Helmet Visors- UV Protection?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of misinformation here- I used to be a rep for Vuarnet back in the 80's and was trained pretty well in the elements of a quality lens. First of all- Polarization has NOTHING to do with blocking UVA or UVB rays- it is designed for glare. Glare is light that has been "aligned" into vertical waves and horizontal waves- and a polarizing filter (sandwiched between two thinner lenses) acts just like a venetian blind- blocking the waves of glare that are aligned vertically, while allowing most of the waves that are aligned horizontally. This "alignment" comes from light bouncing off of snow or water- so that's why polarizing filters are so nice on a boat or while skiing. The polarizing filter gives the rainbow effect when used behind any plastic shield- because the shield has a certain amount of "alignment" effect, but not a consistent one... so you get a breakup of the wavelengths that reach your eyes.

UVB IS harmful to your eyes- and if you're getting a sunburn thru your shield, you're NOT being protected by it. You need to augment with a pair of protective sunglasses. Even clear plastic based prescription lenses block 99 to 100 Percent of UV- UVA and UVB... so if you're an eyeglass wearer, you're already getting nearly all the protection you need.

Again- check out the "Pinlock" product... it should solve the problem of protection and tinting- with the added benefit that it provides EXCELLENT fog prevention. No affiliation, just loving how well this product works.

[I think this should be a concern for those of is that ride often...especially it seems with a darker tinted visor in which your eyes are more dilated letting MORE harmful rays in.

See here:

https://www.allaboutvision.com/sunglasses/spf.htm

I also saw a study that said both types of UV rays can cause cancer.

Your safest bet here is to wear sunglassess that block both A nd B if you are unsure if your helmets visor does..

KM

Lots of misinformation here- I used to be a rep for Vuarnet back in the 80's and was trained pretty well in the elements of a quality lens. First of all- Polarization has NOTHING to do with blocking UVA or UVB rays- it is designed for glare. Glare is light that has been "aligned" into vertical waves and horizontal waves- and a polarizing filter (sandwiched between two thinner lenses) acts just like a venetian blind- blocking the waves of glare that are aligned vertically, while allowing most of the waves that are aligned horizontally. This "alignment" comes from light bouncing off of snow or water- so that's why polarizing filters are so nice on a boat or while skiing. The polarizing filter gives the rainbow effect when used behind any plastic shield- because the shield has a certain amount of "alignment" effect, but not a consistent one... so you get a breakup of the wavelengths that reach your eyes.
UVB IS harmful to your eyes- and if you're getting a sunburn thru your shield, you're NOT being protected by it. You need to augment with a pair of protective sunglasses. Even clear plastic based prescription lenses block 99 to 100 Percent of UV- UVA and UVB... so if you're an eyeglass wearer, you're already getting nearly all the protection you need.

Again- check out the "Pinlock" product... it should solve the problem of protection and tinting- with the added benefit that it provides EXCELLENT fog prevention. No affiliation, just loving how well this product works.
I know the difference between polarization and UV blocking. I would like to use polarized lenses due to the reduced glare, but they cause a rainbow effect when used in conjunction with my Arai shield. They can also cause tar strips and wet sections of roads to be missed due to the way they change reflected light off them.

I always wear Ray Ban sunglasses under my visor, so my eyes are protected. My complaint is that I still get a sunburn with my Arai visor down.

I have been doing some research on this subject and have found that nearly EVERY OTHER HELMET MANUFACTURER provides UVA and UVB protection EXCEPT ARAI. Shoei, HJC, Nolan, and others all claim to block both UVA and UVB. Yet not only are Arai helmets the most expensive on the market, their face shields cost close $50-$60 to replace.

Go figure. I guess I have bought my last Arai.

as I said earlier in the thread- they'd have to search pretty hard to find a material that didn't block 100% U.V. for their shields- it's really not that hard to get an optical plastic that blocks extremely well. This is a real surprise to me. Suddenly I'm glad I've got a Shoei head!~

Most plastics only block UVA, not UVB. If you want to block UVB, it has to have a coating applied to the plastic.

It appears that most other brands have a UVB block coating on them, but the $600 Arai's do not. Go figure.

Most plastics are not suitable for optical use. Optical grade plastics usually block both all by themselves.

The key is OPTICAL grade. Not simply "Plastics". You're looking at apples and oranges. Something that is manufactured specifically for the use in optics is generally going to block most, if not all of the UVA and UVB. The dimestore crap you see that has no base curve- the lens curves along only one plane and not the other- is about the only optical product out there that does not block UVA/UVB quite effectively- Along with Arai shields!!~

Well, according to Arai's own marketing folks, their shields do not block UVB.

It is interesting because I never got a sunburn with my old Arai Signet GT, but when I replaced it with the newer GTR, I started getting burned. According to Arai, they have not changed the shields in many years. Go figure, all I can tell you is what my own personal experience is. I got a pretty bad burn on my last 15 day ride, and that never used to happen before now. When I look at the shields from my old Signet and my new one, there is an obvious coating on the old one that is not on the new one. It is visibly darker, and one spot where the coating was removed looks more like the new shield does.

Here is another product that could be used to coat a face shield to give it better UV protection, but you will have to periodically reapply it.

https://www.superiorcarcare.net/plastik-surface-sealant.html

It is interesting because I never got a sunburn with my old Arai Signet GT, but when I replaced it with the newer GTR, I started getting burned. According to Arai, they have not changed the shields in many years. Go figure, all I can tell you is what my own personal experience is. I got a pretty bad burn on my last 15 day ride, and that never used to happen before now. When I look at the shields from my old Signet and my new one, there is an obvious coating on the old one that is not on the new one. It is visibly darker, and one spot where the coating was removed looks more like the new shield does.

Here is another product that could be used to coat a face shield to give it better UV protection, but you will have to periodically reapply it.

Well my curiousity has gotten the best of me. I ordered one of these:

UV Meter

I'll do a comparison with a clear, dark smoke, and no shield. See if it blocks anything.

Well my curiousity has gotten the best of me. I ordered one of these:

UV Meter

I'll do a comparison with a clear, dark smoke, and no shield. See if it blocks anything.

When I was in the industry, those meters were notoriously unreliable. It will be interesting to see what you come up with~

Here is what Arai says now about UVB Protection...

Your last reply stated that "all of them can't protect type B" can any of them?? How much DO they protect? Arai Japan should know this forum has over 1000 members...Thanks for your help.

Resolution: ____________________________

Update by KO - Tuesday, August 8, 2006

the answer we got for type b is 96 to 97% protected.

I don't believe the clear Arai shields will block UVB, and I have the sunburn to prove it.

The new Nolan 102 boasts UV 400 protection, and I talked to a rider that has put about 20K miles on it already with no sunburn at all despite being in the saddle for the past 30 consequtive days in scorching heat and sun. I find it amazing a cheap Nolan will protect better than a $600 Arai.

I have been using an HJC helmet with a clear shield and I get sunburned through the shield. I'll be interested to see if any more information turns up. I have been thinking about getting another helmet, but I want one that won't promote sunburns or cancer. A Shoei?

I have been using an HJC helmet with a clear shield and I get sunburned through the shield. I'll be interested to see if any more information turns up. I have been thinking about getting another helmet, but I want one that won't promote sunburns or cancer. A Shoei?

Shoei's block 100% u.v. They make good shields that stay right where you put them- the latch is one of the best out there. The "Pinlock" system seems to work well, also- and you can get a Shoei shield with the pinlock system pre-installed. Great if you ride in the rain or cold climates.

Last edited by a moderator: