Southwest Wisconsin Spin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murph

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Introducing the Southwest Wisconsin Spin![/SIZE]

What: A spirited 300-mile tour of the fine roads of SW Wisconsin, including the twisties of Wildcat Mountain and Mindoro Cut. :yahoo:

Who: All riders, makes and models welcome. (Especially hope to see everyone from IL, WI, MN, and IA!!)

When: Saturday, September 27, 2008 (with a possible overnight for a "SW Wisconsin Redux" on Sunday, Sept 28!!)

Where: Start/Finish in Middleton, WI (NW suburb of Madison)

What is needed from you: Post up if you can attend and whether you are interested in doing an overnight.

The specifics:

-Meet at Denny’s (8302 Market St, Middleton, WI 53562) for breakfast at 8am, kickstands up at 9am. Please arrive with full fuel tanks!

-Ride the scenic route to Wildcat Mountain

-Run Rte 33 over Wildcat Mountain South to North (if you are unfamilar with Wildcat Mntn, watch this

).
-Lunch in the vicinity of Mindoro

-Ride SE for round two of Wildcat Mountain riding Rte 33 North to South ...with repeat runs as necessary ;) .

-Explore roads of SW Wisconsin as we head back towards Madison

-End day with dinner and wings at Quaker Steak & Lube in Middleton (website)

-If enough riders are interested, let's extend the fun to Sunday! A selection of hotels/motels across the price range are available in the Middleton area.

The tentative route for Saturday (Sunday is open to suggestions):

SWWISojournSept08-1.gif

The Attendees:

griff

cougar8000

Gramps

Joe2Lmaker

AFCJER & Spouse (both days?)

Big Mar

Big Mar's BMW Friend

grnarrowe (saturday)

eworth (saturday)

OFace

Breadman

FZeedom (from STN)

RedCBRRider (from STN)

Murph

Possible:

skifrik

twistedcricket

chrisflock

dans

Lodging*:

Courtyard by Marriott - $89

Hilton Garden Inn - $99

Extended Stay America - $66

Baymont Inn - $89

Best Western - $90

West Towne Road Star - $51

AmericInn Madison West - $84

Colonial Motel

*This is a list of the hotels closest to the start/finish that are less than $100/night. There may be more that I missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
EXCELLENT plan, Murph :thumbsupsmileyanim: Thanks for putting that together.

I'm all-in; got both days blocked out in the calendar. I'll be in Wisconsin the weekend before for a "work function" so I'm sure the wife won't be thrilled by a second weekend in a row of me having fun, but she has more than seven weeks to get used to the idea ;)

I'm going to try and make it. Let me see if I can trade a few days with someone and see what happens. I will probably be only able to make it Saturday.

Been there, done that, and I’ll do it again. These are great roads and places; I’m in for a two day’er.

B

Damn! Both me and the wife are coming off shift that morning. We wouldn't even be in Rockford by the time you guys are mounted and out of there. Plus, I'm loopy when I'm tired and not well coordinated enough for this ride w/o being dangerous to me and everyone else.

Wish I could go though. Have fun and take lotsa pics,please. Another week and I'd be on vacation too! :glare:

Seven weeks out and shaping up to be a strong turnout. Glad to see interest in a 2-day event. :yahoo:

We just have to get some rider representation from Wisconsin and Minnesota!

Seven weeks out and shaping up to be a strong turnout. Glad to see interest in a 2-day event. :yahoo:
Put me down for myself and my BMW riding friend..... We will be riding up from chicago any ideas for nice campgrounds near Middleton? We were also thinking about camping in Baraboo at Devils Lake and meeting you all.

Guys -- these are seriously good motorcycle roads that Murph's outlined.

Riding just doesn't get much better than this -- "I don't care how-the-hell they do it in California!"

It's both beautiful and fun riding -- and can be technically exciting, too.

Wish I could make it -- but, sadly, too far away.

[quote name='Murph' date='Aug 8 2008, 10:23 AM' post='466446

I'd be interested if it wasn't for CFO a couple of weeks earlier. And I'm also going scuba diving with my son in Lake Superior that week-end to go ship wreck diving. :yahoo:

Interesting, I ride both of those roads on a regular basis. In fact, I grew up just miles from Wildcat, and drove it many a time when I was in school. (In fact, if you think Wildcat mtn is fun in the fall, you should try it in the middle of winter, in a snowstorm, in a rusty 2wd pickup that has a tendency to stall at small throttle openings!).

And now I live just a few miles from the Mindoro Cut, and I end up riding over it all the time.

Only problem is, I live at the 'turn around' point instead of the 'origin!'

Maybe that doesn't matter... :)

I will go pre-ride part of the route next week. I am on vacation for a week in Dells with the family and bringing my Barney with me.

BTW. I am in for the original ride.

dellsride-vi.jpg

I would love to ride this great route (on Sat. only, no overnight action)! I just happened to take Saturday, September 27th off as my "Birthday" (personal day). What a fantastic surprise to see some of you flatlanders heading here to WI! May I bring an additional FJR rider or two from the dark land of Sport-Touring.net?

Will continue to check this thread for future developments.

Kris

Last edited by a moderator:

I think maybe I can do this. Need to verify with the wife that I'm free. :)