My New LED Running Lights--$75 OFF

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just spoke with Glenn @ Clearwater.....on my way to his shop to pick up a set this afternoon! I'll say Thanks SactoMike !......the spouse's comment will probably be something else altogether when she gets home......
Just don't give her my name. (And tell her how much she's saving) ;)

On the adjusting question, IMO since the lights shed a dispersed pattern, the little change would never be noticable, whether the forks point one way and he handlebars point another, or whatever the question was. The light is a "flood," rather than a "spot" light effect. But they're adjustable anyway. Plus if you think they're shining offensively at other drivers, *ta da* turn the suckers down a little! :)

And Ms. MEM, he called that color "Very Cherry Red" back in post #31. I'm pretty sure he had that lovely cherry-red '07 of yours in mind when he ordered the color. Up till the FJR world jumped on these lights, he was only offering them in blue. (And I kinda liked your old avatar pic better.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I've got a set of the Soltek Fuegos mounted on my FJR (from the group buy a few years ago) I'd be interested in side by side pics of these Clearwater LED and the Solteks. Perhaps at WFO someone who stays sober long enough into the dark hours could orchestrate this. If they match up, might make me interested in swapping mine for some of these new fangled LED's.

I would wager that Solteks or PHIDs will throw more light, further down the road, due to their reflector designs.

Having a lot of light output is great for being seen.

Putting that light in the right place is great for seeing.

But the proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

I'm SURE the Solteks throw more light than these little caliper lights, bright as they are. When and if Glenn releases the big ones (Soltek-size) I mentioned before, it's a different question. But the Clearwater lights I have are amazing for cars seeing you, which is what I like best about them. They help at night for "filling in" the whole field out in front of me, though.

I'm sure the Solteks would make you extremely visible to other traffic--if you had them on. But since you wouldn't normally ride in any kind of traffic with them on, that's what I see as their drawback.

Hey if you've been on the fence, but want a set, TODAY is the 31st.

I'm SURE the Solteks throw more light than these little caliper lights, bright as they are. When and if Glenn releases the big ones (Soltek-size) I mentioned before, it's a different question. But the Clearwater lights I have are amazing for cars seeing you, which is what I like best about them. They help at night for "filling in" the whole field out in front of me, though.
I'm sure the Solteks would make you extremely visible to other traffic--if you had them on. But since you wouldn't normally ride in any kind of traffic with them on, that's what I see as their drawback.

Hey if you've been on the fence, but want a set, TODAY is the 31st.
Saying that the Solteks make you extremely visible to other traffic is an understatement! I've been surprised a couple of times at blind hilltop curves by other vehicles and didn't get my Solteks shut down in time. I often look closely at the side of the road thinking I might end up there if I've seriously blinded the driver, but so far, so good. I see that as the only drawback to the Solteks as they are just too bright to even think of running toward any traffic. I'm interested in how the two different setups stack up, but currently I'm not in the financial situation where I can have over $1K in aux lighting.

My Clearwaters are installed and working as advertised. They do flicker at idle, but as soon as you come off idle they are steady.

Instead of the using the allen bolts to attach lights to brackets, I used stainless hex head bolts and added lock washers (internal). This way I can get a mini-wrench on the bolt and make aiming adjustments without loosening the caliper bolts. I also made some bend adjustments to the reflector brackets to bring them in a little closer to the fork.

I wired per installation guideline, but thinking about adding an on/off switch. I gounded to chassis instead of battery and checked the ground using my multi-meter across the negative battery cable.

Thanks to all for the information provided and special thanks to Glenn and Dan for all your help.

Take care and ride safe!!

And Ms. MEM, he called that color "Very Cherry Red" back in post #31. I'm pretty sure he had that lovely cherry-red '07 of yours in mind when he ordered the color. Up till the FJR world jumped on these lights, he was only offering them in blue. (And I kinda liked your old avatar pic better.)
Oh no! Had I mistakenly posted one of me nekkid?! Or maybe it was one of those 'secret spa reunion' ones? :p

Ordered 2 sets of lights today! one for a friend's '05 in blue and black for me. Pays to see and be seen B)

Thanks for hooking us up with Glenn, Sac Mike

I wanted to provide a quick ride report on these lights.

I did a night run from Hooterville, Mo back to Wentzville.

The Clearwaters are just fantastic. They project very well (sides and foward) and the option of turning them down without having to turn them off is a great feature. I run Phillips +80s for headlamps and the Clearwater supplement these nicely.

The install is staight forward. Glenn and his team have been more than helpful with all aspects in acquiring these lights. If any of you are looking for supplemental lighting, I would encourage you to take a close look at the Clearwaters.

Thanks and ride safe.

I have my LEDs installed and they're working fine with the dimmer switch. But, we can't seem to get the Hi-Low relay to work. On low, they're working. Switch to high, and the LEDs shut off.

Suggestions?

ps - I've also PM'd Glenn but I don't know how often he checks into the Forum

That kinda sounds like the MEM relay is wired backwards. When the high-beams engage, the MEM relay is supposed to open, not close.

When Glenn installed it on mine, there was double-checking to make sure it was wired that way. When the high-beams are engaged, the dimmer is removed from the circuit, and that leaves the lights to do what they want, which is full bright. At least, that's how I understood it when I was watching the install.

I love these lights...they are so much brighter than the factory low-beam, and the different color combined with the offset location really makes the bike stand-out. And, I've found that I spend time looking at the back of the vehicle in front of me, to see what the reflection of the three beams looks like :)

Hi All,

Sorry I missed Mary Ellen's request for help this AM.

FJR's have (2) two headlight relays. One controls the power to both HIGH and LOW beams. The other relay selects between HIGH or LOW beam.

The ME-1 relay (kinda funny to hear Mary Ellen had a problem with a product named after her) controls the GREEN signal from our dimmer. When HIGH beam

is selected, the relay OPENS and disconnects the GREEN signal. On LOW beam, the GREEN signal wire is connected to the dimmer and it does what it is told.

I believe what has happened is that the RED power source for the entire Clearwater light system was connected to a LOW beam source and not a headlight source.

SO, when the HIGH beam is selected, the LOW beam source turns off and the entire Clearwater system loses power. It is a simple fix to just change the source of power to one that receives

power when either beam is selected.

FJR's use a dual filament H4 bulb that either uses the LOW or HIGH beam. Our manual actually says to connect the source to a LOW beam or Accessory source of power. I cannot fault the dealer

who installed these as we should have been more correct with our FJR manual. We should have said "connect to an accessory power source". I apologize to the dealer and to Mary Ellen.

Clearwater RED fused wire connect to Accessory power source. (Relay #1 or #2, Green/Yellow (sometimes Yellow looks Gray))

Clearwater ME-1 (small RED) wire connect to HIGH beam power source. (Yellow wire in Relay #2)

I hope this helps!

Glenn

That kinda sounds like the MEM relay is wired backwards. When the high-beams engage, the MEM relay is supposed to open, not close.
When Glenn installed it on mine, there was double-checking to make sure it was wired that way. When the high-beams are engaged, the dimmer is removed from the circuit, and that leaves the lights to do what they want, which is full bright. At least, that's how I understood it when I was watching the install.

I love these lights...they are so much brighter than the factory low-beam, and the different color combined with the offset location really makes the bike stand-out. And, I've found that I spend time looking at the back of the vehicle in front of me, to see what the reflection of the three beams looks like :)

Thanks Glenn! got your voice mail and PM. Thank you for your typically prompt help with this !

Will take this info to dealer and see if I can get this installation finished off. Lights look great :)