G2 Ergo Throttle Tube and Cam

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EDIT: 9:23 PM - HOLY CRAP !! THIS is what it's SUPPOSED to be like !! Just pulling out of my driveway was different - smooth, predictable, quite an improvement! Makes me want to go visit the parking lot where I did my MSF class - and start practicing the figure 8's ...

Thanks for the tip, DC !!
It does work, huh! If only all farkles had this cost/ease of install/result factor! BTW, you keep Wonky in the living room, next to the computer? If so, you da man!

Wonky lives in the master bedroom..... :huh:

Or do I live in the garage? I'm not sure which it is .... :dribble:

I just happen to have a really old almost a doorstop of a laptop in the garage - on my workbench. Helps when doing stuff on the bike - information access !!

Was some mention in another post about shaping the stock grip assy. to resemble the #400 cam using a hand file or dremil? PM. <>< ;)

Was some mention in another post about shaping the stock grip assy. to resemble the #400 cam using a hand file or dremil? PM. <>< ;)
Yeah.. but the stock unit is plastic or teflon.. the new tube is nice aluminum with x-hatch pattern where the grip fits.. and different cams are available should one want to change the response curve.

Hmm,

the pciii only cured about 90% of the throttle abruptness. I guess there's only so much you can do by remapping the injectors. I didn't feel comfortable messing with the throttle pully, but maybe i can combine this project with some heated grips...

:D

Here is an answer from Sam on grips and throttlemeister.
I have dealt with a guy on the FJR Forum that used a Throttlemeister

and that is why I did not chamfer the end of my tube so that it had a better

service and he is the guy that helped me get my tube length right. I believe

that the only thing that was a little different is that my tube measures

1.011" in outside diameter and yours is 1.00". I think that his name on the

forum is shokdimn. I am sure that he would give you a comment because he was

an awfully nice guy.

The heated grips I can not tell you personally but a lot of people

have bought my throttle that have put heated grips on them but I have never

had any one comment back on if they worked or didn't.

I will guarantee my throttle assembly against ANY reason that you

can come up with if you don't like it!

Thank you!

Sam
If I am as smart as I think I am.....(no comment on that) and I read this correctly, this will work with a Throttlemeister. Correcto?

Here is an answer from Sam on grips and throttlemeister.

I have dealt with a guy on the FJR Forum that used a Throttlemeister

and that is why I did not chamfer the end of my tube so that it had a better

service and he is the guy that helped me get my tube length right. I believe

that the only thing that was a little different is that my tube measures

1.011" in outside diameter and yours is 1.00". I think that his name on the

forum is shokdimn. I am sure that he would give you a comment because he was

an awfully nice guy.
If I am as smart as I think I am.....(no comment on that) and I read this correctly, this will work with a Throttlemeister. Correcto?
Think so as the locking mechanism for the TM should expand to that diameter. I will let you know when I try it.

Installed the G2 cam with the Honda heated grips and both work great. The warmth is very welcome and the difference in throttle response is incredible!!!!! The G2 is the fix for the abrupt snatch in low rpm. When transitioning from throttle shut-down into a corner to throttle application is now fixed!!!!! The difference in feel is amazing.

Anyone who has not done this mod needs to do it. This is the mod/farkle of the year!

I installed the madco throttle lock, it really works well, except that I found the chrome flip switch a bit too small when your wearing winter gloves. Has anyone else experienced that? I did inform madco and they said if they have a lot more requests they would tool up accordingly, meanwhile they suggested I fit a small piece of rubber tubing over the switch!.

I did the install:

2006 AE model FJR with heated grips (factory), and Throttlemeister or "TM" -- everything works fine...

so yes -- the G2 Ergo cam worked for me on an 06 AE with TM and heated grips.

The cam improves the riders ability to control low rpm -- thereby allowing greater control for throttle input to the YCCS ECU.

I did the install:
2006 AE model FJR with heated grips (factory), and Throttlemeister or "TM" -- everything works fine...

so yes -- the G2 Ergo cam worked for me on an 06 AE with TM and heated grips.

The cam improves the riders ability to control low rpm -- thereby allowing greater control for throttle input to the YCCS ECU.

Rickster,

What did you do to get the grips off? I have read the many posts about using a screwdriver or something to pry off the grip, but I am afraid to do that with the heating elements in there? What did you do?

What has to be done to move the heating element to the new tube? Do you just peel it off the old tube and stick it to the new one?

Anything else that might be different about the AE inntall?

Thanks.

...What did you do to get the grips off?
...What has to be done to move the heating element to the new tube?

Anything else that might be different about the AE inntall?

Thanks.

First -- make sure you take a good look at where the cable on the grips for the heater line up with the plastic throttle tube. You will need to put the grips on in the same orientation on the G2 throttle tube.

I got them off using soapy water, and a compressor. just put the air nozzle between the edge of the grip and the plastic and it expands the grip (you can feel it increase in diameter). Then squirted some soapy water in there, and more compressed air. Now --

Glove in one hand to hold the plastic tube where the cables were, and a dish towell to grip the rubber grip -- I quarter turned and pulled to get them off. It did take a bit of effort.

The heating elements are molded into the grips -- nothing has to be done to move the heating elements to the new tube -- they are integrated into the rubber.

i think the only thing that's different about the AE is that the grips have heaters, and you need to pay close attention to how the wires are dressed in the throttle housing, and how the grip is oriented relative to the throttle sleeve. I took pictures with a dig. cam. prior to switching.

Part of an email I received from G2, an explanation of the cam differences.

If for ANY reason after you get the Throttle Cam System and

you think that it is too mild I will exchange that cam for another one. The

400Y cam seems to be the best one but I have a 200Y (-10%) 300Y (-16%) & the

400Y (-20%).

I just ordered a G2 this week. Does anyone know whether this helps the stiff throttle spring issue as well or should that still be loosened 1 turn?

Thanks.

I think you'll find the mechanical advantage provided by the G2 400 cam over the return springs will provide the relief you're looking for. I wouldn't mess with the springs until you spend some time with the new throttle tube.

So this was a piece of cake to install?Should I buy new grips? or was the factory grip easy to get off and back on?

(I don't have or feel the need for Grip Puppies yet).

-MD
Yes, it was really easy. I did it all in less than 10 minutes. You will *most likely* need new grips. I had already replaced the stock grips when I installed the MADCO throttle lock months earlier.. I simply cut them off with a single edged blade back then. Don't recall if they were glued from the factory or not. For this go round, I used compressed air under the grip to slip it off without damage. Also, I use safety wire on my grips to prevent slipping when wet.
I can't state strongly enough how well this farkle works. Most times, you farkle it and 'kind of' feel a difference (Strada E tires vs Road Pilots, barbarian jumper mod, etc) but this farkle is very much evident at the first post farkle ride. I am really, really, :D :D :D with this farkle.

dcarver,

did you just add the spacer to the end of the throttle tube to make up for the madco unit, or did you cut the grip??

chiefj48

Added the G2 tube yesterday.

Install was very easy. Compressed air IS the trick to removing grips.

And for anyone running a BrakeAway throttle lock, the G2 tube works fine.

I will admit, the abrupt throttle on my bike wasn't that bad. I always thought it was my technique (still do). The tube has helped.

Capt. Bob

For the $$, so far, this is the best farkle I've installed.. I've not heard of any one unhappy with this farkle...