I'm torn between

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I contacted dealer early on Tuesday (closed Sunday and Monday) via their website to ascertain the verification process for my two trade-ins. Still no reply at 9:30 AM Wednesday. I don't want to sell the two trades myself, even if it means less money. I've had the Kawi Nomad for sale (craigslist and Cycle Trader) since June, and all I get are scammers. This all may take a while. I rode in to work today, and will stop by there on my way home.

Indeed if the FJR were a 50 state single model then the 7500 mile minimum would be moot. But at least from the microfiches there seem to be two models in '13, an ADG model and a ADCG. Looking at the Bike Bandit files for both models its interesting that they show the same fuel tank for both, but in the parts list at the bottom they list 24 unique part numbers with a tag "For California only" that would appear to be related to the evap canister and associated tubes/clamps/etc....

The dealer called me yesterday evening. Today Thursday I made an offer of $9500+tax, title, license, with no fees. minus my two trade-ins. We'll see.

It has ~2500 miles on it already. How many miles do you need to register a used bike from outside of the commie state anyway?
I'm sure that minor number could be arranged on the return trip. You didn't think he was going to ship it, or trailer it home did you? :rolleyes:
7500 miles on it, at the time you buy it. However, it's my understanding that all the bikes are now 50 states bikes. If that's true then the mileage is a moot point.
They are Not for 2016. Maybe in The Future. That's why Yamaha has a different release date for CA. Normally one month after the other 49. And the CA bikes have a different model designator. It's not just the carbon canister, it's also the lambda sensors, the ECU, etc. the only manufacturer that I know who makes so called 50 State bikes is BMW.

Well, on Friday after work, I was home with a cocktail when the phone rings. The dealer has accepted my offer of $9.5k + tax and license, and I was happy with what they would give me in trade for the Kawi and the '06FJR. All we need is for the trade-ins to be inspected. I went out to get the Kawi ready and noticed a small puddle of oil under it, where there had never, not in six years of ownership, been one before. The Kawi had been in the shop to replace a suspect stator. Not riding it much, I had not seen the puddle. Get to the dealer, they take it in the back. 30 minutes later, they're telling me the bike has an oil leak for sure, and that they will have to lower their trade-in price by $2000.00 'cause that's what it will cost to fix, since they can't resell or auction it with a known leak. They claim the leak is in the case seam, where there is a small scuff mark from loading the bike onto a trailer. Now the '13 FJR is two grand more. The shop that did the stator work says they are using this as a way to recoup $2k back on their agreed price. I guess that's possible, but the deal is dead, no 2013 FJR in my garage. No worries, though, I still love my '06.

Bummer, FJRRYDER. Maybe try again when then 2016s come out and all previous versions of FJR take a little hit on their value.

I'd bet it's leaking from the stator cover. I'd have that shop remove it, replace the gasket and put it back together. That's not a $2k fix, almost any way you look at it.

Then I'd buy a new bike somewhere else and make sure I visit the guys that tried to hose me.

Bummer 'Ryder, get the Kawi fixed up and then on the hunt for another FJR. Take your time, flip both your bikes and find a good FJR over the winter [as much as you have in SoCal] !

Good luck with the search!

--G

I'm with Zilla.... and in most cases you are better off to sell your bikes yourself and walk in somewhere with cash to buy the new one...... AND, there's always going to be a deal out there somewhere if you're patient.

I've had a lot of deals come apart at the last minute, and often it turns out to be for the best. The dealer was hoping you had already emotionally bought and owned the new FJR and you'd eat the $2K. Glad you weren't so committed you could walk away. The others are correct: take your time, fix the Kaw, sell the bikes, shop hard, be patient and you will score.

Thanks to all for the advice. I especially like the vindictive streak of 'Zilla and Hud - Don't Get Mad, Get Even. There's plenty of bikes out there.

Thanks to all for the advice. I especially like the vindictive streak of 'Zilla and Hud - Don't Get Mad, Get Even. There's plenty of bikes out there.
Oh yeah, and it works. I too have found it best that if I felt I was getting a raw deal to just walk away.

