Is an FJR right for me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoopster3 posted: <snip, snip> Are you guys able to back it up while still on the bike? Or do you hop off and move it around?
Got a 32-inch inseam, so significantly longer in the leg. I DO ride with my saddle in the 'high' position.

I often have to back mine by tilting it side-to-side to get all of my foot on the pavement with a little bit of bend at the knee. Backing it out of my garage, I lean it over until I can push the wall with my hand -- and when she's almost out, I grab the garage door guiderail/track and pull.

Out in the world, you had better park facing uphill. It is easy to slide her backwards with the sidestand down. I would not recommend pushing her backwards, uphill, while off the bike: too much chance of her going over.

.................... FWIW ....................

FJRs took 5 of the top 6 places in the 2013 IBR. (Third page from last.)

2015 IBR results aren't already sorted that way, and I have to go to work, so ... take my completely objective opinion: the FJR is a better sport-touring motorcycle than the ST1300.

Last edited by a moderator:
... I can't find that "one" elusive bike that captures everything I want ...
First off: you likely won't find that one bike that has everything you desire ... but I bet the FJR comes damn close.

Secondly: there are many people a lot shorter than you riding FJR's

Good luck in making your selection. There's a lot to choose from. And I have to say that I think the FJR meets many of your requirements.
ATT00014.gif

Hey there, Hoopster!

My current problem is that I can't find that "one" elusive bike that captures everything I want. I definitely want a more relaxed seating position, but would like sport bike handling and acceleration while still being able to have storage and go longer distances.
I hear you! Your "wants" would seem to fit in line with the FJR's broader capabilities. People commute, travel across the continent, and run the twisties on this bike. The ergonomics are more relaxed than a pure sport bike and can be readily modified with a variety of accessories for a more customized fit.

My other concern is that I'm 5'9 with a 30" inseam and am worried I won't be able to get my tiptoes down on an FJR, let alone back it up.

30" inseam and never considered not having one. I have never flat footed a motorcycle ever. On the balls of my feet with this one. It will check off most of your boxes...
I'm with Wheatie on this one. I'm 5' 11" and have a 29"-30" inseam, and a longish torso. On the stock seat I too am on the balls of my feet, but this has never been an issue for me. At a stop, I can flat either foot and switch between them as needed. My Russell Day-Long (long distance touring) saddle adds an additional inch or so in seat height. I'm then still on the balls of my feet, but a bit less so. That took a bit of adjusting on my part, but I'm fine with it. And that saddle's ultra comfy.

And as with any heavy bike having only forward gears, backing up has to be carefully considered and sometimes requires a bit of planning.

So I would think you have little to worry about in this regard. YMMV.

The dealer that I would work with is a Harley and Yamaha dealer. I would say 85% of the motorcycles they have in stock are HD's. They only have 1 FJR and it's a 2014 and has never been titled. The problem with this they don't let you test ride a new model. I guess I could go sit on it but wouldn't be able to ride it. I would be looking and ordering a 2016 if I went this route. It's good to hear that some others with a 30" inseam are riding these. Are you guys able to back it up while still on the bike? Or do you hop off and move it around?
I'm 5'8" and have a 30" inseam with a Russell Day Long seat. I'm on the balls of my feet and feel confident at the stop signs/lights. Just like you I plan ahead when I'm in a parking lot. To expand a little off the parking lot planning, pay attention while on the road to the tire tracks. The middle of the road can be a bit higher than where the car and truck tires are, that extra inch or so of drop when normally you're on the balls of your feet could turn in to an OH ##%$@$%#! moment.

In my opinion there isn't a bike out there that will check even 75% of the blocks. The FJR comes in at a really good price compared to other STs on the market leaving money in your pocket to add exactly what you want, not just what the manufacture says you want. What you add isn't package up all nice and pretty like others out there, but what you add after market most likely will be better than what you could have gotten other wise. On the FJR and other bikes I've some after market additions that look like they came from the manufacture if you take your time and willing to roll up your selves for a bit to do the install.

The FJR is about as solid of a bike as you'll find out there. Good luck with your decision!!

