Throttle Control Challange & Transmission non-shifts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I don't have my 07 yet I have read many comments on this fourm about an abrupt throttle responce at low rpm. When jwit6 mentioned the new throttle assy. from www.g2ergo.com it got my attention. I contacted them by e-mail asking them if it would fit the fjr with no modification and this was their comment.

Yes my throttle will fit in your housing with no other modifications.

You will either need another grip or else you will have to remove the one that comes on the bike. You need to remove the 2 bolts that hold the throttle housing together and unhook the throttle cables. Then you just need to reassemble it and make sure the cable is adjusted.

T order you will need to email or call me with your information, credit card & address. (Tube @ $39.95, cam @ $20.00, freight @ $4.05 =$64.00)

Thank you!

Sam

815-718-5860

I am going to keep them in mind and if i deem it to be a problem, I will probably try it out.

Mac

The g2 ergo throttle tube works perfectly on the 06. Direct fit. True the FRedH fix is free, but it's a pain to complete and in the end you have a piece of copper wire floating around down there by the throttle bodies. Makes me a little nervous. Making the 06 feel like the first gen 03-05 machines requires a clutch slave replacement (03-05 version) and the g2 throttle tube. Or you can modify your oem throttle tube to match the #400 g2 cam profile if you' re so inclined. Check out the thread in Technical Discussions titled "Clutch operation changed on 06" https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8391

I am interested in thoughts concerning two issues. I have a few decades experience, and some track experience. Approching 2k miles on a new '06 FJR.
When cornering, after I lean in, I usually add a little maintenance throttle-ie just enough to maintain the current speed until I apex and accelerate/straighten. With the FJR, there is so much torque, that even the slightest crack of throttle often brings a jolt with it. I think this is potentially hazardous. I had my dealer remove as much play out of the throttle, but I am still jolted, as hard as I try to be a smooth rider.

I usually use very little clutch during shifts. This transmission is so stiff, that initally, about a third of all shifts, both up and down, didn't occur. I have to let it out, then bring the lever all the way to the grip. Now, with almost 2k, it still does this about 20% of the time. Sometimes I also need to stomp on a downshift. Dealer suggested going to synthetic oil. I think the tranny should be smoother by now. Any ideas?

Thanks,

D4D
Well, I visited my mechanic/dealer-whom I have great confidence in. He changed my oil to synthetic, which he says will help the stiffness of the tranny. He then took it for a test ride. He told me that the clutch doesn't begin to disengage until it is pulled half way in-which is generally more than I usually disengage. I ride with both levers covered by index and middle fingers. He stated that switching to a steel braided clutch cabble and using a higher grade of fluid will help remover the slop. Seems to make sense to me. I dislike having to use such a full range of clutch lever motion. Any thoughts?

D4D

The g2 ergo throttle tube works perfectly on the 06. Direct fit.
As a semi-non-wrench dude, would I be safe in assuming that the g2 throttle tube should fit the AE but the clutch cylinder replacement would be out of the question (not designed for the AE).?.? :blink:

Oh yeah, jwit6 - we sure could use some [SIZE=18pt]install pics, please[/SIZE]. :clapping:

I think you would be very safe in that assumption. But if you're worried, you can check that the part numbers are the same. crotchrocket.com has the microfiche on line.

Pictures? Do you really need pics for something this simple? Two 6mm allens and the throttle housing halves seperate and just about fall apart in your hand. It's not hard at all.

I wouldn't mess with the slave cyl on the AE. The control unit expects a specific (short) span of engagement.

Well, I visited my mechanic/dealer-whom I have great confidence in. He changed my oil to synthetic, which he says will help the stiffness of the tranny. He then took it for a test ride. He told me that the clutch doesn't begin to disengage until it is pulled half way in-which is generally more than I usually disengage. I ride with both levers covered by index and middle fingers. He stated that switching to a steel braided clutch cabble and using a higher grade of fluid will help remover the slop. Seems to make sense to me. I dislike having to use such a full range of clutch lever motion. Any thoughts?
D4D
Thoughts!!! YES!!!

The throttle cam issue is a well-known and agreed upon problem for the 06. Do that fix.

But spending bucks on braided hoses and monkeying around with clutch cylinders on a brand new bike that you have low mileage on, now that's not smart IMO. Ride the damn thing!

If pulling in the clutch bothers you so much, speed shift up.

If your clutch does indeed require more than half travel to just disengage for shifting, then I would find somebody around your area with another 06 and compare. Does not sound normal to me, not for the stock setup. Make the dealer fix the stock setup rather than soaking you with "suggested mods".

