My New LED Running Lights--$75 OFF

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also saw the lights on Mike's bike in a dark alley at 2 am (where was MEM again??? :p) and was quite impressed. I found them to, of course, be highly visible but not as offensive as some of the Aux lights out there. They also did an amazing job of lighting the road for the rider. Very useful in those dark alleys! :) Like most cool, newer technologies, there is a premium to be paid. In this case, the price is too rich for my blood... but if I win a lottery, I'll be getting a pair!

Just a thought Glenn, I don't know if the electronics would allow it, but I'd like to see them rigged so that they would brighten/dim with the high beam switch. The less 'work' while riding the better IMO.
I'm still regretting missing the alley gig ;)

Glenn - GOOD point by Jeff. IS it possible ?

Thanks for the update, Sacramentomike.

We fly out that way fairly often and next time, I hope to visit the Clearwater folks.

Thanks again...take care.

I also saw the lights on Mike's bike in a dark alley at 2 am (where was MEM again??? :p) and was quite impressed. I found them to, of course, be highly visible but not as offensive as some of the Aux lights out there. They also did an amazing job of lighting the road for the rider. Very useful in those dark alleys! :) Like most cool, newer technologies, there is a premium to be paid. In this case, the price is too rich for my blood... but if I win a lottery, I'll be getting a pair!

Just a thought Glenn, I don't know if the electronics would allow it, but I'd like to see them rigged so that they would brighten/dim with the high beam switch. The less 'work' while riding the better IMO.

Mary Ellen,

hi. That is a good idea.

It is possible, but it might take a new controller IC board to do that. But, we did build in a feature that would allow FULL brightness with either an accelerometer input or a horn input. Let me see what I can figure out this weekend. One way or another

we can make it happen. If I do, Can I get YOU to install a set! You need to be safe too! :)

Glenn

Mary Ellen,

hi. That is a good idea.

It is possible, but it might take a new controller IC board to do that. But, we did build in a feature that would allow FULL brightness with either an accelerometer input or a horn input. Let me see what I can figure out this weekend. One way or another

we can make it happen. If I do, Can I get YOU to install a set! You need to be safe too! :)

Glenn
Absolutely!! I still have to figure out who will install them for me here . I'll check with my service guy on Monday and be in touch :)

ME

Mary Ellen,

hi. That is a good idea.

Glenn
Absolutely!! I still have to figure out who will install them for me here . I'll check with my service guy on Monday and be in touch :)

ME
Mary Ellen,

Ok. I just figured it out. Pretty cool and easy actually. All one needs is a simple relay with a normally open and normally closed contact. (most are this way).

I will post a layout for this soon. But, the theory is the relay is used to "disconnect" our Volume pot from the lights. When this is done, the lights go to 100% power.

So simple, I had to really think about it. I can include the relay, wiring and necessary connectors with kits if desired. The added cost will not be that much.

Thank you everybody for a great idea.

Best,

Glenn

The relay will be activated by the HIGH beam headlight wire. Then the relay switches the Clearwater POT

I LOVE Fridays!

I just got off the phone with FJRGlenn. Next week I'll be getting some lights installed, and with the high-beam mod!

He's figured out how to set things up so that putting headlights on high-beam will turn the extra lights to full brightness. I can't wait!

Mike

Edit: He beat me by 2 minutes!

Last edited by a moderator:
:clapping: Well done, Glenn. Will take all this info to my guy, Andy, on Monday. You and I'll chat next week :)

OK, how freakin' cool is THIS? I got thinking about Patriot's nervy request that Glenn contribute a set of these for the EOM, and as you see above, he came through, not only with the lights but the idea to turn it into a fundraiser for Tyler.
So I thought, what the heck, I'm kind of nervy too, so I went out to Glenn's shop today and made a pitch for a SECOND set of lights to be similarly raffled for the same cause at the WFO next week. What the heck, we're his target market here in the west anyway. Well, he said YES again, and I have a brand spankin' new set of Clearwater lights like my own in a box ready to send up there by one of our locals who's heading toward Moscow to haul up there. So I'm thinking selling tickets for a separate drawing, the more you buy the better your chances. Of course, I won't be running it. I just hope you guys raise a bunch of money for the Tyler fund, and everybody has a great time at WFO. (I'm gonna post a note about this in the WFO thread too.)

One other thing, he said he'd extend the special discount offer for a couple days so WFO folks can still get the deal, since it goes on after the expiration of the discount he first offered.

(And Hey Hawkerplt--Dave, They were putting your lights into a box while I was out there today, getting them ready for UPS pickup I guess. You'll be seeing them soon. And you gonna LIKE 'em!) :)
[SIZE=12pt]Yep, we're looking forward to seeing these in action at EOM in September![/SIZE]

The ClearWater LED lights will be a Raffle prize, with proceeds to benefit Tyler.

Thanks Glenn!

One last BUMP! Time's running out on this deal and I'm out of town for a couple days tomorrow.

I just delivered the donated set of lights to Old Michael to haul up there for you WFO-bound bastages, so BUY LOTS OF TICKETS and good luck. Great lights, great cause. Have fun and be careful getting up there (and back).

Wow!

Those are some slick lights... Just wish I had a FJR to put them on! Maybe soon...

