Question about installing a riser/triple tree

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehc0720

Reaction score
I want to get one of the handlebar risers that replace the top triple tree. I have a used 2009 that has had the ignition "fix" done. My question is if this fix has been done hasn't the ignition switch security bolts already been removed or drilled out? If so it will make the install a lot easier. I tried to see the bolts holding in the ignition but can't see them. I did notice that the cables are outside the looms for some reason, I don't know who did that could have been from the fix or the previous owner had the riser on and removed it. Thanks!!!

I want to get one of the handlebar risers that replace the top triple tree. I have a used 2009 that has had the ignition "fix" done. My question is if this fix has been done hasn't the ignition switch security bolts already been removed or drilled out? If so it will make the install a lot easier. I tried to see the bolts holding in the ignition but can't see them. I did notice that the cables are outside the looms for some reason, I don't know who did that could have been from the fix or the previous owner had the riser on and removed it. Thanks!!!
Unless the previous owner asked them to install regular bolts, the fix includes bolts that have the top broken off them once they are installed so they become new security bolts.

If you have to drill them out to remove the head. Then you can remove the ignition switch and use a pair of pliers to remove the stubs left. Not too hard to do. The main thing is you need a set of cobalt drill bits as the bolts are very hard. You can get a set a lowes for about $25

ehc0720,

I have an '07AE that I bought used and already had the ignition switch "fix" completed. Unfortunately, the "fix" includes replacement security screws, so you get screwed having to drill them out. That was the most challenging part of that farkle installation.

The next most challenging was removing the steering head 36MM nut. Its torqued to 85 ft. pounds and can be a bear to unfasten without rounding the 6 point nut. Many here on the Forum suggest using a six point socket to reduce the likelihood of damaging the nut. Twelve point sockets are more readily available and cheaper.

My cables were outside of the looms as well. Go figure!! If the factory routed them that way, why bother with the looms. And they must be removed to install the new risers. Worth the effort.

Bob

When I did my 06 I rented a cobolt drill and guide from the triple tree mfg. The job was pretty easy and fast (one beer)and I used my 18 volt dewalt drill. Just really covered the tank and fairing with towels. Triple tree came with replacement bolts for the ign. Really like the unit, and would do it again in a minute.