The 2015/2016 Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When it is time to replace the tires (pick 3)

• I have a shop change them

Votes: 228 49.1%
  • I change my own (or have a friend change them)

Votes: 178 38.4%
  • I change them in sets (front and rear at the same time)

Votes: 193 41.6%
  • I change them when they wear out (not in at the same time)

Votes: 199 42.9%
  • I always use the same brand and model front and rear (matched sets)

Votes: 258 55.6%
  • I sometimes use different model tires front and rear and select what I think is the best for each.

Votes: 77 16.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My PR2's showed up today. Now I have to finish wearing out the set I am still running. Going on the third season with the same tires. Granted last year was a slow year for my average miles put on.

Dave

Ordered a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3's, just killed a set of Pirelli Angel GTs in 5k miles. Factory Bridgestone's didn't make it past 5k either. Never had this issue on the Tenere(ran K60s almost exclusively), guess I'm just addicted to the power an inline 4 gives me.

Something that MCN test fails to address is long-term handling. As a tire wears it's characteristics will often change, and not necessarily in a good way.

Several years ago I tried a set of the Z8s on the FJR. Took a long tour up to Canada starting in Sacramento, then north to Banff, then out to Victoria Island with a brand new set. Initially they felt absolutely fantastic, stable, smooth, very nice handling. I was convinced they were the best I'd ridden. After about 2k miles things started to change though and in the cold and wet roads around Banff the tire did NOT feel at stable at all and I could not wait to get them replaced when I got home, 4400 miles later. They had about 1k left in wear.

I've ridden several bikes with PR3s and thought they were okay but not great. Really liked (although some disagree) the Bridgestone 023s that came new on my '14, went through several sets and they handled the same from beginning to end, easy turn, stable and smooth. Same for their replacement, the T30, excellent tire except for the rear wear, done by about 6500 miles. My favorite combo is still the PR4 rear and T30. I get about 8500-9000 out of a rear when all others are done by 6500. It's fun to try new tires though, we always seem to be looking for that magic set. Until something really changes my mind though, I'll stay with the PR4/T30 combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.