Hoopster like a lot of guys, I'm 5'8 3/4'' (had to add that 3/4 in there) with a 30'' inseam. I have been on several different bikes from 600cc sport bikes to a 950 V-Star and now on the FJR1300. If I really "need" to back the bike up or move it around the garage I don't do it while I'm sitting on the bike. It's much easier to push it than tip toe through the parking lot or the garage while on the seat. I lowered my Ninja a couple inches in the back just because it made it more comfortable, but I did sacrifice a softer ride in the process. When my wife rides with me I take it slow and pay attention to where I'm going to put my feet at stops. If you haven't seen any of the "Ride Like A Pro" videos, I'd definitely recommend them. They have made my riding that much better and very slow speed maneuvers don't bother me near as much. Confidence is key!

Regarding "finding" that 1 bike, the FJR was my answer. Way better wind protection than a cruiser with zero head buffeting (I hated that about the V-star 950 and put tons of money into fixing a problem most sport bikes don't have). The ability to go as fast as you would ever need and chew through the miles at 75mph without vibrating to death. Great ergonomics that require little money to dial in.

Hmm, 5'7" here with a 29" inseam... and that's to the ground, not pant size. 30" pants drag the ground for me... Anyhow, I removed the seat bracket and reinstalled in the low low position and can put both feet down on the front balls. When I am in town I usually just put the left foot down flat foot and I am just fine. As far as backing up, well no problem on the level but uphill I just get off and pull. No biggie, it's just life with stubby legs so I am used to having to make adjustments.

As far as the rest. I prefer the more upright seating posture, it is much easier on the back, handling and control is greatly improved as well as visibility. I don't have any problem with the protection, however I actually like having the ability to adjust the wind screen down as I like a nice breeze when I ride. Although when it's cold, I can raise the windscreen, have the fairings out and I am just fine. I mean it's not a rolling sofa like the king or the wing so I don't expect that level of protection or comfort, but then again that's not what I was looking for.

Personally I think the FJR is a great all around bike and found that I stopped riding my other bike and even when I go looking, I gravitate right back to the FJR. This bike just soaks up the miles and every bit of it is enjoyable.

Good luck in your quest, but I would say that if you are looking for a sport touring machine, you really can't do better all around than the FJR. Ease of maintenance, dependable, fun, powerful, great handling and plenty of farkles to suit even the most farlkly feller... or lady.

I will say this, I have done a couple of modifications. MV Mottorrad adjustable bar riser to raise and pull back the handlebars a little further, Concepts seat and grip puppies... And I tell ya, my baby fits like a well oiled glove now :)

My opinion to the original poster. I am just a little over 5'9", but only 31" inseam. I have rode the FJR for several

years and only had a couple minor problems. Once I had to do a quick stop when I was almost to get on the road. I

dropped the bike cause the parking lot was so uneven. Lesson learned.

Once I went forward into a parking place that had a good amount of decline. I could not get the FJR backed up without

help.

Now I feel pretty experienced on the bike. I am very careful where I park. Careful to use mostly back brake when going

slow parking lot speeds.

Is the FJR more of a handful than a cruiser at slow speeds and parking- YES. Is it worth it OH YEA.

On your second question. I have ZERO complaints on wind management. I think the FJR has great wind management and

mine is stock. I think most of the guys that have to modify the FJR because of wind are tall.

I'm adding a new twist into my search for a 2016 FJR ES. I spoke with my dealer today and they have none in stock, aren't allocated any and CAN'T ORDER ONE. They are a Harley and Yamaha dealer. I asked how in the world they could not get one being a licensed Yamaha dealer? He said when they go to the order page it says all FJR's are not available. He wondered if it was a limited supply issue and they are gone. I find this hard to believe that Yamaha (being just the start of peak riding season here in Iowa) would have run out of these bikes.

He did mention that they have a brand new 2014 FJR A in stock and would give me one heck of a deal on my trade-in if I got it. I kinda had my mind set on a 16 ES but at least they have one I can sit on. I further questioned him about getting a 16 and he said he would speak to their Yamaha rep tomorrow and get back to me. I like the updates on the 16 models and since I'm not in a money crunch I think I would rather spend the extra cash on a new one but considering the increased trade-in amount and lower price for the bike it's about a $3300 savings if I got the 2014, which I'm sure they would love to get rid of.

