It's Not a BMW, Honest!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the only good post TS1 has put up in weeks.
Yeah yeah. I musta took my nice pillz that day ;)

20140625_204451_zps74eca238.jpg

I've had my 2004 for only a week now. What is the first compliment I get? "What kind of bike is that?" I said it's a yamaha FJR. "Oh, it looks like a BMW" I said "Yeah, thats what everyone says".
rolleyes.gif

I returned from a STOC rally (Spearfish, SD) last month. Had similar questions from several riders including two HD riders. I have so far resisted the impulse to be snarky.

I pulled into the local gas station last week on my way home from work... A car load (5) of what I call kids (due to my age) encircle my bike. I'm thinking this ain't good... However, the 'lead' kid says... "Wow, what kind of bike is this? Sweet!" I respond with... "It's an FJR1300." He then asks who makes it...and I say Yamaha. Then, they all just turn around and walk back to their car without uttering a word. This was a rather bizarre moment for me, but at least they were civil.

Next time they ask what kind of bike or is it a BMW, reply it is a K1600. Leave the guess work to them!! You are the winner....better bike at a lot less cost!! Oh yeah, if you have a GenIII remove the 1300 emblems on the front fairings.

Last week, I had a guy come up to me and say "Nice Triumph" That is a first for me, he thought it was a Trophy. The idiot rides a Speed Triple, no less. Go figure.

Funny, I actually create some of the identity crisis myself. I drive a BMW car. Frequently, when I dismount my Yamaha, I put on a BMW hat.
My favorite identity crisis story... I met a middle aged couple at a picnic. They were fully decked out in Harley Davidson regalia. You know what I mean... shirts, vests, chaps, boots... the works. We sat at a picnic table and talked for about 20 minutes before I asked which model HD they rode. Their answer was unbelievable! "Oh, we don't own a Harley. We ride a Honda. That is our old Gold Wing over there. But we are saving up to buy a Harley so we decided it would be cool to start wearing the gear."

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
girl-facepalm.jpg

Folks stopped complimenting me on my "BMW" when I quit washing it 5 years ago.
biggrin.png
Where I work several people ride as long as it's between 78 and 82 degrees and 50-55% humidity and it's a Friday. When people ask which bike is mine, I always say, "The dirty one."

I had 3 bm's and I never felt the need to shine with the logo! - in fact I feel cooler with the Yam logo -