The Old (2013-2014) Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When I replace my tires...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i didn't vote cos i only have 2 tires experience and favorite is a little hard to say - i had metzler from the dealer and they were ok - except i hated the lack of wear bar indicators in the middle of the tire got 7.5k out of them and i'm not an experienced rider-

Went to PR2's they are wearing fine with just 4k on them - BUT i hate the road noise from them - when i first put them on i was convinced i had something wrong, but after some "testing" on different road surfaces realized it was the tires

anyway thought id throw this in, especially as i need to get to 200 posts (nearly there) to be able to edit my posts ! lol

comments on Avon Storm Ultra tYres are noticeably absent...anyone try these

I really liked Azaro 45/46....newer 55/56 sucked

PR 2's [190/55 rear] are the best I have used yet...no probs with the front,I run it at 42psi

I ran through a set of Avon Storm II Ultras. I really liked them quite a bit--lasted almost as long as the 023GT's. The front started to get trapezoid toward the end. The back held up well, although you do get a real noticeable belt down the middle where the separate compounds change. I'd do them again but they're always pretty pricy. Once a year Avon does their $50 mail in rebate and that would be the time to get them...

I do remember they felt very sticky in the corners, and they're good in the rain also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride the Bridgestone BT-023GT because they give me great confidence in both wet and dry and get pretty good mileage out of them.

And their cost is right in my price range.

But I ran the Avon Storms for years and liked them - anyone got any feedback on the Storm Ultra? Anyone? Buehler?

Agree with extrememarine that tire discussion is quite subjective. I see also that PR2's & 3's seem to be chosen for longevity (not just on this forum). To add my data point on PR2's, they are not my tire of choice due to experiences I had. I had a new set at CFR in Mt. Tremblant, and they were great when pushed hard in the twisties in the hotter weather. I prefer a little grippier tire...... but when it gets down into the 40's and tires are half worn, the grip was not as good. Below 40, I wouldn't push them too hard as I had a couple of pucker moments when the rear slid out when leaned over. That's the time to lower the pressure a bit so the tires will stay warmed up better. If you never ride in those temps, then I think you're good to go with confidence. That said, I am interested in trying a PR3 rear, and I'm only going to speculate the formula is similar to the PR2, but the tread pattern may allow a wee bit more flex to work better when it's colder. Again, all a compromise of what one wants for grip and wear, and wet performance.

I like the Z6 front for grip and decent wear. I usually can get 8-9k out of these, and consider myself moderately aggressive. On the subjectivity part, I always wonder how some of you only get half or two thirds of that. I tried a Z8 front, it was OK until it was mostly worn, but the already sparse tread pattern isn't as good for wet performance as it wears, didn't quite last as long as Z6's......... Z6 fronts work for me and are quiet. Question, are the PR3 fronts noisier than others? i.e., that road noise that comes up through the forks in front of the tank? I might try one if you guys say it's quiet.

I never tried a Z8 rear, not a fan of the tread pattern, but will give it a go one day. Z6 rears start to cup and get noisy way too early, PR2's did for me too but later in life. Partly spoiled by the longevity of the Michelin Exalto, have been away from trying rear tires for a while now............ there is an opportunity here as the Exalto is now worn out after ~37k miles, and even though there's a brand new one sitting here..............

I try not to be influenced by price too much..... don't care if I have to pay a little extra for a good tire.

...I prefer a little grippier tire...... but when it gets down into the 40's and tires are half worn, the grip was not as good. Below 40, I wouldn't push them too hard as I had a couple of pucker moments when the rear slid out when leaned over. That's the time to lower the pressure a bit so the tires will stay warmed up better...
Yeah...I agree with you there about PR2 rears in colder weather. I just back off things a bit in those conditions, understanding what's in my toolbox.

...Question, are the PR3 fronts noisier than others? i.e., that road noise that comes up through the forks in front of the tank? I might try one if you guys say it's quiet...
I think a post on this thread has already mentioned how noisy the PR3 fronts were, but I have no experience with them myself.

I like the Raven 009's. I get odd looks when I say that, but they are sticky enough that I've never slipped, and give me enough milage that I only need a new set about once a year (8,000-12,000). I ride year round as long as there isn't ice or snow on the streets, rain or shine. And the money I save puts a good dent into the gas money for trips.