Thank you to everyone who has given feedback as I know don't believe my height should limit me. Now I just need to make an informed decision and see if they can even get a 2016 model. Anyone know why they wouldn't be able to?

I am 29 inseam and don't have a problem. I had the stock seat modified and it gave me about an inch lower. I am on the ball a of my feet. Wouldn't let the inseam stop you if you like the ride.

From my experience dealers have to pre-order for their next model year bikes. The local dealer has told me the same thing in the past, that they would have an extremely difficult time getting a new bike this time of year, that was not a pre-ordered bike. I know car dealers will do dealer trades for customers, but I don't think it's common with motorcycle dealers.

Try searching thru Cycletrader.com. I found a dealer that (apparently) has a '16, located in Grimes, IA. Hicklin Powersports. Good luck...I have an '08 and would love to upgrade to the '16.

It's possible for people with shorter inseams to find a way to be comfortable on a FJR. Consider the FJR rider on the left of this picture getting ready to saddle up.
[img=[URL="https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/FJR%20Travels/2010/Quabbin/_MG_5057a_resize.jpg%5D"]https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/FJR%20Travels/2010/Quabbin/_MG_5057a_resize.jpg][/URL]
The FJR rider on the left and I are about the same size (about 5' 4.5" and 125 lbs ) and I have 50,000 miles on my '07 (the best colour ) FJR

It's possible for people with shorter inseams to find a way to be comfortable on a FJR. Consider the FJR rider on the left of this picture getting ready to saddle up.

[img=[URL="https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/FJR%20Travels/2010/Quabbin/_MG_5057a_resize.jpg%5D"]https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/FJR%20Travels/2010/Quabbin/_MG_5057a_resize.jpg][/URL]
The FJR rider on the left and I are about the same size (about 5' 4.5" and 125 lbs ) and I have 50,000 miles on my '07 (the best colour ) FJR
How much money did you have to put into it to get it lowered and set up for you to be able to ride it?

MEM on her FJR with the orange/gray motif:

4345cdcb-d2f8-4ae2-8947-d4aa0d21d712_zps670d040f.jpg

Kind of a squint to see picture:

IMG_0199b.jpg

[img=]https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/FJR Travels/2010/Quabbin/_MG_5057a_resize.jpg]
Kind of a squint to see picture:
Check your email for funny story :D

I'm adding a new twist into my search for a 2016 FJR ES. I spoke with my dealer today and they have none in stock, aren't allocated any and CAN'T ORDER ONE. They are a Harley and Yamaha dealer. I asked how in the world they could not get one being a licensed Yamaha dealer? He said when they go to the order page it says all FJR's are not available. He wondered if it was a limited supply issue and they are gone. I find this hard to believe that Yamaha (being just the start of peak riding season here in Iowa) would have run out of these bikes.
He did mention that they have a brand new 2014 FJR A in stock and would give me one heck of a deal on my trade-in if I got it. I kinda had my mind set on a 16 ES but at least they have one I can sit on. I further questioned him about getting a 16 and he said he would speak to their Yamaha rep tomorrow and get back to me. I like the updates on the 16 models and since I'm not in a money crunch I think I would rather spend the extra cash on a new one but considering the increased trade-in amount and lower price for the bike it's about a $3300 savings if I got the 2014, which I'm sure they would love to get rid of.

Thank you to everyone who has given feedback as I know don't believe my height should limit me. Now I just need to make an informed decision and see if they can even get a 2016 model. Anyone know why they wouldn't be able to?
When I bought mine, it was ordered in Jan or Feb, the dealer told me he was lucky he was able to get one. The reason why they let him order it is he sold a Terrene the year before. Strange how if a dealer has a buyer they won't ship them the bike but will let others have one just to sit on the floor. Not following the logic on that at all.

There were some great deals out there when I got my '12, but I had my heart set on that beautiful blue. The deals were very tempting but went with what I wanted. I haven't looked back once saying I wish I had. Besides, you can't take it with you so enjoy what you've worked hard for!!

A road King was the only serious non-German competition when I bought my FJR, even though it's a totally different bike. Not as nimble or fast, but comfortable and maneuverable. Part of my going fjr was hat it was a more reliable (but less comfortable) alternative to another RT.

Latest posts