My New LED Running Lights--$75 OFF

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
". . . If you have a reason and are in the donating mood, we also offer our lights in "Susan G. Komen" Pink for the cure and we will donate $20 to the "Find a cure" breast cancer fund. . ."
Barb, take note!

Hey, if you didn't notice, it's good till the end of the monthl!
I'm not about to put anything "pink" on my bike, but I am impressed by the gesture(s) shown. I'll be ordering prior to month end.

Between my new garage and truck repairs, I am being bled to death this month, but I can't pass this up. Only question left is, do I do just 1 bike, or both? Ack...

Anyone wanna buy a slightly used teenager or two? ;)

I met Glenn at MotoGP this year and checked out his products which I got to examine closely... they are immaculate! Really truly excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail... and for the price it's a bargain...sadly one I am unable to afford at this time, the UI checks don't stretch that far.

There is also a big brother to this light system, one I reckon that might fry the paint off of a lane-hogging hog if you care to get that close...you can always put out the fire with the aft-squirters...I think it was in the $1200 dollar range, and will light up the moon or something like that...

Even though I can't afford these right now, I want to commend Glenn for his business ethics, his compassion for the offer to donate proceeds to Tyler, as well as the breast cancer fund, and finally for the quality of his products. A great guy with a terrific idea to help make our rides a little safer... B)

". . . If you have a reason and are in the donating mood, we also offer our lights in "Susan G. Komen" Pink for the cure and we will donate $20 to the "Find a cure" breast cancer fund. . ."
Barb, take note!

Hey, if you didn't notice, it's good till the end of the monthl!
I'm not about to put anything "pink" on my bike, but I am impressed by the gesture(s) shown. I'll be ordering prior to month end.

Between my new garage and truck repairs, I am being bled to death this month, but I can't pass this up. Only question left is, do I do just 1 bike, or both? Ack...

Anyone wanna buy a slightly used teenager or two? ;)
Maybe one on each bike? And pass on the teenager, but thanks. :)

Hey Mike, do your lights have a slight flicker to them? I just got done putting mine on and they flicker. It is not horrible but a little annoying. I didnt ground them to the battery, so I am wondering if this is normal or maybe a ground problem.

Hey Mike, do your lights have a slight flicker to them? I just got done putting mine on and they flicker. It is not horrible but a little annoying. I didnt ground them to the battery, so I am wondering if this is normal or maybe a ground problem.
That was dang fast, Knuck. Mine don't flicker. I'd give Glenn a call--he's great.

o One other thing. There’s a larger version in the works that would be mounted on the fairing, like those big round Solteks, which are about the same size. 6 large LED bulbs instead of my 3 small ones, but dimmable and a low (10 amps total) power draw.
SactoMike,

Clarification check? 10 amps is not low power. That would be like 140 watts.

Did you perhaps mean 10 watts total? In that case, the power savings over halogens is substantial.

o One other thing. There’s a larger version in the works that would be mounted on the fairing, like those big round Solteks, which are about the same size. 6 large LED bulbs instead of my 3 small ones, but dimmable and a low (10 amps total) power draw.
SactoMike,

Clarification check? 10 amps is not low power. That would be like 140 watts.

Did you perhaps mean 10 watts total? In that case, the power savings over halogens is substantial.
Hi Guys,

Just to clarify. Our LED lights are indeed very efficient. The Glenda lights that Mike has draw approximately 1 amp each at maximum output. That is about 12 watts total.

Our Pulse Width Modulation power supply switches the power to the LED which both allows us to "dim" the LED and it improves efficiency. It also keeps the light intensity steady throughout

a motorcycles RPM range. The lights are fully regulated from 12.1 volts up to 28 volts.

Our upcoming SUPER bright LED light (Erica) draws about 5 amps (each) at 12 volts for a total power consumption of about 60 watts. These produce light equivalent to over 300 watts of halogen light.

We lit up the Turn 1 seats at the Moto GP one night from the paddock with a pair of Ericas. Security came by quickly to see what was going on. It is pretty funny now......

I hope this helps!

Thanks

Glenn

Thanks for the clarification, Glen. So to paraphrase:

The smaller sized "Glenda" lights are power-saving auxiliary units with a reasonably high light output considering the power drawn.

The bigger barn burner "Erica" lights are about the same power draw as a set of 55W halogens, but put out mega quantity of lumens.

Thanks for the clarification, Glen. So to paraphrase:
The smaller sized "Glenda" lights are power-saving auxiliary units with a reasonably high light output considering the power drawn.

The bigger barn burner "Erica" lights are about the same power draw as a set of 55W halogens, but put out mega quantity of lumens.

You are exactly correct Fred.

And of course, the dimming function not only allows control of the brightness, but it dramatically reduces power usage too.

As it is not a simple "rheostat" device that uses power, our dimmer actually lowers power usage and produces more "visual" lumens per watt.

Thanks!

Glenn

Glenn, I was gonna post that exact same reply, but you beat me to it. :rolleyes: Because I actually DO understand everything you explained there.

And by the way, this is a bump as Glenn's outstanding offer is winding down--end of the month, remember.

I have a set on order for my 07 FJR.

I spoke with Glenn yesterday and was very helpful in answering all my questions.

Hope to have a report out soon.

Take care!!

Ok, so as promised here is the run down....