Did anyone order these for an '07A model? I'm wondering if Glenn's red bezels go with the black cherry Feej ???

I''m odering - just debating colour

I'm going to have these installed by Glenn on Friday, but I'm curious: is there ever a need to adjust them up and down?

I think that when I have a passenger and adjust my headlights down, that's one thing, but that the angle of the forks probably doesn't change enough with the lower rear to actually warrant adjustment.

Does anybody who has these have an opinion on this?

I'm going to have these installed by Glenn on Friday, but I'm curious: is there ever a need to adjust them up and down?
I think that when I have a passenger and adjust my headlights down, that's one thing, but that the angle of the forks probably doesn't change enough with the lower rear to actually warrant adjustment.

Does anybody who has these have an opinion on this?

The angle of the forks will change exactly the same amount as the angle of the front headlight.

Since they are physically held parrallel by the steering stem, they can't be at different angles.

That's actually incorrect, since the rear will compress more than the front, the chassis will effectively rotate back. When it does that, since the lower half of the forks are still at the same point, they move a fraction of the amount that the chassis does.

As you seem to understand, my question is about whether that fraction is significant or not.

That's actually incorrect, since the rear will compress more than the front, the chassis will effectively rotate back. When it does that, since the lower half of the forks are still at the same point, they move a fraction of the amount that the chassis does.
As you seem to understand, my question is about whether that fraction is significant or not.
I tend to think not. I don't see or notice nearly the 'bounce' of light if you will from my Motolights currently mounted in the same location. (I'm jonesing for these lights but don't have the funds yet).

But the headlights do, which is why Yamaha provided you with adjusters, reachable from the riding position. the more you load your bike (more noticeable when 2-up) the higher the lights will shine and you may need to drop them down a bit. More so with the stock suspension than with good aftermarket equipment.

Just sayin...

-MD

You guys are both on crack.

You'll need to explain to me how the angle at the top of the fork is somehow different from the angle at the bottom of the fork. It doesn't matter how much it moves forward or backward or up or down, only what the change in angle is.

Just spoke with Glenn @ Clearwater.....on my way to his shop to pick up a set this afternoon! I'll say Thanks SactoMike !......the spouse's comment will probably be something else altogether when she gets home......

You'll need to explain to me how the angle at the top of the fork is somehow different from the angle at the bottom of the fork. It doesn't matter how much it moves forward or backward or up or down, only what the change in angle is.
My thinking, is that the bottom of the fork rotates backwards, raising the beam of the light in (almost) only one direction. The fairing rotates up the same amount, but also moves backwards. I'm thinking that the backwards movement would add to the inflection angle.

Maybe this thinking is crocked, I dunno. Farklitis sucks.

My thinking, is that the bottom of the fork rotates backwards, raising the beam of the light in (almost) only one direction. The fairing rotates up the same amount, but also moves backwards. I'm thinking that the backwards movement would add to the inflection angle.

Maybe this thinking is crocked, I dunno. Farklitis sucks.

I can assure you that the rearward movement is of no consequence to the headlight beam. Only the change in angle. I was always pretty good in Geometry... :rolleyes:

Farkle-itis only sucks when it's over or you run out of funds. ;)

Mike asked me if I could comment on the install, since I put these babies on myself. There was really not much to it.
Probably the hardest part was finding the first headlight relay (before the normal/bright lights split), which has 3 wires going into it, the green one being the main power to the headlights that is switched on once the bike is started. The service manual tells all about it, but doesn't give a real good idea of EXACTLY where it is (at least that I could find). On the 09, it is just left of center behind the upper left panel. Pretty easy to figure out if you have the correct wire using a voltmeter. Each of the lights has a red, black and green wire and the dimmer switch has the same 3 along with a white wire (used if you purchase the larger LED lights Clearwater is coming out with soon . . . the white wire can just be tucked back into the black wire shield). So, basically, using the supplied wire twisters, connect the 3 green wires together, connect the 3 black wires along with the ground wire together, and connect the 3 red wires along with 1 end of the provided red fused wire together. Then, use the included tap to tap the other end of the red fused wire into the green wire you found on the relay. The spade lug on the other end of the black ground wire goes to the battery negative. Once all wired up and tested, I just tucked all of the wires into the left side area below the fairing pocket and buttoned it all up.

The install of the brackets and lights is very straightforward. Depending on your FJR model, there may be some issues getting the reflector brackets situated properly, but I was able to find a reasonable position for them. The wires can simply follow the other tubes up into the fairing and be tie wrapped into place. Of course, torque the caliper bolts back to spec and you're good to go.

The dimmer switch is easily removed from the supplied bracket and, drilling the proper sized hole, can be put almost anywhere you have room. I chose the little pop out square on the left lower panel figuring if I need to replace it, it is probably one of the less expensive plastic parts.

Overall, the install probably takes 45 minutes or so. Mine took a bit longer figuring out that I had to disconnect the headlight adjustment cables to get the top panels off.
Here's some pics of the headlight relay where I tapped the red fused wire in:

Location under top left panel

DSC00451.jpg

Close up tap of the green wire with grey stripes

DSC00450.jpg

This is on my 09, ymmv . . . :)