My New LED Running Lights--$75 OFF

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 - saw these in the back alley @ 2am and did they ever fill the alleyway with light, and the road surface in front of the bike.
Very impressive. I had NO idea LED's could project that kind of light.
I'm feeling left out for not having seen these at CFR. And I'm feeling very left out of the 2 am back alley tryst :p (is this considered a hijack? sorry ;) )
It's all the fault of your Nazi cousin, or ya coulda stayed up and partied! Mind you, then you would have been hung over the next morning like I was, but...

I digress.

Next year sistah!

Yes it is a hijack you should be ashamed...so you wanted "in" in the scrum, eh? You can make up for it at the next gathering. You can register people in after eating the moonshine laden strawberries...that'll fix ya.
Then Sac Mike can shine his extremely bright and good looking lights on yer @ss.
:lol: Wheatie ! Are yew drinkin' ?!

I would SO love to take you up on this, but I'm hard-pressed to get any more overnight passes this year. But next year .....

And we'd better check with Sac Mike to see if he's in with his LEDs ;)

Thx for the comments, Griff and Barb, and Auburn, dunno when on the big ones, but I'd guess soon as he had the mockup back in early June to take out to bike shows, etc. Contact him, I'd suggest. McG: no sweat, took it that way.
Oh, and Sportster, I never tried covering the headlights to see them alone, but it's an interesting idea. Watch this thread; I'll take some and post 'em up. But they really do augment the headlights. My bike has the Hella FF50s too, and with everything lit up, I feel pretty well illuminated on the darkest road (and I just rode the darkest road anywhere, 101 through the redwoods in the dark between Crescent City and Eureka during the "deer hour." )
Mike, any chance of contacting ya buddy, mentioning this thread, and asking if he'd donate one or more Feejer kits to EOM as a prize with advertising crediting him for his generousity. If I won them, I'd probably have to install them (looks quite easy) and show them off before leaving the event.

Another peep purchased a set of red and a set of white Hyperlites at SFO from Cyclegadgets and (raining, what else to do) installed them under a overhang next to our rooms. The whites were so bright and impressive, I knew I had to have some.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

I think I'd gladly trade my Moto-Lights for these...

I'm really tired of reconnecting the bulbs and cleaning those fooking things after it rains and I've replaced the seals a couple times.

They look decent, and help you be more conspicuous but that's it (while sucking 100 watts of power)

These look like a reasonable replacement.

But money is tight at the moment.

I think I'd gladly trade my Moto-Lights for these...
I'm really tired of reconnecting the bulbs and cleaning those fooking things after it rains and I've replaced the seals a couple times.

They look decent, and help you be more conspicuous but that's it (while sucking 100 watts of power)

These look like a reasonable replacement.

But money is tight at the moment.
+1 renag....I mean MD :rolleyes:

I re-posted this over on the "Group Buys" thread, since that seems like a more appropriate place for it, so if you're interested in these or whatever, check over there. Thanks. SacMike

Just sold my '05, so let the '09 farkling begin (ok, I started already . . . the cruise control couldn't wait, but now for some major farkling).

Back on topic, I wanted some lights similar to the PIAA 1100Xs I had on the '05, small and fork mounted, more to be seen than to see, so Mike's post came up at just the right time. And, being in the Sacramento area, I was able to drive right over to the Clearwater office. I called up Glenn beforehand and mentioned this forum and he immediately gave me the $400 price. I asked about black and he said he normally charges $20 for other than blue, but threw the black in as well. So, $400 + tax out the door. I drove over and can tell you, Glenn knows what he's talking about and is a super nice guy, as is the entire staff there.

Ok, enough blabbing, I know you all want pics, so here goes . . . hope I get this right, haven't posted too many pics on here . . . pics were taken in full bright sunlight.