The kit:

LED1.jpg

Here is where I put the dimmer. Very easy to get to:

LED2.jpg

Close up of the install:

LED3.jpg

And the pics everyone is waiting for:

LED4.jpg

LED5.jpg

LED6.jpg

LED7.jpg

LED8.jpg

Keep in mind that I have 55w HID headlights that are brighter then shit, so the fact that the little LED lights look as bright if not brighter than them is amazing in its own right.

I do have an issue with the LED's flickering ever so slightly at idle. I called Glenn and we talked through some trouble shooting steps. To keep it short it turns out to be an issue with the HID ballasts and the way the draw power. If I pull the fuse from the HID's, they don't flicker. Also, they only flicker at idle. As soon as I give it even 100 RPM, they stop and are solid.

The install is very straight forward and only took me about an hour.

As you can see, these things are freakin bright. I am used to seeing my HIDs reflect off the car in front of me on a bright sunny day (yes we do get those in WA) but now I can see the LEDs as well. I have not gotten them out at night yet, but since I pointed them fairly high (pretty much at the oncoming cars eyeballs) I imagine the first time I do I will have to dim them down a bit.

Overall I love these little lights. They look cool and make you stand out. Glenn was very helpful in helping me figure out he problem with the flickering. I am sure he can give you the details if you want...cause I sure the hell aint gonna be able to.

:dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so as promised here is the run down....
The kit:

LED1.jpg

Here is where I put the dimmer. Very easy to get to:

LED2.jpg

Close up of the install:

LED3.jpg

And the pics everyone is waiting for:

LED4.jpg

LED5.jpg

LED6.jpg

LED7.jpg

LED8.jpg

Keep in mind that I have 55w HID headlights that are brighter then shit, so the fact that the little LED lights look as bright if not brighter than them is amazing in its own right.

I do have an issue with the LED's flickering ever so slightly at idle. I called Glenn and we talked through some trouble shooting steps. To keep it short it turns out to be an issue with the HID ballasts and the way the draw power. If I pull the fuse from the HID's, they don't flicker. Also, they only flicker at idle. As soon as I give it even 100 RPM, they stop and are solid.

The install is very straight forward and only took me about an hour.

As you can see, these things are freakin bright. I am used to seeing my HIDs reflect off the car in front of me on a bright sunny day (yes we do get those in WA) but now I can see the LEDs as well. I have not gotten them out at night yet, but since I pointed them fairly high (pretty much at the oncoming cars eyeballs) I imagine the first time I do I will have to dim them down a bit.

Overall I love these little lights. They look cool and make you stand out. Glenn was very helpful in helping me figure out he problem with the flickering. I am sure he can give you the details if you want...cause I sure the hell aint gonna be able to.

:dribble:
Great to hear that all worked out. Our lights will fully regulate current (and brightness) at any voltage over 12.2-12.4. If they see less than that, the controller cannot adequately manage the brightness and hence the flicker. For some reason, you bikes alternator is not producing a charging voltage at idle. This could be due to the heavy current draw from your upgraded HID lights. When Yamaha updated the alternator on the new bikes, they increased the alternator output. But, most manufacturers rate their alternator output at an elevated RPM, such as 2000 or 3000 RPM. This is a more realistic minimum operating range. (ok...let the jokes begin.....) Just because an alternator has had its output increased, that does not mean that output at idle is increased. It could actually be lower. The way the alternators internal wiring is wound is what imparts a change in the charge/RPM curve. Simply turning up the idle 100 RPM or so may just be the solution needed. Maybe someone can answer what the factory specified idle RPM is for early and late bikes. If Yamaha raised the minimum RPM, it could be due to the charge curve of the new alternator. One thing is for certain, currently at idle with your HIDs on, your battery is not be charged. The bike is running off the battery voltage only. But knowing FJR riders, they don't stay at idle very long. I know mind didn't.

Enjoy the lights and thanks for the patience while we sorted out the problem.

Glenn

OK, how freakin' cool is THIS? I got thinking about Patriot's nervy request that Glenn contribute a set of these for the EOM, and as you see above, he came through, not only with the lights but the idea to turn it into a fundraiser for Tyler.

So I thought, what the heck, I'm kind of nervy too, so I went out to Glenn's shop today and made a pitch for a SECOND set of lights to be similarly raffled for the same cause at the WFO next week. What the heck, we're his target market here in the west anyway. Well, he said YES again, and I have a brand spankin' new set of Clearwater lights like my own in a box ready to send up there by one of our locals who's heading toward Moscow to haul up there. So I'm thinking selling tickets for a separate drawing, the more you buy the better your chances. Of course, I won't be running it. I just hope you guys raise a bunch of money for the Tyler fund, and everybody has a great time at WFO. (I'm gonna post a note about this in the WFO thread too.)

One other thing, he said he'd extend the special discount offer for a couple days so WFO folks can still get the deal, since it goes on after the expiration of the discount he first offered.

(And Hey Hawkerplt--Dave, They were putting your lights into a box while I was out there today, getting them ready for UPS pickup I guess. You'll be seeing them soon. And you gonna LIKE 'em!) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also saw the lights on Mike's bike in a dark alley at 2 am (where was MEM again??? :p) and was quite impressed. I found them to, of course, be highly visible but not as offensive as some of the Aux lights out there. They also did an amazing job of lighting the road for the rider. Very useful in those dark alleys! :)

Like most cool, newer technologies, there is a premium to be paid. In this case, the price is too rich for my blood... but if I win a lottery, I'll be getting a pair!

Just a thought Glenn, I don't know if the electronics would allow it, but I'd like to see them rigged so that they would brighten/dim with the high beam switch. The less 'work' while riding the better IMO.