over time, what about sharing the cost of renting a trailer for some AZ off-road fun, and the trip down and back from AZ/Texes? That would limit the trailer expense considerably and only lightly increase the overall trip expense. If we return a trailer in Texas, then pick another rental trailer after the 12 days in Mexico for the return to Arizona, it certainly would not be prohibitive. All I need to ask is we spend a little time looking into the Grand Canyon. I have a deathbed promise to keep to my buddy.

Shiny & Don,

I have a trailer that has held 2 FJR's

I also have an enclosed trailer that held 3 dirt bikes when I

bought it. I might be able to get either one of these to

work. I would like to use the enclosed.

We could put two in forward and one in backwards.

Just a thought.

I also just ordered from Happy Trails

the nerf bars and skid plate.

Just to excited.

Joe

Shiny & Don,I have a trailer that has held 2 FJR's

I also have an enclosed trailer that held 3 dirt bikes when I

bought it. I might be able to get either one of these to

work. I would like to use the enclosed.

We could put two in forward and one in backwards.

Just a thought.

I also just ordered from Happy Trails

the nerf bars and skid plate.

Just to excited.

Joe
Good to hear it Joe! I just installed the HT plate, engine guard/highway pegs and Nerf bars in July. The installation directions suck eggs. There is a good writeup and pictorial on klr650.net with pictures of an install on a GENII bike (written after I installed mine). I'll see if I can find the link for you. If you have questions I can take pictures of my setup, and wrack my brain for hints/tips if you need it. Just ask.

I put on a tool tube and GEMCO travel trunk on the back rack (a Givi knockoff) last week that survived the first test on trails this weekend.

As for the trailer, hope it works out, and thanks for the offer. If the trailer dimensions and trip logistics work out we can talk about expense sharing. I'm supposed to be doing laundry right now, but keep thinking of dirt trails through Mexico...

While I'm no expert on motor vehicle registration, some states have become pretty sophisticated -- using the power of computers and the information provided by the VIN. In some states, the MVD computer looks-up the VIN and knows if the m/c is EPA/DOT street-legal (or not) -- plate or no-plate.I don't think Mexico cares? But, you may have a problem getting back in the U.S.? Depending on if you intend to ride it back into the country (maybe hauling and declaring, too?) and the border crossing/state/etc.?

I guess I'd recco that you try to check this out thoroughly beforehand with all the bureaucracies involved... :unsure:
I see how I was not very clear with my question. No the 450 is not street legal, nor will it ever be. I can put a plate on it from another bike thats registered to me. If Mexico does'nt care, I'm good to go. Full intentions to trailer across the border and then trailer back over. so I guess the question should have been....

Does Mexico care or would they even check, while I'm there, if my bike (450) is US registered and "Street Legal" ?

Shiny, what is the tool tube, the one that goes near the skid plate?

I have Nelson Rigg soft saddle bags and trunk.

I haven't used them yet as I have only had the bike 3 weeks.

So you can see I am a little green.

My other dual sport is a Yamaha TW 200, just a little guy.

Joe

While I'm no expert on motor vehicle registration, some states have become pretty sophisticated -- using the power of computers and the information provided by the VIN. In some states, the MVD computer looks-up the VIN and knows if the m/c is EPA/DOT street-legal (or not) -- plate or no-plate.I don't think Mexico cares? But, you may have a problem getting back in the U.S.? Depending on if you intend to ride it back into the country (maybe hauling and declaring, too?) and the border crossing/state/etc.?

I see how I was not very clear with my question. No the 450 is not street legal, nor will it ever be. I can put a plate on it from another bike thats registered to me. If Mexico does'nt care, I'm good to go. Full intentions to trailer across the border and then trailer back over. so I guess the question should have been....

Does Mexico care or would they even check, while I'm there, if my bike (450) is US registered and "Street Legal" ?
fjrrider: I'd definitely give Skip a call regarding your unique situation: 1-800-233-0564. Yes, the bikes are definitely going onto a trailer in El Paso; and coming back over in a trailer to El Paso. What the sticky wicket is going to be is the Mexico Vehicle Import Permit, affectionately or unaffectionately know as "El Banjercito!" I don't know how the Federales/Policia will respond to your bike being ridden without an Estados Unidos license plate. You can also contact: [email protected]

Shiny, what is the tool tube, the one that goes near the skid plate?I have Nelson Rigg soft saddle bags and trunk.

I haven't used them yet as I have only had the bike 3 weeks.

So you can see I am a little green.

My other dual sport is a Yamaha TW 200, just a little guy.

Joe
I'm a nice shade of avocado myself. First time on a dirt or dualsport bike was late June. I only have 1300 miles on the KLR, and I'm guesstimating only half those are off-tarmac.