Front view, bike not started so no lights on

DSC00442.jpg

Side view

DSC00441.jpg

Brackets

DSC00439.jpg

Lights on, no high beams

DSC00436.jpg

Lights on, high beams on

DSC00438.jpg

Dimmer mounted in left side square mounting popout

DSC00443.jpg

Back on topic, I wanted some lights similar to the PIAA 1100Xs I had on the '05, small and fork mounted, more to be seen than to see, so Mike's post came up at just the right time. And, being in the Sacramento area, I was able to drive right over to the Clearwater office. I called up Glenn beforehand and mentioned this forum and he immediately gave me the $400 price. I asked about black and he said he normally charges $20 for other than blue, but threw the black in as well. So, $400 + tax out the door. I drove over and can tell you, Glenn knows what he's talking about and is a super nice guy, as is the entire staff there.Ok, enough blabbing, I know you all want pics, so here goes . . . hope I get this right, haven't posted too many pics on here . . . pics were taken in full bright sunlight.

Hey, glad you posted. They look great in black, and I LOVE just KNOWING that everybody SEES me! Hey, you and I have to take a ride and light up the road sometime. And right about Glenn and the staff--know their stuff, and great guys.

Mike asked me if I could comment on the install, since I put these babies on myself. There was really not much to it.

Probably the hardest part was finding the first headlight relay (before the normal/bright lights split), which has 3 wires going into it, the green one being the main power to the headlights that is switched on once the bike is started. The service manual tells all about it, but doesn't give a real good idea of EXACTLY where it is (at least that I could find). On the 09, it is just left of center behind the upper left panel. Pretty easy to figure out if you have the correct wire using a voltmeter. Each of the lights has a red, black and green wire and the dimmer switch has the same 3 along with a white wire (used if you purchase the larger LED lights Clearwater is coming out with soon . . . the white wire can just be tucked back into the black wire shield). So, basically, using the supplied wire twisters, connect the 3 green wires together, connect the 3 black wires along with the ground wire together, and connect the 3 red wires along with 1 end of the provided red fused wire together. Then, use the included tap to tap the other end of the red fused wire into the green wire you found on the relay. The spade lug on the other end of the black ground wire goes to the battery negative. Once all wired up and tested, I just tucked all of the wires into the left side area below the fairing pocket and buttoned it all up.

The install of the brackets and lights is very straightforward. Depending on your FJR model, there may be some issues getting the reflector brackets situated properly, but I was able to find a reasonable position for them. The wires can simply follow the other tubes up into the fairing and be tie wrapped into place. Of course, torque the caliper bolts back to spec and you're good to go.

The dimmer switch is easily removed from the supplied bracket and, drilling the proper sized hole, can be put almost anywhere you have room. I chose the little pop out square on the left lower panel figuring if I need to replace it, it is probably one of the less expensive plastic parts.

Overall, the install probably takes 45 minutes or so. Mine took a bit longer figuring out that I had to disconnect the headlight adjustment cables to get the top panels off.

Mike asked me if I could comment on the install, since I put these babies on myself. There was really not much to it.
Probably the hardest part was finding the first headlight relay (before the normal/bright lights split), which has 3 wires going into it, the green one being the main power to the headlights that is switched on once the bike is started. The service manual tells all about it, but doesn't give a real good idea of EXACTLY where it is (at least that I could find). On the 09, it is just left of center behind the upper left panel. Pretty easy to figure out if you have the correct wire using a voltmeter. Each of the lights has a red, black and green wire and the dimmer switch has the same 3 along with a white wire (used if you purchase the larger LED lights Clearwater is coming out with soon . . . the white wire can just be tucked back into the black wire shield). So, basically, using the supplied wire twisters, connect the 3 green wires together, connect the 3 black wires along with the ground wire together, and connect the 3 red wires along with 1 end of the provided red fused wire together. Then, use the included tap to tap the other end of the red fused wire into the green wire you found on the relay. The spade lug on the other end of the black ground wire goes to the battery negative. Once all wired up and tested, I just tucked all of the wires into the left side area below the fairing pocket and buttoned it all up.

The install of the brackets and lights is very straightforward. Depending on your FJR model, there may be some issues getting the reflector brackets situated properly, but I was able to find a reasonable position for them. The wires can simply follow the other tubes up into the fairing and be tie wrapped into place. Of course, torque the caliper bolts back to spec and you're good to go.

