Picked-up the 2015

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garmin makes a really nice mount specifically for the FJR it mounts between the bars with or without risers...

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/pna/detail.php?sectionId=AC&groupId=19&subGroupId=15&categoryId=82&itemId=910

Here are some pics

SAM_0618_zpsfeecd94c.jpg

SAM_0617_zpsef4a37ca.jpg
I have 3

SAM_0616_zps8c9085b1.jpg

I have 3 right now, $75 shipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really appreciate it Fairlaner, but I've already ordered the Techmount stem mount that replaces the steering head bolt. Thanks though for the pics because I didn't know that mount existed at all. Looks like a good solid design. You shouldn't have any problems selling them.

Congrats, Lowcountry Joe! I think you'll find the liquid graphite is indeed the best color ever.

Congrats, Lowcountry Joe! I think you'll find the liquid graphite is indeed the best color ever.
As much as I would like to agree, I cannot. The Liquid Graphite is too soft:

There is no denying that the '07 Black Cherry is The Best Color Ever:

Of course I am a bit biased. Dad's '07 was the first FJR I ever rode and that color was perfect. Still is.

I have thought about swapping our saddlebags. I bet the gray/burgundy contrast would be wonderful.

That hardcase looks like mine! I call it a "custom modern art" treatment.

Who's the "hunchback" taking the photo?

...uh, and that scuff ain't nuttin....

That just gives it character!
The "hunchback" was obviously me but remember I had broken some ribs and could not move very well at that time. I took that pic when I got home from the hospital that day. I was NOT very flexible.

And that character giving scuffed bag is in my attic now. I now have a backup plan in case either Pop or I skin up another one.

I'm old a curious. Why do you guys keep the bags on you bike when only commuting or riding around town? I have a small tail bag from Cycle Gear that I attached to the passenger pylon. It is adequate to pack short term needs.

Hey Art,

I guess if I was out for a day of canyon carving or twisty tasting, I would probably do as you do and remove the bags. On those days, the risk is higher that a bike could go down...but any other time I would keep the bags on the bike.

As you also do, I feel it's prudent to carry along essentials in the event of certain contingencies. Everybody's list is different as to what is important to them, but I always carry with me the following (in the hard or soft tail bags) because you NEVER know what is going to happen:

-12v air pump/plug kit

-first aid kit/ meds for pain/inflammation/extra ear plugs

-rain gear/extra glasses/registration/insurance documents/owners manual

-extra pair of gloves, microfiber cloth, spray cleaner (for shield/plastic), disposable lens wipes

-Small plastic hose to get gas from a buddy if I screw up and run out (it happens)

-Basic tool kit/string/tape/JB weld/cable ties

Anyway, that's what I usually have on board in hopes I can find a way to limp home if necessary.

Another suggestion, try some aftermarket brake and clutch levers. In black. The difference in the look of the entire control area changes with the blacked out controls. More importantly, the aftermarket levers offer better feel (for me anyway). If you like the darkness of the '15, you will love what the black levers do for it.
Don't go cheap if you're looking for black levers that stay black. I did the fleaBay China route and the black turned to shiny aluminum color in about a year, and that's with the bike parked in the garage every day except when out travelling. Recommend Pazzo or ASV - I've got Pazzo on my FZ1 and after 5 years they're still the same bright red as the day they came out of the box.

Another suggestion, try some aftermarket brake and clutch levers. In black. The difference in the look of the entire control area changes with the blacked out controls. More importantly, the aftermarket levers offer better feel (for me anyway). If you like the darkness of the '15, you will love what the black levers do for it.
Don't go cheap if you're looking for black levers that stay black. I did the fleaBay China route and the black turned to shiny aluminum color in about a year, and that's with the bike parked in the garage every day except when out travelling. Recommend Pazzo or ASV - I've got Pazzo on my FZ1 and after 5 years they're still the same bright red as the day they came out of the box.
That's good to know...Thanks Russ!

That's good to know...Thanks Russ!
Just to back up my observations, some photos...

FJR cheapies - these started out jet black

IMG_0003.JPG

FZ1 levers - Pazzo - 5 years later.....

IMG_0004.JPG

I'm old a curious. Why do you guys keep the bags on you bike when only commuting or riding around town? I have a small tail bag from Cycle Gear that I attached to the passenger pylon. It is adequate to pack short term needs.
I've never ridden my FJR without the bags for several reasons (2014 A owned since 11-15-2013). In my left saddlebag I have essentials I want with me all the time (tire plug kit + 12V compressor, half roll of paper towels, TP, several water bottles, flashlight(s), owners manual, first aid items, bungies, compact bike cover, 5-hour energy bottles, cell phone, etc, etc.). The right saddlebag is like the trunk in a car. I can go shopping (even grocery shopping) and use that side for incidentals. I can also put my helmet in there if need be.

When I commute, I stay in a hotel for one night. Right side is for clothing and travel stuff. Top box (right behind me) for laptop/briefcase. Perfect.

Very practical and versatile.

Dan

Oh, BTW, congratulations on the 2015! These are the finest motorcycles on the planet and you are going to absolutely love this machine. Yamaha knows exactly what they are doing when it comes to designing motorcycles in this category (SPORT/touring) and they really did it right.

Dan

I agree
smile.png

unnamed_zps302532f6.jpg

Oh, BTW, congratulations on the 2015! These are the finest motorcycles on the planet and you are going to absolutely love this machine. Yamaha knows exactly what they are doing when it comes to designing motorcycles in this category (SPORT/touring) and they really did it right.
Dan
Thanks Dan. I may even get to ride it today...looks like the weather might cooperate for a bit.

Thanks everyone for the lever photos and comments. The black ones with a red or orange adjuster looks pretty good to my old-ass eye!

Those are red adjuster to match the red bike, but you can get them in many colors.

Black or gold would look good on your bike.

Latest posts