It's Not a BMW, Honest!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a car tire on the back.
It'll open a whole new realm of gas station discussions.

DAMHIK.
I was towing my FJR up to Tail of the Dragon at about 60 mph this weekend and had an FJR pause for quite a while near my rear bumper to look over that car tire (I'm assuming) before heading past me on 1-75 north bound. Ya get lots of attention. Guys up on the Dragon are constantly asking me about it. "How does it handle?" they often say. I just tell them that it's got a lot more ability than I do. Compared to the sport riders who come blasting up on my tail, and then flying by as I pull over to let-em by, I drive like gramma. Which is fine. Id rather not grind my footpegs, my elbows, or risk losing half my skin on every corner. Why should I? At that level and speed, the LAST thing them boy racers will be enjoying is the scenery. They can have their extra 5 mph. I get plenty of thrill at saner levels... and I get to check out the scenery without risking my life. By the way, I easily dodged a squirrel today because of the fact that I stay within legal reason of the speed limit. (You know the drill: <8mph over). I'm betting the squirrel was pretty happy about that too.

Sorry, just needed to vent.

Just crossed 37k on my Exalto and reaching the wear bars. What a place to test that final 1/8 inch of tread...

Gary

darksider #44

Glad to hear that the car tire allows you to still ride within your limits.

(Sorry. Tried, but I could not resist that one)

(And yes, it pisses me off that people think my FJR is a BMW. The FJR is a lot prettier than any BMW, in my worthless opinion)

Well I ordered 2 Red "YAMAHA" stickers from ebay (or could have been AMAZON).

Stuck em on the front side fairing a little below the "1300" decal.

The Red YAMAHA looks good on my black bike IMOP....sorry no pics.

No more mistaking it for a BMW.

I thought about getting a BMW round decal that said YMW but I don't want Beemer riders to think I really wish I had a BMW.
rolleyes.gif

Well I ordered 2 Red "YAMAHA" stickers from ebay (or could have been AMAZON).
Stuck em on the front side fairing a little below the "1300" decal.

The Red YAMAHA looks good on my black bike IMOP....sorry no pics.

No more mistaking it for a BMW.

I thought about getting a BMW round decal that said YMW but I don't want Beemer riders to think I really wish I had a BMW. :rolleyes:
SoCal, you sadly underestimate the stupidity of the general population. Have you ever seen pictures of my bike? I have 2" high, reflective silver Yamaha decals along the bottoms of both fairings. I have been asked numerous times since installing them if my bike is a BMW. I always answer, "YES!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, ha, I have other riders come up next to me all the time. They look the bike over real hard and then ask, "What the hell is that? It's beautiful!"
smile.png

Funny, I actually create some of the identity crisis myself. I drive a BMW car. Frequently, when I dismount my Yamaha, I put on a BMW hat.

My favorite identity crisis story... I met a middle aged couple at a picnic. They were fully decked out in Harley Davidson regalia. You know what I mean... shirts, vests, chaps, boots... the works. We sat at a picnic table and talked for about 20 minutes before I asked which model HD they rode. Their answer was unbelievable! "Oh, we don't own a Harley. We ride a Honda. That is our old Gold Wing over there. But we are saving up to buy a Harley so we decided it would be cool to start wearing the gear."

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

U guys know I wear both hats and love both bikes.

content___media_external_images_media_1003.jpg

photobucket-23350-1351265147975.jpg

While on my FJR, I have been asked a few times about what Make/Model it is (like above^). No problemo, it's a good conversation kickstarter.

2012-07-08_12-33-56_125_zps860cf769.jpg

But.. I have never been asked this question (evah!), while on my Beemer...

pu_day_03-01-14_a_zps4836733e.jpg

I personally didn't mind the "what is that?" when riding the Feej. I can say w the Beemer that HD dudes (and dudettes) now will come up to me and want to talk about my bike. Never had that with the Yami. Is that a good thing? Probably NOT!! lol. Stay Pirate free :)

I guess I've made it worse by debarging the fairing. I only left the emblems on the tank.

Just tell them, 'hey if it was a BMW, i would be in the shop'.

I guess I've made it worse by debarging the fairing. I only left the emblems on the tank.
Just tell them, 'hey if it was a BMW, i would be in the shop'.
I have never heard that! (well I have, but towards HD's) My K16 guys (about 15+) that I now ride with (ALL) have never turned a wrench. Never, and I expect the same results or I will demand a full refund! ;)

Admittedly the 1200 owners however have had some bad luck, especially with the drives. Those stubborn owners won't get out of them tho. Dedicated beyond belief.

Going riding with my lil lady... It's hump day, and we try to do a ride every Weds afternoon/nite if the weather cooperates. Cheers :)