I wanted an '07 and the '08s had come out. 1st dealership wouldn't take a few minutes to look at a computer screen for a new '07 but would sell me an '08. I walked. Same with the 2nd dealership. 3rd one found me what I wanted for a good price so I bought it and made it a point to revisit to first two. I stop in once or twice per year at each and never buy anything but for some reason they still know my name. Go figure.

Oh yea, and have you done the smoothness mods for your 06? G2 tube and Power Commander. Totally transformed mine. It's about 95% better. The 2013+ will be 100% better, but if you like your current ride and want to remove that...give it a shot.

For what it's worth, we've talked about this before: with the onset of the winter months comes the inevitable. There will be plenty of amazing deals listed on this forum. There will be great prices on used and nearly new bikes. It happens every winter without fail.

Maybe today's bummer indeed becomes tomorrow's blessing.

Gary
darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha...I've done that more than once.
The first time, my wife and I bought a Nissan Murano. My wife loved that car. One Friday, we got a recall notice that the alternators were not charging correctly and we needed to take our SUV to Nissan for repair. I called our dealer and was told parts were two weeks out and would have to call back for an appointment.

On Monday morning my wife called me...The Murano's battery was dead. It wouldn't hold a charge, so I called Nissan and told them I was taking it in. I explained the recall and the service girl told me it was a warranty issue and was covered. When we got to Reliable Nissan, she changed her tune, saying the battery was a maintenance item and if it was bad, the cost was on us. I reminded her that our alternator was probably not charging the battery correctly, leading to a premature death, which was what prompted the recall. I told her to call me, but not to call and try to BS me into thinking the battery was just bad.

A couple hours later, they didn't call me, they called my wife. Told her the battery was bad and it would be $200 to replace. She told them to fix it, knowing we would argue the alternator and should win. NOPE! We got there to pay, and they wouldn't even acknowledge the alternator recall. I was pissed, but my wife loved that car and had a $60 coupon for a service visit, so.I srated quiet. She presented the coupon and was told she couldn't use it. That did it. My green monster came out and I let them know I was pissed. I told the lady to get our paperwork because we were getting rid of the Nissan and I wanted my extended warranty refunded NOW. Her boss came out and honored the coupon. We paid $140 and drove from Reliable Nissan to Bob Turner's Ford and bought an Expedition. My wife calls the Expo our $35,000 battery. Haha...

Then, I took my brand new Expedition and parked it in the middle of the Nissan service bay, blocking two lanes in the garage. The same service advisor lady we dealt with the day before told me I couldn't park there. I told her to get fucked and dared her to tow it. Then I went in and got our warranty refund. I peeled out on their shiny, indoor concrete as I left, making sure they fully understood I would NEVER go back and I would talk shit about them every opportunity I got.

A couple years later, I had set my sights on a 2007 FJR. We were teaching a firearms class to some of our reserve guys, and turned out, one of them, a guy they called Lurch, was a salesman at Bobby J's Yamaha. We talked about the 2007 on their sales floor for two days. Lurch said he would be back at the dealership on Friday and told me I would get 10% off the bike with reduced fees. Awesome!!

On Friday, I went to the dealership and we started the numbers on the bike. Lurch came out with full MSRP plus TT&L and dealer fees. When I asked him about the 10% and reduced fees we talked about on Tuesday and Wednesday, he told me, "Oh, I didn't know you wanted an FJR. We can't discount those." I left, telling him I'd look somewhere else and buy from the first good deal I found.

A month later, I found my FJR at Handlebar Motorsports in Durango CO. They made me a very good deal. Not the best I've seen, but far from the worst, and way better than Albuquerque. I rode it home that weekend.

On Tuesday, I rode to Bobey J's. I was purchasing a service agreement because I knew nothing about maintaining motorcycles. I parked out front and walked in. Lurch smirked to his sales buddy and asked me, "So, you here to make a deal on that bike?" I said, "Nope. I bought one in Colorado. I told you I would, and I got a great deal." He looked outside and the dejected look on his stupid face made my day. Never saw him again, and I don't care.

I don't need my ass kissed, but don't lie to me, don't try to screw me out of money, and don't treat me like I'm stupid. That's just bad business, and it will piss me off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't hold back now. Tell us how you really feel.
smile.png

Back to the "new" FJR. If you really want one you will find a way to make it happen. There is always a way.