The Old (2013-2014) Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When I replace my tires...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, BT023GT up front and PR2 on the back. Has worked well for me through the past couple of sets. They do "play well" with each other. The front GT does tend to scallop, but never results in an off handling that I can perceive, and they last 12-13k miles for me.
I found that combination for $245 at Motorcycle Superstore, but the BT023GT is out of stock. Tried to price out the new PR4 tires and had a case of sticker shock. I'll probably price a couple other places and see if I can get the Bridgestone GT, but if not, the PR5 front and PR2 rear might be an alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me (95% freeway commuting) Dunlop Roadsmart 2 is the way to go. I easily get 14k miles out of them. I just finished a set of PERELLI Angel GT and really liked them over the Dunlops EXCEPT when the rain started. I could feel them slip and slide (just a little) where the Roadsmarts always stuck to the road. I thought I had found a new favorite with the Angel GT's, they made the bike handle like a 600 and I got the same milage out of them as the Roadsmarts but the wet riding is a must for me. So for summer riding I will go with the ANGEL GT, winter riding will be on thr Roadsmart 2's.

I loathe the pr2 fronts, the vibration is ultra sucky. I think I prefer the pr3 rear to the pr2. Might try the t30gt front with what remains of the pr3 rear I currently have.

I long for the days of the Azeros...

Have just been thru 3 sets of tires so far on my '12.

Stock Metz Z6 wore out in 3500 miles, and handling deteriorated early.

Dunlop Roadsmart 2's lasted 6500 miles, and the handling was good until near gone.

Mich Pilot Road 2's wore out in 3500 miles, and the handling was good until near gone.

Set being mounted shortly is Dunlop Roadsmart 2. My vote.

Interestingly, front and rear are wearing out together, sides and center both.

@SunRider - Not to push this thread off topic, but...

What pressures are you running those tires at? Getting only only 3500 miles from a PR2, especially the front one, is very unusual.

SunRider, dittoe Freds comment, my PR 3s-8500miles and then off to Georges for travelers in need, with tread left.

@SunRider - Not to push this thread off topic, but... What pressures are you running those tires at? Getting only only 3500 miles from a PR2, especially the front one, is very unusual.
Generally 42/42 or 41/42.I started with the lower recommended front pressures on the Metz's, but did not like the added steering effort.

I was surprised by the PR2 as well, and had to take the Aprilia to this FL bike week instead.

addendum: The Dunlop's had any easier life, since we rode to CT on them.

...I prefer a little grippier tire...... but when it gets down into the 40's and tires are half worn, the grip was not as good. Below 40, I wouldn't push them too hard as I had a couple of pucker moments when the rear slid out when leaned over. That's the time to lower the pressure a bit so the tires will stay warmed up better...
Yeah...I agree with you there about PR2 rears in colder weather. I just back off things a bit in those conditions, understanding what's in my toolbox.
...Question, are the PR3 fronts noisier than others? i.e., that road noise that comes up through the forks in front of the tank? I might try one if you guys say it's quiet...
I think a post on this thread has already mentioned how noisy the PR3 fronts were, but I have no experience with them myself.
I have had 3 sets of PR 3's and I liked them just fine, much better than the PR 4's. I cannot say I had extra noise from them in my 80,000 miles

My Gen 1 came with Roadsmarts which i thought were great until they squared off badly and had to be replaced at 7000 kms. I must say they were great in all weather conditions. After 3 sets and a set of the new Roadsmart 2's which were similar in mileage i thought i would try the Avon Storm ultra 2 front and rear and was pleasantly suprised when i got 13000-14000kms out of a set. Loved these tyres cause they never really squared off, dry grip was awesome and probably not quite up to the par with the Roadsmarts in the wet but i would definately have them over the Roadsmart. Considering the R&D Dunlop should be putting into there tyres i would think they would be a superior to Avon but you can forget it.No more Dunlops for me thanks. Currently Have PR3's on the new 14 and they are looking like a great tyre so far.

Gazza

I must be doing something wrong, as I know I do not ride as hard as some of you do, but 6K to wear bars is the best I can get out of a 023GT rear. The PR2s only went 1k longer.. :(

That's a sport bike tire. You'll get 3k out of that on an FJR if your lucky. If it's as big a piece-o-shit as the last Metzler I put on my bike, you'll get less.

So, is there a poll on tire pressures, along with the tires being run?

I have been running 40psi front, 42 psi rear. I check before every ride. On BT-023 GTs.

I have been running 40psi front, 42 psi rear. I check before every ride. On BT-023 GTs.
Same same same. Can't complain on the mileage, but I'm a fairly moderate rider -- avoid both hard braking and WOT.

This year I'm 'fat-siding' a 190. Liking it so far.

Same same same. Can't complain on the mileage, but I'm a fairly moderate rider -- avoid both hard braking and WOT.

This year I'm 'fat-siding' a 190. Liking it so far.
I'm running a 190 rear now also and have been using the same tire pressures as you guys for years. 40psi front and 42psi rear.

It will be interesting to see how the new Bridgestones on my '15 are. I have always hated changing 'stones as they are a bitch to get on and off because of the stiff sidewall. I really liked Pirelli Angels best on my '08 because of the good handling and decent wear. My pet peeve is when the rear squares off and makes the steering heavy. Lots of pressure on the bars to initiate the turn, then it falls in.

I change the tires when the handling goes away vs the tire being totally worn out. I find the FJR wears the fronts pretty heavily compared to my other bikes. By the time the rear is squared off, the front is generally ready to be changed anyway. Years ago I got a NoMar tire changer, so it is not a huge deal to change tires more often.

Rob

Put a T30 (not GT) on the back prior to 2400 miles into Spain. I'd still got the OEM BT023(F) on, it had done 3500 miles and I didn't expect it to last me.

On the way to the ferry we had some very blustery wind followed by heavy rain then rain and wind. Watched a car sailing (pun intended) past me, hit a patch of standing water, and proceeded to pirouette twice across all three lanes of the motorway, ended up nose in to the central barrier.

My tyres behaved perfectly whilst I braked to ensure I didn't join the fun.

No other wet weather on my trip, so can't report further on their wet weather handling. The back end felt possibly a little better planted than with the OEM tyre, but that could be because I was loaded down with luggage.

Anyway, my allegiance may well change from 023s to T30s, depending on their wet weather handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.