Found the link to the install procedure that might help you:

https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.ph...installing+nerf

I'm looking at Aerostitch dry saddlebags, but haven't figured out what I'm going to do yet.

I bought the $5 tractor manual tube that a lot of guys buy for a tool tube. I thought it would be dicey getting it on the HT skidplate with clearance issues (though I'm still mulling it over). It is 4 1/4 inches in diameter. I ended up buying extra long hex bolts to replace two on the rear rack, then wanted to mount the tube to the front of the rack over the stock tool box. My plan went awry when there wasn't enough clearance between the tube and the bolt hole to wrench the tube into place on one side. I ended up using a zip tie to hold that end tight. It isn't great and I hope to figure something else out to secure it. I like the position, but it brings the weight higher up. By the time I take along a compressor, tubes, spoons, sockets, yada, yada, I fill the tube and half the top box. If I do take the KLR to Mexico, maybe we can share one repair kit and split the load/bulk. I think I may get a front fender tool roll, but not sure. The bike is getting heavy. I'll take some pictures of my setup. Some guys have fitted rear metal racks for soft or hard luggage (as well as crash protection) and to keep things off the exhaust: there is space between the bodywork and metal frames to put two tool tubes out back. Guys on klr650.net have posted pics.

Nobody has responded to my radiator fin guard thread on two sites, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to have one fabbed up. When I get to that part of the project, let me know if you want one also. I doubt the expense of two would be much over one. What year KLR do you have? I forget.

I have on '07.

I have the rear rack that act as guards and hold the saddle bags.

Thanks for the link. Would like to see pictures.

Joe

sent e-mail to Skip.

Shiny - I'm a little confused, why would you want to mount side bags and stuff if there is going to be a sweep truck everday?

Dont mean to get in your business, just trying to make sure I'm signing up for the right trip. I assumed this trip was going to be more than just ridin on dirt roads. I was hoping to try my hand at riding a few donkey trails! :D

sent e-mail to Skip.

Shiny - I'm a little confused, why would you want to mount side bags and stuff if there is going to be a sweep truck everday?

Dont mean to get in your business, just trying to make sure I'm signing up for the right trip. I assumed this trip was going to be more than just ridin on dirt roads. I was hoping to try my hand at riding a few donkey trails! :D
You aren't getting in my business -- I keep that off the forum.

If I take the KLR I'd ride it from Oregon to AZ and beyond. I need clean skivvies (I don't like to turn them inside out) and somewhere to carry them. I may be wrong, and Don can clarify (I'd appreciate it), but I don't think the chase vehicle is with you constantly on the donkey trails. I assume some tire changing tools and basics would be needed if a breakdown happens. The bags with my unmentionables ;) would be sent along in the truck, and my diabla poderosa can travel lighter -- all the better. But I'll need some baggage to get home too. This is all kinda new to me as well. This is all kinda "thinking out loud" stuff.

Also, I didn't buy this bike for the Copper Canyon trip. I plan on using the dry bags for a weekend camp or two before then.

As for the trip details, it is spelled out in post #1 if I remember correctly, as well as others, and Don or Skip can help you out. Just tell the tour it is the Don Stanley party in November 2010.

I hope that all makes sense.

sent e-mail to Skip.

fjrrider: On this trip for daily riding, you'll not need side bags or top box. But, I'm bringing a tank bag (you could subsitute a tail pack bag) to carry the following: Tire Repair Kit - this is just my list and with you being a dirt biker already, you probably already have your essentials. Sticky String, black tire cement, reamer tool, insertion tool and some shop rags.

The KLR's and your Honda will have tube tires, so you'll need tire irons: Having started with tubes in 1963, bring three irons.

You will also need an abrasive pad, tube patches and a roller for smoothing out the glue seams after you attach the patch.

I also bring an electric air compressor that plugs into a socket on my BMW and I always bring along a can of Fix-A-Flat.

Since I've a Stop-N-Go plug kit (never been opened) I throw it in tank bag as well. And Cruz Metric Tool Kit for my BMW.

Believe it or not, those Fix-A-Flat aerosol cans have saved the day more than once: Ask SkooterG about our 2004 Baja trip.

I also bring along flashlights, two 500ml bottles of water, duct tape, electrical tape, bailing wire and small bottle of Herradura.

I dress lightly for offroad riding, since I am an old fat guy that sweats a lot, but I also put a warm sweatshirt in the tank bag.

For this trek I am also bringing along a spare clutch lever, spare brake lever and a spare gear shift lever; I recommend this.

My tank bag is 12" x 12" by 10" high and it carries everything I want for a day of trail riding. Everything else is on the truck!