Southwest Wisconsin Spin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Came back from Vacation. Rode the Cat ,3 times, :)

Will try to write a complete report a bit later. Mean while. Road is a freaking blast. Newly paved. Grip is amazing.

When youtell MapSource to route you rural be careful what you wish for. Just because it is on the map and it says that it is a street, in Wi it means nothing. At the same time when they say road is closed for construction, ti means nothing as well :)

Looking forward to September.

I just meet Larry H tonight and he told me about this ride. I ride up in the area about 5-6 weekends a year and know many of the SW Wis "Alphabet" roads. Your route hits some great roads but there are many more that you should consider that will still keep you on a general loop. If you would like a route from the Quaker Steak and Lube (Also the County Inn and Suites that is a decent hotel) all the way back to Chicago, email me back and I will send you an excel spreadsheet. If the ride expands to two days, I have several routes that launch from Reedsburg that are fantastic. I am going up to Madison tomorrow night to go to the bike event at the QS+L and then going to do a long ride on Thursday returning home Thursday night.

Also, a public thank you to Larry H for installing a PC into my bike tonight. It is like having a brand new bike...no more abrupt throttle response!!! - Thanks. Dan S. Chicago

[SIZE=14pt]Introducing the Southwest Wisconsin Spin![/SIZE]
What: A spirited 300-mile tour of the fine roads of SW Wisconsin, including the twisties of Wildcat Mountain and Mindoro Cut. :yahoo:

Who: All riders, makes and models welcome. (Especially hope to see everyone from IL, WI, MN, and IA!!)

When: Saturday, September 27, 2008 (with a possible overnight for a "SW Wisconsin Redux" on Sunday, Sept 28!!)

Where: Start/Finish in Middleton, WI (NW suburb of Madison)

What is needed from you: Post up if you can attend and whether you are interested in doing an overnight.

The specifics:

-Meet at Denny’s (8302 Market St, Middleton, WI 53562) for breakfast at 8am, kickstands up at 9am. Please arrive with full fuel tanks!

-Ride the scenic route to Wildcat Mountain

-Run Rte 33 over Wildcat Mountain South to North (if you are unfamilar with Wildcat Mntn, watch this

Ok, count me in & I'll be doing the overnight. I'm thinking I'll be coming in on Friday night so I don't have to leave the cities at 3 AM.

Ok, count me in & I'll be doing the overnight. I'm thinking I'll be coming in on Friday night so I don't have to leave the cities at 3 AM.
Great! Look forward to seeing you there!

I'm considering arriving on Friday night but am waiting a few weeks to make that decision.

I'm in for Saturday...and maybe Sunday if I can find a place to drop a sleeping bag somewhere...or split a room.

Thanks for posting this murph. :clapping:

I'm in for Saturday...and maybe Sunday if I can find a place to drop a sleeping bag somewhere...or split a room.
Thanks for posting this murph. :clapping:
I've been busy trying to catch up with life after my vacation and, obviously, I'm a bit late in getting back on this ride.

My plan is to look into hotels this week and put together attendance counts, etc.

I'm sure those of us who are looking to stay the night would be willing to split costs by sharing a room.

More info to come.

(I am REALLY looking forward to this ride!)

I've been busy trying to catch up with life after my vacation and, obviously, I'm a bit late in getting back on this ride.
My plan is to look into hotels this week and put together attendance counts, etc.

I'm sure those of us who are looking to stay the night would be willing to split costs by sharing a room.

More info to come.

Thanks. I was looking into reservations this morning.

Gramps and I will arrive Friday night weather permitting. We were planning on staying at Microtel Madison. Expedia has a $25 to 100% cancellation fee, so I haven't booked anything yet.

More info to come.

Murph - count me in for Saturday, possibly Sunday also.

Seven weeks out and shaping up to be a strong turnout. Glad to see interest in a 2-day event. :yahoo:
We just have to get some rider representation from Wisconsin and Minnesota!
Put me down for myself and my BMW riding friend..... We will be riding up from chicago any ideas for nice campgrounds near Middleton? We were also thinking about camping in Baraboo at Devils Lake and meeting you all.
My map shows the following:

Crystal Lake Campground - 8.6 miles from meeting place

Merry Mac's Camp'n - 10.6

Wheeler's Campground -11.1

Nordic Pines - 11.23

Token Creek Park - 11.39

Babcock Campground - 13

Baraboo Hills Campground - 13.18

and a whole lot more within 20 miles of the meeting spot!

Attendees and lodging information updated in post #1. If you haven't already, please post up to confirm and/or notify of any changes.

Also, post up if you are interested in sharing a room. I booked a King bed at the Courtyard by Marriott ($89/night with AAA discount). It is very close to Quaker Steak & Lube (which is important to me since I want to be close as I plan on eating my weight in wings ;) ). I was too cheap to reserve two Queens but I plan on requesting an upgrade when I check in. I may or may not get it (but usually have pretty good luck with these things) and am fine if somebody wants to split the room.

PUT me down as a definite possibility!!!!! I would join for Saturday only and part ways on the return at Richland Center since it's an easy ride home from there for me.

You'll have to plan a stop at Vetesnik's Power Sports in Richland Center!!!! It's where I bought my FJR and they'll treat ya right!!

Thanks,

Mark aka eworth

Last edited by a moderator:
Attendees and lodging information updated in post #1. If you haven't already, please post up to confirm and/or notify of any changes.
Also, post up if you are interested in sharing a room. I booked a King bed at the Courtyard by Marriott ($89/night with AAA discount). It is very close to Quaker Steak & Lube (which is important to me since I want to be close as I plan on eating my weight in wings ;) ). I was too cheap to reserve two Queens but I plan on requesting an upgrade when I check in. I may or may not get it (but usually have pretty good luck with these things) and am fine if somebody wants to split the room.
As long as you can get a 2 beds I will split the room :)

As long as you can get a 2 beds I will split the room :)
Alright. Consider it done.

I'm definitely in for this ride. :yahoo:

I'm taking the week off and riding up north I'll be leaving either that Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully I'll get way up into Minn. and catch this ride on the way back. I'm planning on camping all the way (unless it's a monsoon or blizzard or I need a soft bed and a hot shower-which might be more often than I think :lol: ).

Anybody is welcome to tag along or meet me along the way. I have no real itinerary except north and west then back to Madison for the ride.

2 cents anybody?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in for Saturday. My STN friends FZeedom and RedCBRRider are probable (they said yes two weeks ago).