I've never tried the Shinkos on my FJR, but had a set of Ravens on my VFR800 for a while. They seemed plenty sticky enough, Also, no balance or vibration problems and got decent mileage, but that is a considerably smaller lighter bike that the Feejer, so not sure it would translate.

I have some USA Full Bore tires on the Vstrom, which are tires made at the Shinko plant, and those are pretty much awesome.

I have had a lot of experience with the Avon Storm Ultra on my ST1100.

Wouldn't hesitate to try a rear on the FJR but after the trouble I had with headshake, wouldn't use another Avon on the front.

And just before anyone contests what caused the headshake..it was the tire. Not just one but 3 different sets.

Changed to a RP2 and presto..all good.

I know that this same problem my not happen on the FJR but with all the great tires to choose from, i'm not going to take a chance.

Running RP3s front and rear now but really can't give any comparison opinions as it's my first season with this bike.

I ran through a set of Avon Storm II Ultras. I really liked them quite a bit--lasted almost as long as the 023GT's. The front started to get trapezoid toward the end. The back held up well, although you do get a real noticeable belt down the middle where the separate compounds change. I'd do them again but they're always pretty pricy. Once a year Avon does their $50 mail in rebate and that would be the time to get them...
I do remember they felt very sticky in the corners, and they're good in the rain also.
I ran Avon Storm II Ultras on my previous bike, A Roadstar Warrior. Got 8,000 miles on the rear the front was starting to cup at 12,000 when I sold the bike.

The New Avon Storm Ultra III is supposed to do even better on mileage and performance.

They worked well in the rain for me last summer but were easy to spin with the throttle on a hot dry day.

I ran metzlers as they came with the bike, but they have a terrible wearbar identification on the middle, i changed to pr2's , they were noisy and at at 7k the fornt became a chore to use, back is still on as it seems to be wearing well but just installed a t30-gt on the front ( hence other) - what a difference from the TIRED pr2 - we'll see what wear i get etc but right now it is the bees knees :)

I'm just about to put on a pair of BT023GTs ready for another trip in Spain and Portugal. The 023GTs give me the most consistent handling and grip throughout their life, wet or dry. I've given up trying different ones.

I'm just about to put on a pair of BT023GTs ready for another trip in Spain and Portugal. The 023GTs give me the most consistent handling and grip throughout their life, wet or dry. I've given up trying different ones.
My experience exactly. I'll be trying the new T30GTs, but until something better comes out, handling consistency over the tire life wins (for me) every time!

--G

Anyone tried the BT023 on the front for handling, and PR2 on the rear for distance? I tehnd to wear out the rears on a set of PR2 first, and I'm wondering if this might be a solution.

Anyone tried the BT023 on the front for handling, and PR2 on the rear for distance? I tehnd to wear out the rears on a set of PR2 first, and I'm wondering if this might be a solution.
I believe that's Fred's preferred combo yes?

Yes, BT023GT up front and PR2 on the back. Has worked well for me through the past couple of sets. They do "play well" with each other. The front GT does tend to scallop, but never results in an off handling that I can perceive, and they last 12-13k miles for me.

The rear PR2, well... it is a well known commodity. I get about 9k out of one (which is more than I got from an 023GT) and it's always the sides that lose their tread before anything bad happens in the center.

Unfortunately, both of these are obsolete models from their manufacturer and nobody seems to know how much longer they will be around, so may have to find a new magic combo. The last few PR2's I've bought had date codes that were a few years old and I see where some shops have the 023GT's on clearance too.

Had a pair of the T30 GT tires installed a couple of weeks ago, just in time for nearly two weeks of rain and cold. So far I am happy with the feel of the tire. I think maybe a little better than the 023GT in the wet but new tires always seem to feel better to me. Maybe a little stiffer. Running 40/43 front/rear pressure as a start. Once I can start to see some wear I will adjust. American Motorcycle Tire had the best price at the time, around $225/pair delivered to Seattle area.

It is obvious tire wear is directly proportional to riding style. I am not an aggressive rider. I seek and enjoy the twisties. I do not enter curves hot and use the gears often instead of the brakes. Over the past three sets of PR2's I have gotten an average of 11K on fronts and 14K on rears. I do not ride in rain unless caught in a shower and no place to take cover. If the PR2's becomes obsolete, I will go with PR3's Just an observation from an old guy who is in no hurry to reach the end!

Status
Not open for further replies.