Spend your money on the things that make a difference, not fixing things that aren't right to begin with.

With Fred H mod there is "no wire floating around" if done right it is on very tight & won't come loose. Upon saying that, I will be ordering the g2ergo fix as it is much better . When I first looked I saw the g2ergo kit was over $120 but at $60 I'll definetly change......

As a semi-non-wrench dude, would I be safe in assuming that the g2 throttle tube should fit the AE but the clutch cylinder replacement would be out of the question (not designed for the AE).?.? :blink:

Oh yeah, jwit6 - we sure could use some [SIZE=18pt]install pics, please[/SIZE]. :clapping:
I will be installing a G2 throttle tube sometime this week. I will take a bunch of picture and post. As jwit6 said "this truly is a simple job" as you will see when I post the pictures.

You should also be able to see what a first class piece of work the G2 throttle tube is. It is too bad that you can't see it after the job is finished.

I will be installing a G2 throttle tube sometime this week. I will take a bunch of picture and post.

Warsw,

Do you actually have the throttle tube and cam right now?

If the answer is yes, is the G2 tt that you have the same length as the OEM tt?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey All. I think the throttle tube warrants a new topic in the tech section. One of you 06 owners should start one there. This is big news IMO.

Hey All. I think the throttle tube warrants a new topic in the tech section. One of you 06 owners should start one there. This is big news IMO.
I agree with Jeff, but one issue needs to be addressed when doing so: their website is confusing because a thumbnail pic when clicked shows a different profile cam (from the thumbnail) in full size. One of them is definitely NOT the right one and would actually make the problem much WORSE. Maybe someone has some insight into this.

J,

Don’t know if ya missed my PM to ya or what. Never heard back from ya.

You say,

Would like to know if your G2 tt length is the same as the OEM tt length?

I will be installing a G2 throttle tube sometime this week. I will take a bunch of picture and post.

Warsw,

I do have the G2 throttle tube in hand. Its total length is 5 1/8 in. I was told (by Sam at G2) that it is the exact same length as the stock tube. I will let you know if this is true when I do the install.

Bobby,

I talked to Sam about that. My understanding was, the guy that set up his website got the pics mixed up. Also, Sam is currently in the process of changing servers. When you click on the “cam Y 200” you get a picture of a cam that looks very similar to the 400 cam that I have. Except, my tt and cam are silver in color.

Warsw,

I do have the G2 throttle tube in hand. Its total length is 5 1/8 in. I was told (by Sam at G2) that it is the exact same length as the stock tube. I will let you know if this is true when I do the install.
warsw,

Thanks for responding.

Bout the same length as mine. Don’t know if it’s going to be a problem for you but it is for me. Specifically, for me, the G2 tt is approximately 7/16” too short. I can’t use it with my t-meister. Talked to Sam about it. He is going to take care of it for me.

I just got off the phone with Sam, he expects to have new tubes built for us in a few weeks, Im on the waiting list :clapping: I told him about this forum, he may post something in the vendor section.

Thanks again Jwit6, great find.

I just got off the phone with Sam, he expects to have new tubes built for us in a few weeks, Im on the waiting list :clapping: I told him about this forum, he may post something in the vendor section.Thanks again Jwit6, great find.
I talked to him this morning too. . My understanding is that, “he is going to order a OEM FJR tt so he can basically duplicate its dimensions”. He wants to make a G2 tt specifically for the FJR. He told me it would be about three weeks before he can start shipping the revised G2tt.

I didn’t want to “jump-the-gun” on the issues I had with the tt and have it sound like I was disparaging the product. I got my tt last Tuesday and tried it out the next day. For me, Sam has been easy to talk with and seems eager to address the issues I have/had with the tt.

shokdimn :bike:

Warsw,

warsw,

Thanks for responding.

Bout the same length as mine. Don’t know if it’s going to be a problem for you but it is for me. Specifically, for me, the G2 tt is approximately 7/16” too short. I can’t use it with my t-meister. Talked to Sam about it. He is going to take care of it for me.
Shokdimn, Thanks for the heads-up. I guess it will be two or three weeks before I do the throttle change and pictures. Going to wait for the longer throttle tube.

warsw,
any update on the installation?

thanks.
I do have the new longer throttle tube now. I have a few other things on order that I am still waiting for. I am hoping that they get here sometime this week and then I can install them all at once. I will take picture of the install when I do it. I hope very soon.

Latest posts