Is an FJR right for me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm adding a new twist into my search for a 2016 FJR ES. I spoke with my dealer today and they have none in stock, aren't allocated any and CAN'T ORDER ONE. They are a Harley and Yamaha dealer. I asked how in the world they could not get one being a licensed Yamaha dealer? He said when they go to the order page it says all FJR's are not available. He wondered if it was a limited supply issue and they are gone. I find this hard to believe that Yamaha (being just the start of peak riding season here in Iowa) would have run out of these bikes.
He did mention that they have a brand new 2014 FJR A in stock and would give me one heck of a deal on my trade-in if I got it. I kinda had my mind set on a 16 ES but at least they have one I can sit on. I further questioned him about getting a 16 and he said he would speak to their Yamaha rep tomorrow and get back to me. I like the updates on the 16 models and since I'm not in a money crunch I think I would rather spend the extra cash on a new one but considering the increased trade-in amount and lower price for the bike it's about a $3300 savings if I got the 2014, which I'm sure they would love to get rid of.

Thank you to everyone who has given feedback as I know don't believe my height should limit me. Now I just need to make an informed decision and see if they can even get a 2016 model. Anyone know why they wouldn't be able to?
If money is not a big issue get the 2016ES. There are dealers out there that have them. Generally an FJR is a long term purchase. Even if you ride quite a bit it's still going to last you for years. You only have to trade if you want to.

I would get what I wanted to start with.

I got a 2013A and love it. I kind of wish I would have waited for the 2014ES that the dealer had coming sometimes.

I love my FJR, a more deluxe version of the FJR would be even sweeter.

It's possible for people with shorter inseams to find a way to be comfortable on a FJR. Consider the FJR rider on the left of this picture getting ready to saddle up.

[img=[URL="https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/FJR%20Travels/2010/Quabbin/_MG_5057a_resize.jpg%5D"]https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/FJR%20Travels/2010/Quabbin/_MG_5057a_resize.jpg][/URL]
The FJR rider on the left and I are about the same size (about 5' 4.5" and 125 lbs ) and I have 50,000 miles on my '07 (the best colour ) FJR
How much money did you have to put into it to get it lowered and set up for you to be able to ride it?
Yes indeed what all did you do to get it that low?

It's possible for people with shorter inseams to find a way to be comfortable on a FJR. Consider the FJR rider on the left of this picture getting ready to saddle up.
[img=]https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/FJR Travels/2010/Quabbin/_MG_5057a_resize.jpg]
The FJR rider on the left and I are about the same size (about 5' 4.5" and 125 lbs ) and I have 50,000 miles on my '07 (the best colour ) FJR
How much money did you have to put into it to get it lowered and set up for you to be able to ride it?
Yes indeed what all did you do to get it that low?
I don't know if Iris lowered hers. It cost me about $300 (keeping in mind EVERYthing costs more in Canada). It prolly lowered it an inch; seat in low position. I never did have the front forks adjusted.

Keep in mind, you GUYS have upper body and leg strength that I don't have. I've dropped it (several times) but mostly from doing stupid things...

Advice: buy the FJR, park it on your lawn, and knock it over. There ... done. (Just pls don't get on the Forum and whine about it ;) )

My dealer thinks they are now able to locate a 2016 ES and make a trade for it. I'm heading in tomorrow (weather permitting) to test ride the new 2014 FJR they have in stock and will make my decision on getting the 16 ES after that.

The were also able to locate a lowering kit that can drop the bike anywhere from 1-4" and includes a new kickstand to accommodate the lowering. I will be able to make a more informed decision after my test ride on the bike and if it is a good fit and if lowering is needed.

I will probably be back with more questions after my ride. Thank you so much for all the insight I've been able to gain from everyone here!

Remember that the seat can be set at one of two levels. Make sure that the '14 you test has the seat in the lower position.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RossKean" data-cid="1313906" data-time="1464375462"><p>

Remember that the seat can be set at one of two levels. Make sure that the '14 you test has the seat in the lower position.</p></blockquote>

Thank you! I will let them know that before I head in so it's ready to go.

I'm a little shorter than you and just got a 2014 last month.

I stuffed my boots with cardboard to make sure I could get it home. Yeah, I'm laughing too. :)

Anyway, the FJR is REAL easy to handle at stops & slow speed. Didn't need the cardboard after all.

I did install lowering links but the only reason is that I ride 2-up most of the time and REALLY don't want to put my foot in some oil or gravel at a stop and dump my wife onto the street.

