I Washed My FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did at least get it dirty riding the wheels off it
smile.png

Anyone for Hancock Pass?
Well, I might not have ridden down Rim Bender Road like you did on the rally, but none the less I do see some dirt roads. There are no pictures of the really bad roads because everyone was hanging on for dear life. Some assorted roads from various rides, real dirt, not spooge from a paved road:

IMG_9088b_zps2a7c419b.jpg

IMG_9129c_zps6ebccac1.jpg

IMG_8711b_zps9c3aa34f.jpg

IMG_9086b_zpsb01df043.jpg

IMG_0832c_zpsa122339b.jpg

IMG_6691b_zps835ed828.jpg

IMG_9227b_zpsb60ac92f.jpg

Most of the NERDS will recognize the B4 in the lead in most pictures.

Hey, when you follow me it's bound to get dusty back there.

But I am not ashamed to admit that I occasionally wash (all or sometimes just part of) my bike. Not nearly as obsessively as CanadianFJR does, but every now and then. Especially after riding in the winter salt spray or if it's time for some major tear down. Riding it dirty is fine, but I really hate working on a filthy bike. ;)

Why, I even broke the hose out on preparation for our upcoming trip. I washed the bugs off the headlights and windshield so I could put some slippery plastic polish on there. Hopefully make it easier to do the same out on the road.

I have washed, waxed, polished and detailed every motorcycle and car I have ever owned, they have always been sparkle clean. When I sold my almost 20 year old Honda, the guy that bought it initially thought it was new.

Then I bought a motorcycle that I love better than any motorcycle I have ever owned. In fact, when it rains I ride it, when it's cold I ride it, when the sun shines I ride it, and unlike any bike before, when the road turns to dirt and mud I ride it. I wash it on Sunday afternoon and ride it to work in the rain on Monday morning. By Monday afternoon it looks just like it did on Sunday morning before it was washed. Since nobody would believe me if I told them I wash my bike (because it's always dirty) I just tell them I never wash my bike and named it Pig Pen.

main-pigpen.png

I do spot wash my bike though, things like the windshield, lights & signals and important mechanical parts that move. I have never owned a motorcycle or car that has been as consistently dirty as my poor filthy but well loved FJR. If I worried about keeping it clean at all times I would ride it less and enjoy it less. We bought the FJR to extend our riding seasons and with better weather protection not let weather impact the days we ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to wash mine after a long trip to make sure everything is still tight and where it supposed to be....
sleep.png

I'm in the once a year camp. though I do clean the bugs off of the headlights a little more often.

Honestly, I believe that some of the problems some people report on the forum are caused by excessive washing.

I'm in the once a year camp. though I do clean the bugs off of the headlights a little more often.
Honestly, I believe that some of the problems some people report on the forum are caused by excessive washing.
10-4

I didn't get an FJR to wear the paint out.

I'd like to say I had the room and the skills to do all my own maintenance, but I don't. Good old Roseville Yamaha has both, though, and all I have to do is hand them some plastic once in a while. The beauty part is, when I pick it up, it's always shiny clean! It's like magic.
smile.png

Oh, but I do wash the lenses on my lights pretty often.

I just washed it! "It" being my Vstrom, and "wash" meaning I hosed the mud off of it.
tonguesmiley.gif

Just ran the historic Old Province Road from Laconia down to where it seems to disappear at Rte 202 in Barrington (more research needed to find the rest of it).

I was just doodling my way back from a tag over in Etna (yeah, I took the long way home) and when I came down Rt 107 (a paved section of the Province Rd) decided to see where it went. Mostly it is well maintained dirt, but it seems some sections are Class IV (ie not maintained at all) But the Manstrom was up to the challenge.

An FJR would have been stranded on the Class IV section but otherwise fine. But, I have it all ready to go west on Tuesday...

Well I'm not sure, Fred.

I took mine up to 11077 feet on Hancock Pass. Only the lower elevation is maintained, the rest graded as suitable only for 4-wheel drive and dirt bikes. A good rider on a dual-sport should be able to make it, with some difficulty.

I washed it because after 3000 miles of that kind of antic, the bugs and dirt were too much for simple "spot-cleaning". It was easier to break out the soap and warm water.

While you are undoubtedly an FJR dual sporting stud, Twigg, if this is what the road looks like on Hancock Pass (from your prior link)

IMG_0043-X2.jpg

that is what we consider "well groomed dirt roads" in the east.

I should have stopped and got a photo of the class IV today, but I was a little preoccupied keeping the Strom moving and not napping. Yeah, there is no way you'd be getting an FJR thru there. I'll take one most any place, but I'd have turned around on that one. The ruts were almost axle deep,

As I said in the previous post ... That is what the lower elevation looks like.

THIS is what it looks like higher up:

This video is the last half mile to the summit. I can attest that much of the previous five miles is the same ... Enjoy!

I was a bit preoccupied, and in no mood for taking pictures!

Hey Twigg, ya know if ya just stand on the pegs and keep your weight back you can throttle up and float that front wheel over the rough stuff. Make for a much steadier video. Jes' sayin'
grin.gif

Hey Twigg, ya know if ya just stand on the pegs and keep your weight back you can throttle up and float that front wheel over the rough stuff. Make for a much steadier video. Jes' sayin'
grin.gif
It wasn't me that shot the video.

Yes, on a regular dirt road you can do what you said ... On this one not. Try it on this road, on an FJR, and disaster awaits you :D

Yeah, the road in that video would be tough on an FJR, but as you already said, it was do-able.

The unmaintained road I was talking about running yesterday was not FJR do-able. Being in the east, instead of having big, sharp, loose rocks to deal with (looks like it would be a challenge to keep your FJR header whole) we get lots of clay mud, and the deep ruts that the big 4-wheel drives leave in the mud roads make it tough going on a street bike. Like I said, it was a challenge to get the Man-Strom through there, and it's ~ 150 lbs lighter and has 60-40 tires on it.

Canadian FJR is putting some TKC 80's on his FJR, for running the Trans Lab Hwy after CFR, later on this month. I hear that is mostly good gravel, but I'm still looking forward to hearing about that escapade.

Ground clearance is an issue when you get of the hard top. Those expensive side cases are vulnerable too. For a trip through Labrador, or Alaska I would stick a cart tire on the back and maybe something like a TKC on the front, then hope it stayed upright because that plastic is flimsy.

Latest posts