The dimmer switch is easily removed from the supplied bracket and, drilling the proper sized hole, can be put almost anywhere you have room. I chose the little pop out square on the left lower panel figuring if I need to replace it, it is probably one of the less expensive plastic parts.

Overall, the install probably takes 45 minutes or so. Mine took a bit longer figuring out that I had to disconnect the headlight adjustment cables to get the top panels off.

I just ordered a set of these. I have been debating over the Moto Lights, but I like the dimming feature of these.

Glenn did just give me the $400 discounted price without any strings. Just have to mention the forum. He said he would honor the price until the end of the month.

I will report back when I get them intalled.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the "blank" post. My paste did not take. They don't call me a technical guy for nothing.....

First, I would like to thank Mike, Dan and Doug for their kind words about our company and products. We have been trying to impress customers with our customer service for nearly 20 years now. If there has been a bad word about us, we have not heard it.

We try very hard to exceed expectations.

Our LED lights were born out of part frustration, and part research into Solar power. High efficiency seems to be the logical way to make the best of Solar power. I just cannot see buying a large Solar array and then "selling" the power back to the grid where someone will use it to illuminate an old fashioned and terribly inefficient halogen light. The frustrating part was trying to find a good after market light for my motorcycle that would not drain my battery and would last. After about 2 years of testing and research, we developed an electrical module to control LEDs in a most efficient manner. By adding a "dimming" function to the design, we were able to further increase efficiency. The ability to dim is lost on some people at first. I hear it all the time, "Why would you want to DIM your lights? I leave 'em on HIGH all the time.....". Well, you might be able to do this some of the time, but on a two-lane road in the country, auxiliary lights can be quite dangerous to the on-coming traffic. And, just because they can see your lights, does not mean that they can't hit you. You might blind them! If the on-coming car happens to carry a badge, you could be in even more trouble. The more flexible a light’s output, the more you will use it.

Our philosophy is to never turn our light off. So, in order achieve this, the dimming function was incorporated. Even at the lowest setting, on-coming cars WILL see you, and most likely they will not "flash" you. When the car passes, simply turn up the lights and illuminate much more than you might imagine with only 12 watts of power usage. The color "bandwidth" of light we chose is unique to many cars. It stands out as something not commonly seen. That is the point. Traditional halogen light is everywhere. We have seen it on cars and trucks since day one. Auxiliary lights using a traditional halogen bulb “disappear” with other headlights and their purpose is somewhat lost.

The purpose of our lights is two-fold:

1) To make you MORE visible to other motorists

2) To allow you to SEE more road signs, reflectors and Deer....(yes, dear....)

As motorcyclists, we notice motorcycles. Our significant others and families notice motorcycles. Why? Because we all have a vested interest in noticing motorcycles. I am conscientious of motorcycles because I WANT to be. Motorists who do not have a connection with either motorcycles or motorcyclists do not have a REASON to notice us. Clearwater lights give them a reason to notice. Their "Rolodex" of visual memories is checked when they see these lights. Even if they don't know WHY, they notice us. If you wore a fluorescent monkey suit on a motorcycle, they would notice you. They might laugh and you might not fare well in a crash, but you would stand out. The key is to offer a unique visual “signature” to help others notice and hopefully avoid you.

I do miss my FJR but as Mike said, I went to the dark "Bavarian Forest" side. Someday, I will add another FJR to my garage. Upon testing the new 2009 at my local dealer, we found that our FJR kit fits ALL years, 2004-2009.

I would like to offer our lights to the FJR community at a special price of $400 shipped anywhere. Yes, even Europe. As an added bonus to all the fashion conscious FJR riders (you know who you are), I will include your choice of colored front bezel rings. They come in: “Earl-y Grey”, “Mid-night Blue”, “Very Cherry Red” and “Darth Rider Black”. These bezel rings are of course CNC machined and anodized locally before having our lovely Clearwater Lights logo applied. No, I will not ship them without our logo. I need the advertising. If you have a reason and are in the donating mood, we also offer our lights in “Susan G. Komen” Pink for the cure and we will donate $20 to the “Find a cure” breast cancer fund.