For solo riding I would have never installed them.

There's no doubt, with the other bikes you've had; you'll be fine on the FJR.

Scott

Hoopster.

Don't be put off by some of the comments here. The FJR is a great bike and going by what you have said would suit all your needs.What you should be doing is getting your backside on one and test ride and decide apart from your height issue firstly if this is a bike you are going to fall in love with. At the end of the day there are always ways to get around the inseam/height issue if there is in fact one at all.

Gazz

Well I went in a rode a 2014 FJR today. After being worried about my height and the size of the bike I was very relieved sitting on it and riding it today. I'm no longer concerned with that portion. The ride also went well. It reminded me of my Ninja 1000 with a better seating position. They offered me a great deal to get the 14 but I passed as I'm interested in the 2016.

My dealer had contacted their Yamaha rep and there were only 5 dealers in a 500 mile radius that have or are set to receive a 2016 ES. Of those 5, 4 had already pre-sold the bike. Luckily a place in Wisconsin had one they were willing to part with. It's a 5.5 hour drive one way to get the bike. I learned that none of the cost to pick it up or the $150 Wisconsin charged in addition will be passed on to me. Although I'm sure I could have done better on a trade-in if they didn't have these costs. I put down a $500 deposit, lined up financing and picked up a 4 year extended warranty for $940. I did pay MSRP for the bike as there are not many left in the Midwest to find.

I pick it up next weekend! Thanks to all of you for the help! One question that I now have: Is there a way to lift the handlebars any? It's definitely more pressure on my hands than I'm used to.

Hoopster I've got a touratech set of risers for $60 and I'll ship them to you. I can pm details if you want. I'll double check and make sure they will fit a 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:
On handlebar adjustment, I find the stock position on my pretty-new-to-me 2014 is about right, so I didn't do anything with it myself. But there are risers you can buy, and also an adjustment to change the sweep angle of the bars that's not complicated. The same guy who made the video linked below also has a video on adjusting the bars on the '14, and I'd guess your new one would be the same. (I see stose85 is already in with an offer on risers while I was typing. I'd guess there are plenty of options, but I always like buying used from the forum, if it's what you want.)

Remember that the seat can be set at one of two levels. Make sure that the '14 you test has the seat in the lower position.
The seat height adjustment is simple enough, once you figure out how to do it, but it's NOT intuitive I wouldn't even assume they'll know how at a dealership. They might, but still . . . The video is

Hoopster I recommend you ride it stone cold stock for at least 1,000 miles before you start modifying the ergonomics. Yamaha's engineers know what they are doing.

Now - that said - there may be some tweaks to be made due to the difference(s) between what the engineers designed it to versus your actual physical needs. But you won't know what those are until you log quite a few hours in the saddle.

Congrats on the new '16ES Hoopster!

Echoing the advice to ride your new FJR a couple thousand miles before you begin changing anything. It takes a while to get used to the bike, figure things out and then search and read the many, many threads on the forum for feedback on various seats, windshields, bar-risers, etc...

It's a great bike...just give it time!
bike.gif

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
That warranty, at $950, is about $600 overpriced. Check out D&H in Alabama, they sell the Yamaha YES warranty for much less than the dealer you are purchasing the bike from. Check out this thread https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/11-fjr-parts-servicing/16841-extended-warranty-purchase.html#/forumsite/20739/topics/16841?page=1
Really. D&H is the best YES price in the nation. Perhaps consider calling the folks in Wisconsin, telling them that you want to cancel the YES warranty item as you found a much better price from "D&H Cycles in Cullman, Alabama - 1-877-3YAMAHA".

You may not even need buy the YES warranty from D&H. My local dealer wanted to sell me a YES warranty for $800, but agreed to meet D&H's price when I presented them with that quote.

And congrats on the new wheels!

I don't know what they'll find with mine- but at just under 30k, my Y.E.S is about to get used. Great buy. At least where you can get it cheaply.

I went ahead and got a 2016 FJR 1300ES yesterday! Pretty excited to starting putting some miles on. Thank you to everyone for all the input. Now it's time to start looking to add farkling. I'm already thinking of helibar risers, phone mount and Highway pegs.

This forum has been a huge help and already helped me save some money. I used some leverage from D&H to get my local place to almost match the 4 year extended YES coverage. Saved about $500 just from you guys and the info provided.

I've also been reached out to by a member who lives close by and has an FJR, so hopefully we'll be able to get together at some point. Thanks again!

Latest posts