The Old (2013-2014) Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When I replace my tires...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
PR2 rear, T30-GT front installed last October. I've got a bit over a couple thousand miles on them now and have been pretty pleased with handling and durability. Fairly inexpensive to boot.

I dun put T30s down as my favorite. Had ta think awhile 'bout value vs mileage vs performance though. I went w/ value. The T30s get slightly less mileage than PRIIs (For me anywayz.) butt at under $200 a set (W/ a coupon.) from American Motorcycle Tire, and better turn in, feel, wet weather manners, and grip than PRIIs, they seem like a better value ta me. If'n I could get a set of PRIIs for under $200, I'd prolly stick w/ them.

These dayz I'm matching my tires, butt have mixed brands in the past. I get slightly better mileage outta my T30 fronts, butt usually about the time the rear is shagged, the front iz really pointy, and the handling is suffering, so I just swap 'em out 'bout the same time.

Ain't it interesting to see all the different mileage outta the same tires? Maybe some of you should get digital gauges?
laugh.gif

I have run B023's {not again}, PR 2" {twice} good, PR 3's {once} little better in wet, on PR's 4's now and really like them have about 3k on them.

All the PR;s give me between 5500 and 6500 miles. Didn't keep the B023 on till worn out, wanted to live.

I have not tried PR3 tires but have had very good success with PR2's. I have a set of PR2's on hand to install soon. The rear is a 190/55. I note Michelin is no longer producing the 190/55 in PR2's. Have any of you tried the 190/50? Do I understand it is merely wider but not any taller than the 180/55? I like the benefits of the 190/55 and may have to move on to the PR3's to maintain that benefit.

I still find it odd that some person can get 6500 miles out of a tire. Next guy says he gets 10,000 out of the same tire and then another guy chimes in and he only gets 4000 miles. One guy says the tire is very good in the wet, next guy says it sucks in the wet. I guess the best tire is the one you like.

Part of the problem with tire life is riding habits and road surface. I always get over 10,000 now because of my job. I ride 114 miles every day at the same time, usually, close to the limit, all but 4 miles is slab. Less than 5% is twisty, fun riding anymore.

Others ride on 2 lane twisties that are covered with chip-seal, constantly accelerating, decelerating one turning, all of which are hard on tires.

Look at any racing car, from Indy to NASCAR they get less than 200 miles on a tire, Those same tires on a regular car would last thousands of miles.

Suprisingly it appears no one is overly keen on the Avon Storm 2 Ultra's like i am. Interesting.

Gazza
Too many people have had a wibbly-wobbly one, don't want the hassle.
^THIS^

I used ta like Storms, (For their performance.) but after get'in not one, butt two bad tires I say no mas! Same w/ Dunlop, got sum bad ones back in the '80s, and ain't used one since. Hell, I musta went through over 20 sets of PRIIs and never got a bad one! (Knock'in on wood!)

I'm surprised the PR4 is not on the list. Even further surprised that nobody has mentioned them yet.

I have a set on my 2014. I have the PR4's, not the PR4GTs. I choose tires for a combination of handling and long mileage, not too concerned about cost.

So far, best tire I've ever run, outstanding handling and great mileage (I have over 8,000 miles on the rear and it will easily go another 2,000) and it still has a rounded profile even though I do a lot of slab droning.

Dan

Sorry if this is redundant, have any of you tried the PR2 19050? Is it wider but not taller? As for mileage, I always get at least 15K on PR2's. I ride all surface types but do not make jack rabbit starts and use the gears to slow down. Going hot into curves is not my idea of fun. That style equals extended tire life and wear.

I'm surprised the PR4 is not on the list. Even further surprised that nobody has mentioned them yet.
I started this thread (and the Poll) back in October of 2013. PR4's did not exist at that time.

It isn't easy to edit a poll on the forum without losing the collected votes, and the results in this old poll do not accurately reflect the current trends. I have therefore started a new thread and poll, and edited the title of this one to reflect that this is not the latest one.

I'll also ask the admins to close this thread for posterity and to reduce confusion going forward, in favor of the new one.

Link to the All New 2015 Big FJR Tire Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.