So, you may wonder, “who are these Clearwater guys……?” We are a group of passionate engineers and craftsmen who enjoy building cool products. And, we also just happen to know how to run a business. For over 20 years, we have been making ultra high quality loudspeakers and automotive accessories. Tens of thousands of customers are pleased with our products. We go the “extra” mile to make sure our customers are not just happy, but blown away. Please feel free to contact us directly with any questions you may have. Thank you all for your time, and if you have any light or electrical farkle related question, I’ll do my best to help you.

Thanks!

Glenn has promised to get the shipped out tomorrow which should get them to my door by this weekend. If so, I will have time to get them on before WFO so people can check them out.

Love the lights but don't think I would go for them at that price. I'll just stick with the Hella FF50s I spose.

doctorj

Thx for the comments, Griff and Barb, and Auburn, dunno when on the big ones, but I'd guess soon as he had the mockup back in early June to take out to bike shows, etc. Contact him, I'd suggest. McG: no sweat, took it that way.
Oh, and Sportster, I never tried covering the headlights to see them alone, but it's an interesting idea. Watch this thread; I'll take some and post 'em up. But they really do augment the headlights. My bike has the Hella FF50s too, and with everything lit up, I feel pretty well illuminated on the darkest road (and I just rode the darkest road anywhere, 101 through the redwoods in the dark between Crescent City and Eureka during the "deer hour." )
Mike, any chance of contacting ya buddy, mentioning this thread, and asking if he'd donate one or more Feejer kits to EOM as a prize with advertising crediting him for his generousity. If I won them, I'd probably have to install them (looks quite easy) and show them off before leaving the event.

Another peep purchased a set of red and a set of white Hyperlites at SFO from Cyclegadgets and (raining, what else to do) installed them under a overhang next to our rooms. The whites were so bright and impressive, I knew I had to have some.

Mike in Nawlins'
Hi Mike,

I just saw your question about donating a set of my lights as a door prize at the EOM. I would be very willing to do so. Could we hold an auction/raffle and donate the funds to Tyler Risk? Her story really moved me. I might suggest that all who want to be "in" the raffle donate a dollar or more in a box and they get a number. Then someone could draw numbers and select the winner. Let's donate all proceeds to her rehabilitation fund. I went down hard once and the medical bills were astounding. I know what it takes to get well. I don't know how to orchestrate this raffle, but if you would like to help organize or steer me in the right direction, I would like to get started.

Thanks!

Glenn

Mike in Nawlins'
Hi Mike,

I just saw your question about donating a set of my lights as a door prize at the EOM. I would be very willing to do so. Could we hold an auction/raffle and donate the funds to Tyler Risk? Her story really moved me. I might suggest that all who want to be "in" the raffle donate a dollar or more in a box and they get a number. Then someone could draw numbers and select the winner. Let's donate all proceeds to her rehabilitation fund. I went down hard once and the medical bills were astounding. I know what it takes to get well. I don't know how to orchestrate this raffle, but if you would like to help organize or steer me in the right direction, I would like to get started.

Thanks!

Glenn
Thank you, Glenn

PM sent

I just saw [Patriot's] question about donating a set of my lights as a door prize at the EOM. I would be very willing to do so. Could we hold an auction/raffle and donate the funds to Tyler Risk? Her story really moved me. I might suggest that all who want to be "in" the raffle donate a dollar or more in a box and they get a number. Then someone could draw numbers and select the winner. Let's donate all proceeds to her rehabilitation fund. I went down hard once and the medical bills were astounding. I know what it takes to get well. I don't know how to orchestrate this raffle, but if you would like to help organize or steer me in the right direction, I would like to get started.
Thanks!

Glenn

Glenn, EXTREMELY cool and generous offer. Hope EOM is very well attended for this reason alone. Dig deep, everybody!